The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Was 2006 a bumper year for the bizarre books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
With Hauntiques, Vudo Ma Gick and Pentalogy all on this years list could this be one of the best years ever in the bizarre library?

What say you fellow practioners of the Dark arts?
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Aye, SeaDawg, it was a great library year. In addition to getting the above three, I even found Borodin's "Sheherazade" and Poinc's "The Practitioner" in (OF ALL PLACES!) a Gospel magician's shop and got good prices on them.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
You can add Final Curtain to that list as well.
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
I think better years are yet to come.[I get my info. from a dark and unknown source]
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
And add Ron (Kotah) Dayton's books!!!

Gene would have LOVED that his book ended up in a Gospel Magician's Shop.....
teeheeeeteeeeheeehhhh!

Magically,
Walt
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Walt, didn't mean to slight anyone with oversight...

I just thought this was a stellar year.

All the best in 2007...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Walt, yep, it was a strange experience. I never expected to find those books in the guy's shop. A while back, when I first moved to Tampa, I mentioned (not knowing he was a Gospel guy) bizarre magic. He kind of harrumphed and changed the subject. I have to say, though, that he is a really nice guy who always includes a little something (like a TT or something) free when you stop by. He has even given me a book or two.

BTW, Gene Poinc was someone I always wanted to meet. Too bad I never had the chance.

(So many books, so little money!)

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Let me add that Doug Byrd is one of the nicest, most decent people I have ever (virtually) met. Doug, if you read this, I cannot thank you enough. Happy New Year!

Bill
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
“The Practitioner: Journey's Into Grey”
Was Gene's last book published while he was alive.

He was working on the other two in this Trilogy,
Journey's Into Black,
and
Journey's Into White.

For a while it seemed Mary Tomich would publish one or both,
then rights passed on to some of Gene's relatives,
then there were rumors of others taking on the mantle of publication.

Poinc was an amazing man, I was so honored to have met him, and spent time with him in his "cave" the last years of this life. Then to have been able to pay tribute to this magical giant by officiating at his memorial services both at the Magic Castle in the West, and the ICBM Gathering in the East.

By the way, the printers made errors two different times on the cover of "The Practitioner " check yours carefully, if you have one of the duds it could be worth a good deal on eBay or to a collector! I have all three dustjackets, thankfully, but will never part with them.

Kudos also to Bill Palmer for bringing German language Bizarre titles to us in the USA, and also to this year's e-books by Ed Solomon (DoNomolos) for his great contributions to Storytelling and Bizarre Magic.

Thanks!
Walt
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks, Walt. There are more coming.

Borodin simply can't stop writing. And as long as he writes, I'll translate his stuff.

I never met Gene Poinc. However, we corresponded a lot. He sent me some of his original art work. He was a very special person.

He also had a crush on Lily St.Cyr, who was his upstairs neighbor for a while. Later, his crush was on Lucy Lawless.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
I have Poinc's "Illusions For Princes Or Paupers" {thanks for reminding me.} and he gives you permision to build and use the effects. The only thing he asked for was, in return was, photos, programs, and assorted scrap book type items. Oh and yes the biggeie.....CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!!!! Now that's cheap for an illusion idea and rights, where a glass penitration is done by an indian on horseback at a full gallop. [plus 19 more that are are just as unique in presentation].
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you ever purchase the classic C/S/B coin trick from Sterling, you will find one of Gene's clever routines with it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 01:01, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you ever purchase the classic C/S/B coin trick from Sterling, you will find one of Gene's clever routines with it.

Thanks. I'll check into that. Now another question, about The Learned Pig. I cant access my old account and it will not let me re-register. Any ideas?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A couple of years ago, he put us all on the same password and username.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magomarko
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magomarko
Hi,
The Learned Pig Register form has been enabled again so anybody wanting to join should go to:

http://thelearnedpig.com.pa

and click on the "Become a Member" link.

I just uploaded some new stuff: En Rapport by Annemann, Vaudeville Mind Reading by La Vellma, 40 Years In & Around Magic by Leat, The Lightning Artist by Burroughs, and Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Stanyon's Magic magazine from the 1900's. My plan is to continue adding volumes until completing the whole run of this monumental periodical. These books join the dozens we already have online for members.

Best regards,
Marko
The Learned Pig Project
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 01:35, Bill Palmer wrote:
He also had a crush on Lily St.Cyr, who was his upstairs neighbor for a while. Later, his crush was on Lucy Lawless.

So, you could say he's not a Xenaphobe.. Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
AND One of Eugene's final collaborations with my friend Nelson is included in my upcoming book - Theatrical Magic - The Book, which Bill is in the middle of editing as we speak!

And you stage bizarrists will LOVE the Scorpions routine, The Vampire and a few other little gems! But for bizarrists, Nelson and Gene's Key to Room 158 may well be worth the price of the book... Smile
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Gene Poinc, our national living treasure; the NLT as Peter marucci named him, was a joy to know. A very sad day indeed, when Larry White's email said: Gene is dead. It was Gene who gave me the name, KOTAH, It stands for, King Of The Ant Hill.

KOTAH
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Was it Gene...or Grodznoya?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I've been editing an effect that was published in the first Shadow book, and looking at my notes when came across some very kind words on the routine from Gene. He was such a friendly and giving guy,

Ron, I remember very well the day that Gene passed, I had called his hospital room and could not get through, then I got the front desk and they would not give me any information. So I called Larry at home and he gave me the news. Strange the way it happened, I spoke with him the night before and he was feeling great. He wanted to get out of that place though, he hated hospitals.

Wow, it's been a while and I still get emotional.

BTW: When he gave you that name, and you took it, he felt pride.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Was 2006 a bumper year for the bizarre books? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL