The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Beginning There Were Coins DVD Starring Jay Noblezada (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Roth dry? He's incredibly witty and entertaining as far as I'm concerned. I've never seen a dry Roth performance. Wry is another story.
luke minime
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of luke minime
Don't ask how but I know that its good cuz ive got it! like I sed dnt ask how but its a gr8 product and I reccomend it 2 any1 who likes coin magic
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1224 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 16:15, luke minime wrote:
Don't ask how but I know that its good cuz ive got it! like I sed dnt ask how but its a gr8 product and I reccomend it 2 any1 who likes coin magic

Let me guess, you work for Penquin, or you are Jay's second cousin twice removed.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Or Jay himself. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 23:13, edh wrote:
Or Jay himself. Smile

Too Funny Smile Smile Smile
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1224 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
I didn't just want to some out and say it guys lol.
Michael Graves
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
144 Posts

Profile of Michael Graves
Quote:
Here for 30$ you have a dynamic DVD with moves that I'm sure you all do everyday for kids who don't the attention span to sit through a book.

Ladies and gents here we have the problem, kids don't want to read, for each DVD you watch read about 4 books. I had the pleasure of hearing a 13 year old kid say " I am working my way through Erdnase" I just about craped um right there, I was renewed with the thought that we may have some hope left in the future of magic.
Michael Graves
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
144 Posts

Profile of Michael Graves
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 11:21, Magic Fingers wrote:
Aren't most of you who are slating this before it's even released talking from the point of view of competant coin magicians whom the content of DVD's from the likes of Roth is perfect for. I have only been into magic for a year or so and I put most of my practice into card tricks and sleights as coins don't really do it for me. However I would like to start doing some work with coins in order to have another string to my bow but I'd prefer not to sit down and read bobo or learn from people with a dry style such as Roth. No offence to these guys but surely their stuff is for the purveyors of coin magic. as opposed to the beginner whom Jay's DVD seems perfect for.

And I think there is a coin bend on there, sure I saw it on the demo.
Fingers

Ok..hope for the future lost again

That is all.....
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Smile
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Magic Fingers
View Profile
New user
Blackpool, UK
65 Posts

Profile of Magic Fingers
Yeah that’s funny Michael. But if you look at the point I was trying to make you will see that I was merely expressing a valid point differing from those of you who have had an unsolicited rant at a DVD you haven’t seen all because of some rigid and nostalgic idea of how magic should be taught. It may well turn out that the DVD is rubbish but it may also do what it says on the tin and put its material across in a concise and highly presentable manner. I fall into the target audience of people who don’t use coins and aren’t about to read through a book on a facet of magic that is not inherently appealing to them. That is not because I don’t think books have a place, I have read many books including Mark Wilson’s complete course in magic, RRTCM and Card College in the short time I have been practicing . In future read the point being made rather than taking it as some affront to coin magic and the ‘future’ of magic in general which apparently is sepia tone photos of yourself in camp poses.

THAT is all…
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 09:43, Magic Fingers wrote:
Yeah that’s funny Michael. But if you look ...

You might start with The Structure of Magic Volumes I and II to work on your language

Or you can wallow where you are

But you get to choose.

Reading remains fundamental.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
paulyjr
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of paulyjr
Yes I too have sen many dvd clones who haven't read a book.
Dvds are fine but the power of the book enables you to develop beyond just a recreation of someone elses act.
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
I think there's too much slamming of DVDs going on here. Some people are visual learners (meaning they like to watch and learn) while others learn better from reading the instructions. It's simply a matter of personal preference. Getting back on the topic of this thread, I admire Jay's work and I'll be ordering this DVD tonight. I was planning on ordering it soon anyways, and now I see that it comes with Jay's "Controlled Coin Flip" free for instant download. I'll let you all know what I think of the DVD after I view it a few times, but I won't be able to compare it to any of the books mentioned on this thread. The only books I own are Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and a few others you've probably never heard of. But I'll at least be able to tell you how well the DVD is made and how well Jay teaches each sleight/effect.
paulyjr
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of paulyjr
I like Dvds too but the problem is they should be used in conjunction with books.
Im sure Jays dvd will be fine.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 20:23, The Conjuror wrote:
I see that it comes with Jay's "Controlled Coin Flip" free for instant download.

Jay's?
???
To believe is Magic.
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
I stand corrected. This is actually Anthony Miller's coin flip. Either way, I learned it and it's great. Difficult at first, but once you start to get it down it's a lot of fun. I'm comfortable with the half dollar now so it's time to move on to the quarter.
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
This thread seems totally out of the topic already. Has anyone got the DVD and would like to share their view after watch it?
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 22:25, The Conjuror wrote:
I stand corrected. This is actually Anthony Miller's coin flip. Either way, I learned it and it's great. Difficult at first, but once you start to get it down it's a lot of fun. I'm comfortable with the half dollar now so it's time to move on to the quarter.

don't you use your thumb when you flip a coin, instead of throwing it with your hand - as shown in JAY'S coin flip video?
To believe is Magic.
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Quote:
On 2006-12-30 22:36, MagicChris wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-30 22:11, Tom G wrote:
Too bad there isn't any mention of the months or years of practice needed.........

I think you only need two hours now.

The way things are going you will be able to hit a drive through, grab your Big Mac meal and learn a full routine before you even pull back into your driveway. I get so tired of the instant gratification attitude that seems to be quickly taking over. The funny part is marketing phrases like: "Watch this DVD and you will be performing this effect 20 minutes after you learn it" are being plastered everywhere. Bleh...just rambling now =/

--Jim
DJC
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of DJC
The dvd vs book controversy has been bugging me for a while now so Im going to say something. Just as other things evolve with new technologies ( yes magic too ) so will teaching. This is a good thing. There is a stark difference between wanting instant gratification and wanting efficient knowledge transfer. It makes no sense to do things the hard way when you get the same results from another easier method. Now I understand many of the old school guys and gals get upset about people not going towards books as much (after all they put in their time and payed their dues), but actually seeing a routine or sleight in realy time is extremely important if perfomed proplerly. You can read about chocolate for years but only tasting it will really let you in on the real thing. Right now there are some great dvds out there ( books too) and likewise there's a lot of garbage (books too). In time the quality will get better overall and the art will continue to advance. And for anyone who thinks you cant learn from other sources than books you should read the Jon R column in the latest Genii.

DC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Beginning There Were Coins DVD Starring Jay Noblezada (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL