The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best place to purchase mirror... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
When I suggest using ferrotype plates, this suggestion is based upon LOTS of experience. Using a plastic mirror on anything like a duck bucket would be less than ideal. I realize that choices need to be made based upon the builder's limited equipment for shaping the required mirror. A professional builder will acquire the correct equipment needed for the job at hand or hire it out. This is a major criteria for the amateur builder. (Actually there is a simple; but effective way for the amateur to cut the metal mirror. Those who really know their tools will be able to figure this out.) For me the major criteria is deciding what material will best do the job. For something like a duck bucket a metal mirror is a much better choice than any form of plastic. One concern must be durability. Plastic will scratch and "frost over" much quicker than the harder chromed metal surface (keep the metal polished with ferrotype plate polish). But the biggest concern all of the inexperienced people have overlooked is STATIC ELECTRICITY! A plastic mirror will have a surface charge after being dusted off prior to a performance. To this charged surface will adhere all of the loose feathers floating around the vicinity of the duck. When the interior of the bucket is supposedly shown empty, instead of emptiness the audience will see feathers seeming floating the the center of the empty bucket interior! I would suggest doing the job correctly or not at all. Crappy construction translates into exposure during a performance.
Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best place to purchase mirror... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL