The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Beginning There Were Coins DVD Starring Jay Noblezada (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's expected to arrive at Penguin on February 1st, 2007.

http://penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1581

It says "This course will take you from beginner to pro in coin magic".

Well...that isn't going to happen. I watched the demo clip and that wasn't the impression I got.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
"You'll be able to go out and get those audience reactions that I know you deserve."

Jay says this in the demo, and it just made me laugh. I like the guy and his charming personality on camera, but this was such a blatant selling point. For that matter, many "magicians" don't deserve audience reactions - especially the ones that purchase 5 tricks from Penguin and Ellusionist and start butchering tricks for unsuspecting people.

Sorry if this post was a little harsh! It's been a long day.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2631 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Too bad there isn't any mention of the months or years of practice needed.........
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-12-30 22:11, Tom G wrote:
Too bad there isn't any mention of the months or years of practice needed.........

I think you only need two hours now.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
The DVD looks great..... great for me to PoPoun .

It looks well produced and edited but for the actual magic content, teaching, and crediting.... I guess we will all see when it is released
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I learned a finger palm and classic palm from Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr, and then everything else from Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic. It just took months of practice. There are so many sources already on the market for learning coin magic already. I could be wrong' perhaps this new dvd will be great! You never know.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I have an old VHS from "Magic Max" that says by following the lessons, you can master magic in HOURS instead of DAYS! Too bad I never followed the lessons.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I like the post production and editing. Nice lighting and camera angles.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4224 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I may get it. Comes out on my birthday..how lucky for me
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I don't know, I think your better off going with the greats, I too had a Hard time Reading Coin Instructions, but Roth, the Dr. to only mention a few have some truely great DVDs out. I rather pay the extra to learn properly. Maybe after I review I might change my mind.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16967 Posts

Profile of joseph
Yes, Roth all the way... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
I loved how Joe was talking about how coins were everyday objects or something to that effect and then started performing magic with Dollar / half dollar coins.
To believe is Magic.
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
My favourite bit was "most magicians don't do coin magic" who are these most magicians? I assume penguin faithfulls that have realised that even tricks with gimmick coins require a bit of hard work.

I'm sure the production will be great however I learnt the basics from a simon lovell video from repro magic that was shot from one shaky camcorder proving content is the most important thing. I imagine this dvd will teach nothing more than mediocracy. Which is not a bad standard for most penguin magic.
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1224 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Roth for me. He not only shows you palms and switches, he also teaches some really sweet routines. His patter needs a little work though, but when your that good, you really don't need to talk(joking). Jay's dvd may teach the coin sleights that one needs, but I feel that like any forum of magic, much practice is needed. I also feel that learning from dvd's is somewhat easier then say reading some of the explainations in BoBos. Oh well, to each his own.
Swifty34
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Swifty34
I can't wait for some reviews to come up, this really looks awesome
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
724 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Isn't pretty much all of this stuff on Michael Ammars basic coin dvd??
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Eric Gretencord
What ever happened with building a solid foundation with books such as Bobo's and Coin Magic?

Quote:
On 2006-12-30 22:36, MagicChris wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-30 22:11, Tom G wrote:

I think you only need two hours now.

I can't stop laughing at that.
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
-M. C. Escher
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
The thing is people change. I've been thinking about it for a while and I think Penguin is clearly targeting a younger audience (yeah, I know.. I'm clever). So, they release a DVD with a VH1 feel, a techno soundtrack and flashy colors. So what? I bet Jay is a good teacher, he sure looks confident.
As for the content, it looks to be a solid foundation of coin work. I have the Bobo book and there is A LOT of material I will never use. Here for 30$ you have a dynamic DVD with moves that I'm sure you all do everyday for kids who don't the attention span to sit through a book.
It's not worse, it's simply different.

But.... yes they could be clearer about how much time it takes to do coin magic effectively (I'm not ready to perform this kind of magic myself)

(The good ol' days are over Smile)
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
A lot of this stuff is on Ammar's DVD, but not all. And it's also on the Roth and other beginner DVDs.

Frankly, I don't think the Ammar is that great, so IMO the market is still wide open for a decent single-disk beginner coin DVD. We'll see if this one is it.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
"...for kids who don't the attention span to sit through a book."

HEY! I'm a fully grown adult and I don't have the attention span to sit through a book. Then again, I don't have the attention span to finish writing this po......ohhhh, look at that shiny ring......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Beginning There Were Coins DVD Starring Jay Noblezada (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL