The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best place to purchase mirror... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I was wondering the best resource to purchase mirror for items such as Mirror Boxes and Duck Buckets?

-Bryan
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Typically any glass supplier will have mirror in different thicknesses. They can cut to size what you need, and even polish/bevel the edges if you require that. Check your local yellow pages.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
At one time you could get mirrors silvered on the front instead of on the back. This eliminated the tell-tale lines on the edges of the glass. Also, you might want to check out stainless steel that has been polished to a mirror finish.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've heard that front surfaced mirrors are expensive, and subject to damage if handled. What do you know about this Amos?

Depending on the usage, shiny aluminum, such as used by companies that make trophies and plaques works. I have used it with success for mirror glasses, and things that did not require a brightly lit perfect reflection. There is just a hint of cloudiness to this stuff.

I will be looking for double mirror (reflective surfaces on both sides). Is it best to just put two mirrors back to back, or is there a better option that anyone knows of?

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
When I worked as a scientific glassblower, we used to apply silver (chemical process) to several of the items that we made. This silver coating is extremely thin and fragile. First surface mirrors are way too fragile for magic uses. If you examine glass mirrors, you will notice that the silver layer on the back is protected by a lacquer or painted coating. This prevents oxidation and scratching. Forget first surface mirrors.

The item I prefer to use for reflective purposes was something I first used over 50 years ago as I learned to make B&W prints in a basement darkroom. The item is termed a ferrotype plate. It is a highly polished metal plate for drying photos to get a glossy surface. They come in either plated or stainless steel. They are sold in sheets about the sizes of cookie sheets and have peel off protective coverings on both sides. You will require access to a good metal shear for cutting these without ruining them. They are the perfect solution for duck buckets, mirror glasses, mirror boxes, head boxes, sword boxes, etc. Do not try to cut these with anything but a commercial type of shear or nibbler. I use a jump shear for straight cuts and a profile cutting nibbler for odd shapes.

Ferrotype plates are available from photo processing supply outlets.
Jim
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
If you want to go on the cheap, I had some success using mirrored mylar which costs about $5/yard depending on where you go. This is obtainable at any plastics warehouse.

WARNING: while easy to cut and shape, and glue where you like it, if you need a perfect, distortion free, mirror, this is not for you. Great for a mirror box which you have moving when it is open, but not for close scrutiny.

I had a mirror made of mylar which Alice put her hand through in a production of Alice in Wonderland. The audience all believed it was a real mirror both before and after the effect.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Jim,

Is this what is needed?

Premier Ferrotype Plates

Price is much cheaper than I thought.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Michael;
That's it. Some places have a wider size range; but that's the item.
Jim
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
In larger cities, there are actually mirror supply companies that have various standard size mirrors but will also cut to fit. I have an excellent one nearby me that has cut me a few to my request, and charged me amazingly little for this.

Steven
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Michael, they are subject to damage. If you want a double-sided mirror, look at the stainless steel option.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7432 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Mirror polish on stainless steel is a great option.

Jim, I remember using ferrotype plates in the darkroom for years. but then I also remember speed graphics. The plates are probably collector items and worth more that way. When they went to resin paper (which not very stable), they did away with a lot of the print drying equipment. I still have couple old dryers that I nurse along when I do darkroom work.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I second Richard's idea. I have a Head Dagger Chest using Polished Stainless. No worries about it getting broken in transit. A much better option to glass. And as its not glass you don't get a 'double' reflection. You often get this double reflection with some plastic mirrors.

Mark
Mark Daniel
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
I higly recommend acrylic mirrors. They do not break and don't have double reflections when the mirror is on the front of the perspex! Here are some European suppliers: http://www.alluvial.de http://www.gerriets.com http://www.seco-sign.de
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Richard;
I still own two Speed Graphics - a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and a 4 x 5. I lent them to my older son who takes many pictures of ancient ruins and rock art. The younger son got the lens from my enlarger to use on his. I still have my old ferrotype plates and small print dryer. The plates could not be beat for F type photo paper. I even used them with RC paper.

The ferrotype plates are still readily available and are not expensive. This is a much easier option than buying a full sheet (4' x 8') of polished stainless and trying to move/store it without bending, scratching, or denting it. The finish is like a mirror. The suppliers also sell a ferrotype plate polish - I suggest getting and using this.

Jim
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
On 2007-01-02 09:25, amosmc wrote:
"At one time you could get mirrors silvered on the front instead of on the back. This eliminated the tell-tale lines on the edges of the glass."

I thought painting the edges solved that problem.
POOF!
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Would these suggestions work well for a flawless look in a mirror box or duck bucket? I remmebr hearing about "theater mirrors"... is anyone familiar with these?

I like the idea of an acrylic mirror (in fear of a glass one breaking).

-Bryan
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
By Theatre Mirrors you may be referring to a heat shrink mirror film one can buy from some theatrical houses. You basically staple it to wood frames, and then use a heat gun to shrink it and make it tight.

There were several kinds, some meant to be true mirrors, other meant to be slightly reflective for situations where you wanted people to get "Oh it's a mirror" without having to deal with lights reflecting off of them and blinding audience members.

I haven't used this stuff in about 20 years, will snoop for a supplier.

If you opt for acrylic/plexi mirror, use regular car was, and wax the front surface, this helps protect it from minor scratches, and use a black spray paint on the back to protect the back surface, or apply pressure sensitive vinyl. Test to make sure it doesn't eat into the film.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
For what it's worth, Brasso will do wonders toward buffing minor scratches out of plexiglass.

Lexan mirror is another option... virtually unbreakable, very scratch resistant, but maybe more expensive.

I am still thinking polished chrome stainless steel, such as the Ferrotype plates, as being the best option. I saw a bath/shower mirror at Bed, Bath and Beyond while shopping with my wife last night. Overly priced due to the frame, mounting brackets, etc., but very nice mirror qualities. It appeared to be polished on both sides, which would help keep the mirror quite thin... a plus for some applications.

I have at least one project on the drawing board that will require a small piece of mirror, maybe 4" x 6", so when I have results to post, I will, although it may be a month or so.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
I have had great success with Tapp Plastics' plastic mirror material. They have a website that lists their products. If they have a retail location, I recommend going into talk with their staff. They cut to size and can provide additional pointers.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-01-03 23:31, kregg wrote:

I thought painting the edges solved that problem.

Actually, another problem is the double reflection you can get when the mirror is silvered on the rear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best place to purchase mirror... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL