We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Jumping Gemini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_uper
View Profile
New user
greece
17 Posts

Profile of close_uper
My favourite card trick.
Your comments please...
vids.myspace.com
friendly
-Haris-
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
You learned this from Easy To Master Card Miracles didn't you? Or from someone who learned it from that video.

I would recommend using the Kings of Clubs and Diamonds instead. The Heart shape, especially is too easy to remember.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Hmmm.... wsduncan, I use the the KS's and the KD's. Do you think the KS's is more easily reconizable than the KC's?
Magic is a vanishing art.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hi

I recommend using jokers! two identical ones. It keeps with the the theme of showing four identical cards three times.

Just a thought - give it a try. Its nice.

Roger
close_uper
View Profile
New user
greece
17 Posts

Profile of close_uper
I don't believe that is subject of easily. each one finds his own reason for which it insists in trick.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
I do have some comments:

1. I have a very difficult time sitting through a magic trick with absolutely no presentation. Is this how you would perform it for lay audiences? I can't imagine a layperson being interested in sitting through it unless you are able to guide them through what you are trying to accomplish.

2. What was the purpose of even showing and switching out 4 aces? It adds absolutely nothing to the trick. It does make the trick about 15 seconds longer than it needs to be.

3. The first phase where you are showing the Ace of Spades is shorter than in Darwin Ortiz's original version of it and I think leaving out some of the revelations of the AS rising to the top will weaken the effect. The purpose of this first phase is to make the spectators think that you have 4 identical cards and the conviction level isn't quite there if you shorten this part of the routine.

4. I agree with wsDuncan in that if you are going to show the 4 kings at the end, you should use the KC and KD. You should also cover the pips a bit when showing the last king. Roger Kelly mentioned using identical jokers and although I haven't done it that way, I am sure it will work very well in this effect.

5. Your Geminii count needs some work. It is supposed to be a secret sleight and I believe the thought behind it is to make the spectator believe you are showing the card from the bottom. Your first turn over is pretty obvious that you are pulling the two from the middle away.

Jumping Geminii is also one of my favorite effects and one I have been using for many years. I've seen many many magicians make changes to this effect for no apparent reason other than just to change something. Whenever you make a change to an existing effect, it should be an improvement - it could be a presentatioal improvement or an improvement of the method but the improvement should effect audience impact.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
The four kings are shown so quickly that all the spectators see are four identical looking cards as you say to them, "The Four Kings." The power of suggestion seems to be overlooked by a lot of magicians. If you tell them there are four kings and they see anything remotely resembling what you said, their brain will make that connection. You don't need to get fancy with suits or jokers, in my opinion. For Jumping Gemini I've had a lot of fun with Greg Wilson's version that uses the "Four Card Monte" hook. It always gets fantastic responses from almost any audience. And like Michael Ammar said, "This is about the most magic you can get out of four cards."
close_uper
View Profile
New user
greece
17 Posts

Profile of close_uper
Thanks all for your comments. I will better gregory wilson?
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
I agree that Gregory Wilson's version get's great response. I've been using it for over 10 years and it has never failed to get great reations. It can be found on his video Double Take.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I learned it from the Gregory Wilson: In Action three disk set; I've never owned Double Take. By the time I had found it I was well beyond needing to learn DLs. Can anyone tell me if there's enough good material to still check it out? You can PM me if you don't want to hijack this thread, thanks.
close_uper
View Profile
New user
greece
17 Posts

Profile of close_uper
Dear Silly Walter the Polar Bear,
As you have already realise, my English are nowhere near to a good shape and this is the reason why I am mute on the video. It would be very borring for you to watch this effect in my language (Greeks).
I believe that these kind of comments it would be better to be thought twice.
It supposed that the comments are here to help someone that asks for help and not to insult him, as they obviusly insulting me here.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 15:17, close_uper wrote:
Dear Silly Walter the Polar Bear,
As you have already realise, my English are nowhere near to a good shape and this is the reason why I am mute on the video. It would be very borring for you to watch this effect in my language (Greeks).
I believe that these kind of comments it would be better to be thought twice.
It supposed that the comments are here to help someone that asks for help and not to insult him, as they obviusly insulting me here.



Close_uper,

In all fairness, you were the one that asked for comments. Trust me, it would be far better to perform the effect in your native tongue or at least have some background music rather than posting a version where you can hear the cards scrape against each other.

Is this how you respond to all criticism? If so, you need to stop posting videos and asking people for help.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 19:41, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 15:17, close_uper wrote:
Dear Silly Walter the Polar Bear,
As you have already realise, my English are nowhere near to a good shape and this is the reason why I am mute on the video. It would be very borring for you to watch this effect in my language (Greeks).
I believe that these kind of comments it would be better to be thought twice.
It supposed that the comments are here to help someone that asks for help and not to insult him, as they obviusly insulting me here.



Close_uper,

In all fairness, you were the one that asked for comments. Trust me, it would be far better to perform the effect in your native tongue or at least have some background music rather than posting a version where you can hear the cards scrape against each other.


Then you might have said that the first time instead of bashing his performance. You didn't suggest that it be performed in his native tongue or to music, but instead you critized very harshly the "lack of performance." It seems as though he was just looking for comments on the technique. In terms of technique, it was well executed. I only assumed when I first watched it that in a real performance there would be a script and some actual routine.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 20:13, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 19:41, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 15:17, close_uper wrote:
Dear Silly Walter the Polar Bear,
As you have already realise, my English are nowhere near to a good shape and this is the reason why I am mute on the video. It would be very borring for you to watch this effect in my language (Greeks).
I believe that these kind of comments it would be better to be thought twice.
It supposed that the comments are here to help someone that asks for help and not to insult him, as they obviusly insulting me here.



Close_uper,

In all fairness, you were the one that asked for comments. Trust me, it would be far better to perform the effect in your native tongue or at least have some background music rather than posting a version where you can hear the cards scrape against each other.


Then you might have said that the first time instead of bashing his performance. You didn't suggest that it be performed in his native tongue or to music, but instead you critized very harshly the "lack of performance." It seems as though he was just looking for comments on the technique. In terms of technique, it was well executed. I only assumed when I first watched it that in a real performance there would be a script and some actual routine.


Brian.

I didn't criticize him harshly for "lack of performance". I asked him a legitimate question - does he perform this with no presentation. I asked because there are plenty of people that post videos on this site over the last year (or however long Youtube has been around) that are just them going through the motions of the trick with no presentation and no music and it is tough to watch. I am sure you have seen the same kind of videos posted. If you are going to jump on me, don't put words in my mouth and then try to come to the rescue.

Also, his technique was NOT well executed. His geminii count needs work as does the rest of the routine. He added an initial phase that does nothing but clutter the effect and he shortened a phase that builds up the conviction which helps make the rest of the routine a miracle. This is one of my favorite effects and I have seen many magicians absolutely butcher it over the years. Be honest Brian - If you performed this effect for your audiences the same way you saw on close_uper's video, would you really be satisfied? Seriously. Even assuming that he used a wonderful presentation, do you think that his technique was good?

If you think his video demonstrated "well executed technique" then you are going to put yourself in a position of getting torn to shreds by a lay audience if that is your benchmark. If you think that his technique needs improvement and it is not well executed, then why lie to him about it when you could actually help him?

Look, honestly my intent was to help him. If what I wrote hurt everyones feelings then I would hate to see how you guys would react if someone really wrote something mean. Also, don't ask people for comments and get mad when something that isn't equivalent to hero worship isn't written.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
His technique wasn't the best in the world, it could be much better. It would probably fly for a lay audience. Would I be happy with that execution, if it was me? Probably not. I've been performing that effect for entirely too long and while I could never say it's flawless, it's pretty close. Still it was fine. I'm not attacking you, I was just trying to support close_uper because he felt as though you were mocking the fact that he doesn't speak our language.

As for cluttering the initial phase, correct me if I'm wrong but that was the exact handling from the Michael Ammar ETMCM series, was it not? So if there's anyone to blame for the handling, blame Ammar, not him.

I don't have a problem with you Silly Walter, I was just trying to back him up. I know you meant well.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
I haven't seen Michael Ammar's handling of the effect so I really am not 100% certain. I learned it from Darwin Ortiz's "At The Card Table" book and I've seen him perform it on video many times over. If Michael Ammar's handling is different, wait until I get my hands on him !!

No problem with all of the misunderstanding. If it were all face to face conversation, everyone would have understood everyone's intent and most likely would have a good time. One of the drawbacks of written communication, unfortunately.

Very good.
close_uper
View Profile
New user
greece
17 Posts

Profile of close_uper
I agree with this. it was misunderstanding, because if was real, then that was different. So, thanks for your comments and the exchange of opinions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Jumping Gemini (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL