The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Beginning There Were Coins DVD Starring Jay Noblezada (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-12-31 08:45, Paul Wingham wrote:
My favourite bit was "most magicians don't do coin magic" who are these most magicians? I assume penguin faithfulls

Yes, the quote is obviously directed towards their crop of magicians - the ones who for the most part, do not realize that magic exists outside the walls of Penguinville. So Jay is probably right - most PENGUIN magicians do not do coin magic. And that is mostly because Penguin doesn't really offer many coin Instant Downloads. Reading is for suckaz!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
rippedandrestored35
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of rippedandrestored35
Ill be purchasing it then reviewing it. I mean most the stuff on the demo was simple sleights I already new. BUt we all know all the penguin kids will be wanting to purchase this in beliefs that this is the best beginner coin resource because its being produced by penguin magic. Again Im not saying it looks terrible. Ill just have to wait then Ill review it for everyone to see.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The "kids" will be downloading this about a week after it is first sold.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Jay seems to be a very good magician. Who knows, maybe this will be a solid project.
Zezenki
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Zezenki
I know some people might think it was terrible, but Born to Perform really got me on my feet, so I am expecting another quality product.
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Great. I'm going to be a pro coin magician after this, and don't you try and stop me. I deserve the reactions I'll get from my crazy french drop vanish.

Really.
Ah, I don't think it will be as bad as you all make it out to be. I mean, apart from the whole blatant lying about it taking you from beginner to pro ( what an amazing selling point. ) and saying that most magicians are intimidated because it's all sleight of hand ( Yes, because magicians just hate sleight of hand. ) then it should be a decent DVD....

...yup
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Why not sell the roth dvd's but call it david roths Xtreme coin magic. then it will be young and hip and at least have good material. although I look forward to learning the finger palm.... I didn;t even know jay did coin magic really... makes me feel like he went and learned some so they could release a dvd....
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 00:43, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I didn;t even know jay did coin magic really... makes me feel like he went and learned some so they could release a dvd....

He probably practiced his ass off for about a year in order to release this DVD.

Thanks, but no thanks! I'm sticking with my Roth, Ammar, Rubinstein, Cummins and Stone DVDs. Guys who are at the top of the food chain when it comes to coin magic.
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
"Thanks, but no thanks! I'm sticking with my Roth, Ammar, Rubinstein, Cummins and Stone DVDs. Guys who are at the top of the food chain when it comes to coin magic."

Yup, I agree, stay with the GREATS. Jay is aiming his stuff at the Penguin Kids out there. There are lots of 'kids' I'm sure, so he should sell a truckload.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 00:43, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Why not sell the roth dvd's but call it david roths Xtreme coin magic. then it will be young and hip and at least have good material. although I look forward to learning the finger palm.... I didn;t even know jay did coin magic really... makes me feel like he went and learned some so they could release a dvd....

I couldn't agree with this more. Nothing against Jay or his new DVD, all the more power to ya, but I began with Bobo and Bill Tarr learning simple sleights and moves. Neither one of those guys are particularly sexy, but they were a solid foundation for bigger things.

Later I moved on to Roth. I remember the first time I watched Roth's first Stars of Magic Tape in the late 80's and was absolutely blown away at the originality and depth of the material. That despite David's conservative coat and tie, and the 1920's piano music.

Slydini, Vernon, and other greats are often overlooked for the flashy newcomer in a shiney techno package filmed in sexy Las Vegas with drunken street walkers gasping in disbelief. Heck, today they even teach the great oldies using young "street" magician's, bar scenes, scanty clad women, and revved up hip hop music. Vernon is probably rolling over in his grave...god bless his soul.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
"Vernon is probably rolling over in his grave..."

Now THAT would make a heck of a magic DVD!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

As long as there's none of my intellectual property on the thing... not gonna comment.
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 14:42, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
As long as there's none of my intellectual property on the thing... not gonna comment.

isn't there a word for that...?
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Quote:
On 2007-01-03 18:26, Zezenki wrote:
I know some people might think it was terrible, but Born to Perform really got me on my feet, so I am expecting another quality product.

Born to perform was Oz Pearlman who actually cut his teeth performing magic for real people prior to making demo videos and DVD's for Penguin... and I belive he had the good sense to walk away from them. Jay Noblezada is not Oz Pearlman... not even in the same category as far as I'm concerned.

I've read Bobo cover to cover at least 8 times and watched Roth's ECMME Volumes coutless times... I doubt nothing Jay/Penguin offers in this DVD is going to increase my skills.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
No comment on the dvd itself, since I haven't seen it...

But GaryW you couldn't be further from the truth. Jay "cut his teeth" way before Oz did. Jay was working restaurants, doing gigs, many years before Oz did. I know this for fact because I've seen him work restaurants in person back then. I don't blame him for joining Penguin years later.

Some of you would be shocked if you knew how short of a time Oz has been doing magic. Well, probably not... Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Luke Jermay has also joined forces with the Penguin company, and is starting to release some material under their brand name, I see. He is another well-read and experienced performer in their ranks.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Is there a coin bend on the DVD?
Magic Fingers
View Profile
New user
Blackpool, UK
65 Posts

Profile of Magic Fingers
Aren't most of you who are slating this before it's even released talking from the point of view of competant coin magicians whom the content of DVD's from the likes of Roth is perfect for. I have only been into magic for a year or so and I put most of my practice into card tricks and sleights as coins don't really do it for me. However I would like to start doing some work with coins in order to have another string to my bow but I'd prefer not to sit down and read bobo or learn from people with a dry style such as Roth. No offence to these guys but surely their stuff is for the purveyors of coin magic. as opposed to the beginner whom Jay's DVD seems perfect for.

And I think there is a coin bend on there, sure I saw it on the demo.
Fingers
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Why does it matter if roth is "dry" unless of course your worried about not being able to completely mimic the routine word for word. I saw that hes teaching edge grip on the dvd.... the concealment that roth made popular again.... just seems to me, that I would rather learn from the real master
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-01-23 11:21, Magic Fingers wrote:...people with a dry style such as Roth. No offence to these guys but surely their stuff is for the purveyors of coin magic. as opposed to the beginner...

It is absurd to confuse a performer's presentational style with the educational nature of their material. If you feel that way about Roth, what will you do when it comes time to learn the Ramsay material? Not everyone who knows their stuff and does it beautifully is also an animated and engaging performer. Why settle for low quality flash when high quality education is still available from the folks who truly know what they are doing (and inventing). For that matter... how about just saving up and attending the NYCoinSymposium event and getting a real education live and in person?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Beginning There Were Coins DVD Starring Jay Noblezada (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL