The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bicycle Vintage Series 1800 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
I like it from what I can see so far.

Thanks Bill Palmer for the sticker idea.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Just received these today. They do look better than the older ones but they still haven't taken the bar code off of the box! Other than that I am very pleased.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Sounds good! I ordered 6 decks without the patience to wait for feedback from someone who has gotten theirs. I think 6 decks of these will probably last a lifetime. It's a special occasion item in a way.

I don't think this kind of box looks convincing anyway if it's the same as the one the last run of cards came in. Too glossy and modern, only with wear clearly prited on. Would look great in a video but not up close in my opinion.

Real old decks come in boxes with much older looking design and cardboard. Besides, in real life, really old decks all come with a rubber band around them. Smile

Wonder if one could use smoke to age the sides without ruining the feel of the deck. Just thought of that as I was typing this.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 06:41, The Amazing Noobini wrote:

Wonder if one could use smoke to age the sides without ruining the feel of the deck. Just thought of that as I was typing this.

I just scraped some soft pencil lead on some paper smeared my finger into it and rubbed it all over the white edges of the deck.Voila!

Rich
Xenafor
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Xenafor
Burn Frankincense on a burn safe surface, and while it's combusting it releases it's oil in charcoal black. don't get too close, but put the edges of the deck only slightly in the visible black line of smoke. Instant smoke-dye.

Michael
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
444 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Quote:
On 2007-02-22 02:29, e-man wrote:
Go here to see a real vintage Bicycle deck
http://web.mac.com/merlin_ink/iWeb/MERLIN/Library.html

e-man, Which photo are you referring to?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 12:00, Xenafor wrote:
Burn Frankincense on a burn safe surface, and while it's combusting it releases it's oil in charcoal black. don't get too close, but put the edges of the deck only slightly in the visible black line of smoke. Instant smoke-dye.

Michael

That must be the Biblical method. Smile

Rich
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

I won't be burning any incenses in this apartment I think. Tried it with some old candels which I was going to throw out because they give off way too much soot. But that had no effect. Maybe I'll try the pencil idea or some other charcoal or graphite from my old artists toolbox.

The new 1800s arrived today. They do look a lot less yellow than the first series. All in all a paler deck of cards with more uniform backs. I kinda liked the red ink tone of the first run tho, which is now gone as the extra shiny yellow ink coat is no longer boosting the reds. I won't complain about that however since I have gotten my wish fulfilled of more authentically aged looking cards.

Having finally now used the first 1800s for a week while I was waiting for these, I have to say that the first edition rank among the nastiest cards I've ever had to work with. I think these will be better. Hope so.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
magic777
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of magic777
They are OK. I like the tip for aging the edges with soft pencil lead which I will be applying to my set. Why is there a barcode on the box? The box should be authentic.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-05-05 18:02, magic777 wrote:
Why is there a barcode on the box? The box should be authentic.

A_Blake has some good barcode removal tips a few posts above yours.

Having said that, I would have to agree that a bar code is unneccessary. Why not have it on a removable piece of paper or on a removable sticker?

Having said that too, the box looks absolutely nothing like an old box of cards. It looks like a very new very glossy modern box designed to look aged to a slightly ridiculous degree.

It is beautiful tho. It's just not authentic looking. Of course.. the cards aren't the least bit authentic looking either. Without the numerous white cracks over the pips and with the same amount of "wear" at the edges of the faces and hardly any except for a slight color tint at the middle, it would look authentic.

Having said... well... it's a very cool deck really. And there are no better retro looking decks around. (The Texan 1889 deck is a lot prettier but also waaay too yellow)
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
The Texan 1889 deck is a lot prettier but also waaay too yellow
Where can I find the Texan 1889 deck???
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-05-05 19:54, tdowell wrote:

Where can I find the Texan 1889 deck???

You may already know these as many refer to them as Texan '45 (which is confusing since there are at least two other decks people like to call Texan 45).

The box says "Texan, first produced in 1889". But they are order number R45, which may stand for "Russel & Morgan Texan 45" or "Reprint 45". Or something.

Anyway, I got mine from the UK a while back, but I now like to buy my cards from this eBay seller: http://stores.ebay.com/Full-Boat-Dealer-Playing-Cards
I won't post the direct link to the cards since the long url will break the layout here and make everyone's posts hard to read. But he has some nice scans of them as well. Check out the nicest Ace of Spades I think have ever seen.

Here is another eBayer I think I can vouch for: http://stores.ebay.com/Merz67

The UK site, which I also like a lot: http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/Cards.html

Kardwell also have them, but they are very expensive on shipping charges.

These cards are like I said also quite yellowish, or cream colored. A bit too much. They also have the odd oily feel when they are new. But they are still very very nice cards. I love the old looking court cards and the tiny index numbers.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I love the incredible one-way-ness of these decks. Has anyone played with this? See you in the Inner Thoughts.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
I can get you sealed Texans at $3 per deck plus actual shipping if you message me.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 13:44, Mystician wrote:
These seem made for the bizarrist.

w00t !

My first bizarre routine with the cards.
Cold Case Closer...

mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
A small tips.....I open the card case and breakdown the box, so I can colour the inside of the box....I used Yellow Tea....rub it in with a wet sponge and let it dry overnight.....then after its dry, BEFORE I glue the box back together...I put it on a floor then put stacks of Hardcover Books on top of it, to make it lay flat again.....wait for an hour or two, then I glue the box back together.....its look waay much better now, since its ilogcal for the outside of the box to look that old but the inside look so white and pristine!.......
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-07-07 19:30, mesmer wrote:
A small tips.....I open the card case and breakdown the box, so I can colour the inside of the box....I used Yellow Tea....rub it in with a wet sponge and let it dry overnight.....then after its dry, BEFORE I glue the box back together...I put it on a floor then put stacks of Hardcover Books on top of it, to make it lay flat again.....wait for an hour or two, then I glue the box back together.....its look waay much better now, since its ilogcal for the outside of the box to look that old but the inside look so white and pristine!.......

Hi Mesmer:I also used slightly diluted tea extract,however why go to all the trouble of breaking down and re-glueing the box?

I just used a medium artists paint brush to paint the inside and it looks naturally old.

I also rectified the issues with the exterior of the box as I stated in an earlier post.If anyone would like to see the result ..just PM me with your e-mail. See previous post here.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

Best.
Rich
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Hmmm......I never tought of using a paint brush.....since Im a perfectionist so....

hey thanx for the link tho!

I used this with Heirloom in a premontition effects + Manhattanville + My own version of Pegasus Page using Manhattanville + Murphy Chest + The Relic.....its all inside the Murphy Chest....that I calim as a Heriloom from my Great Uncle Charlie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bicycle Vintage Series 1800 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL