The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Schoolcraft Coin Set for Coin One? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 10:18, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Why are folks going for soft coins for this trick?

I just purchased coinone, haven't gotten it yet, but received an email from Homer which mentioned soft coins may handle better for parts of the routine.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Michael, thanks, couldn't have done it without you.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok I got Some Clorox Bleach and couldn't find Whites Polish but I found, Weiman Royal Sterling Silver Polish. Would that work? And how long again?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
They get dark pretty fast, just a couple of minutes, keep an eye on them.
I didn't have any silver polish, I just used ashes,
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ashes? What do you mean?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Ashes are an old fashioned home made metal polish, mild and not very abrasive. After I darkened ny coins I rubbed the highlights with ashes to lighten them, because I didn't have any commercial silver polish. It's a little tedious, but it works well. Wood ashes are best, if you have a fireplace, but cigar or cigarette ashes work just fine, they just stink a little bit more.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK I'm started to understand. So how are you just paying attention to the Highlighed parts?
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK after working on my coins with the above method this is what I got. The picture is not that good but the coins look nice.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/paisa23/DSCN0726.jpg
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
I just tried this with a single Walking Liberty, using bleach and ash. The result is very nice, and I am going to experiment with some other coins too.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Has anyone tried the smae process with the English Copper coin?
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
Yes, nothing happened.

I think this only works for silver, or silvery, metals.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 17:33, paisa23 wrote:
OK I'm started to understand. So how are you just paying attention to the Highlighed parts?

The ashes are a very gentle polish, when you work it on the coin surface you will find it cleans the tarnish off the highlights first. just take your time until you get the amount of contrast you like.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 19:06, paisa23 wrote:
OK after working on my coins with the above method this is what I got. The picture is not that good but the coins look nice.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/paisa23/DSCN0726.jpg

I was having the same results using on-camera flash, try indirect daylight, it gives you better contrast. I can see they darkened nicely though, they look good.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Beautiful. I did the bleach trick and came out great, but I seemed to over polish with the silver polish. I think I'm gonna use the ash method. Dstachowiak, those coins are beautiful. They look pretty "hard" are they in good shape and close to uncirc?? I've only seen warn morgans and didn't realize such good condition coins could even look like that!! Thanks for all the tips!!

Stevie D
-Stevie D
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
No offense Stevie but I noticed you keep spelling worn as "warn".
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Stevie D, I was up in the middle of the night and started to answer this but I guess I never hit send LOL.
Yes the coin dealer I got them from had a box of 1921 Morgans, all in good shape but circulated, and not of collectable quality because the 1921s are very common anyway, so unless they are brilliant uncirculated collectors aren't that interested. I got them for somewhere between $10-15 each, a little more than bullion silver but not outrageous.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
I have now "aged" three WL half dollars, which look wonderful. Photos would not show the results very well, but each was left for different amounts of time in the bleach (one for 10 minutes). I used ash as indicated and toothpaste to get rid of any imperfections, and the results are better than I expected.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing the technique.
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
Paisa, you will not go wrong buying a deans set. I bought mine about a year and a half ago. You might consider purchasing a matched copper silver, a shaved copper to match (the coppers have smooth sides), a matched remilled flipper, and an expanded shell at the same time. Jamie will ensure that all will fit perfectly with the unexpanded shell and will match in look and feel. Having the expanded shell will cover your unexpanded shell. This will cover just about all effects with one coin set. If you cant afford to get all of those when you buy your deans set, then when you can afford to get the other ones, send your deans set back to him and he will match them to your existing set. At any rate, it is a set that will give you plenty of use.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Sounds like something I might have to save up to do.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
DStachowiak I really like your aged look. I want to try to do that, can you PM me with the steps. As far as ashes go?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Schoolcraft Coin Set for Coin One? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL