The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Does Anybody Perform Tamed Card? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Okay here it goes. I have many years experience performing close up and I do this full time. Being a huge fan of the late Tommy Wonder, I have worked on his Tamed Card routine and I am ready to offer it to the public. My ONLY problem is the wax. I have tried hard wax, soft wax, and a mixture of both. Can anyone please assist me in letting me know exactly how much to use and WHERE to place it? I did ask this in another fourm but I still am a bit confussed. Do I use all four corners of the card or on the center pip only? I have made so many attempts and nothing seems to be full proof. I even have tried using removable double sided tape and non removable double sided tape. I am sitting at my desk with both HARD bee's white wax and "sticky wax snd an army of double sided tape!" HELP!!!!!!
LOL!
Really could use some sound advice from somebody that acutally performs this routine. Am I alone on this one?
Any comment is appreiceated.
Thanks so much,
KW
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Use double stick tape or 3M Spray mount.

Either one spot in the middle, or two of them evenly spaced.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Daegs,
Never thought about using 3M spraymount before....mmmmm. I know the product well. I will give that a try but I am concerned about damaging the card. When using double stick tape....removeable or permament?
Thanks a lot my friend for the advice.

Anyone else have anything to possibly add to this? The spray mount only destroyed a couple custom made cards.
Ken W.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1485 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
For spray mount. Do a little template with paper (with a little hole, or two, in it) and place it on the card, covering it except for the hole. Just put a little bit of spray-glue and it will be a very nice spot in the middle. Wait quite a bit before applying, in order to make the spray-mount "repsitionnable", according that you bought the repositionnable one. It should work.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
KenW,
Have you tried 3M REMOUNT, rather than 3M SPRAY MOUNT?
REMOUNT is the stuff used by Richard Sanders.
REMOUNT is more like a spray version of paper cement, therfore it does not destroy the card.

However, I understand from other treads that REMOUNT is hard to find.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Thanks Guys.
That helps a great deal. I will pick up some Remount asap and use the template!
Thanks agian. I feel very confident this time around.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Professorwhu,
You arn't kidding when you said: REMOUNT IS HARD TO FIND! Been looking for the past three hours online and driving to every art supply store I know! LOL!

ANYONE out there in Orange County, CA know where I might find 3M REMOUNT SPRAY?

Thanks again,
KW
Magically,
Ken W.
Great response!
vo_knows
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of vo_knows
I also went on a wild goose chase looking for 3M Remount for about a month. I finally found a good alternative available from Michael's Arts & Crafts - Krylon 7020 Easy Tack Repositional Adhesive.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displ......m=gc0277
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Vo_knows.
I am in the middle of spraying the cards with the templete. I got the "Easy Tack" from Michaels! Thanks so much for the insight. Looks like this might just do the job! Thanks again.
KW
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Well, to my dissapointment the spray got dirty quicker than the wax did. Guess I'll keep searching for the perfect solution to this frustrating little problem.
Anyone else have any ideas as to how to go about this?
Thanks,
KW
I have the routine down patt but won't consider performing it until I solve this problem of the wax and sprays getting dirty quickly or not sticking enough to hold the cards together.
Guess I am just a profecionist at heart.
(Too bad I can't seem to spell as well).
KW
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4949 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Whatta about magnetic and shimmed cards? Maybe that will work!
Some examples.
http://www.magicbycardmaker.com/pageID_2439972.html
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Already invested a good amount of cash by having "Cards by Martin" build a trial magnet set for me a good while back Yep, I am that seriouse about making this effect part of my magic. I really want to perform Tammed Card. Anyway, It did not work out. The cards ended-up turning out way too thick and in a video taped pratice performance, it just didn't fly. Way too obvious but thank you for the suggestion thou.
Still trying to solve this problem...anyone els have any suggestions?
Thanks,
KW
JoePresto
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of JoePresto
I use Michael Ammar's Magic Wax. Using a metal finger nail file scrape up a very small bit of wax onto the tip of the file. Using your thumb and first finger remove the wax and roll it into a small ball (about the size of a pin head). Place a ball of wax in each corner of the double-facer. Using the flat side of the file, gently press each ball of wax completely flat onto the surface of the card. A nice, neat and thin circle of wax in each corner will be the end result.

Hope this helps you out.

Joe
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Joe, Thank you for the insight. I have however found the perfect solution by following the advice of a few fellow magi's here in the Café. The spray mount by 3M works perfectly and it IS THE ANSWER to the Tammed Card Effect.
KW
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
376 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
I just took 4 bits of double stick tape and applied them to each corner.

I then trimmed off the excess using scissors. Double stick tape works fine for me. Placing it in the middle doesn't work so well as the edges can tend to separate... and this card goes into their hand.

Not big peices of DS tape. Just four little peices about 1 centimeter square placed in each corner.

does the trick perfectly.

This helps also because during a certain part in the handling you don't want the cards to stick because of a certain false count you are doing. By misaligning the necessary cards they won't stick as their corners are not square....

Just my thoughts....
I too am a big fan of this routine... It's motivated. It's magical. It is a monster!
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
KenW,

I too am a huge fan of this routine and had the special set of cards made up by CardsbyMartin.

Did you try "blue glue"? It's a repositional glue stick (like pritt-stick) which goes on blue and then becomes clear as it dries.

Also, did you manage to get the leather wallets for the trick from anywhere or did you resort to plastic packet trick wallets. I really want to get the pucker wallets for the routine.

PM me if you wish!

Regards,

Martino.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Hey all,

Reviving this old thread to ask a question to those who perform this trick professionally.

I've come down to two methods to adhere the cards: wax and the mounting spray.

Double-sided tape is too visible, adheres too well so its hard to slide cards across it during the count, and 'talks' loudly when separated initially.

The wax is really good, except it is too visible: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazing-magic/magicians-wax/. The mounting spray is also good, except it is a hassle to apply and does 'talk' a little when separated.

If Tommy Wonder used wax, it must be workable. Does anyone know of a wax that is invisible when applied to a card? I'm thinking of the Mesika Wax: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-accessories/mesika-wax/. However, times are tough with Covid-19 and I am hoping to get an endorsement before spending the money on it.

Thank you!

Eldini
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1590 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Another product that works very well is Zig 2 Way Glue.

Just search for "Zig 2-way glue pen", and you'll find it readily available.

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2695 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Zig is good. Also would a roughing stick work?
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Zig is new to me, I'll give it a try.

Thank you!
Danny Alan 2
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Danny Alan 2
I just bought some of this stuff. Its got my head spinning at the possibilities.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Does Anybody Perform Tamed Card? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL