We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bicycle Vintage Series 1800 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Why they went to the trouble of putting out a "vintage" deck of cards in a "vintage" case with a UPC code on it is beyond me. Think about this, guys. If you want to snap people back into the 20th/21st centuries really quickly, bring out a box with a UPC code on it. You can't have an 1800's card case with a 1971 bar code on it. No bizarrist in his right mind (or his left mind or his wrong mind) would use a card case like this and represent it as a really old deck of cards.

They could have solved this problem by putting a sticker on the cellophane wrapper.

The Texan 45 cards look more authentic than these -- even though they have the bloody bar code.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Yes Bill..I agree about the silly bar code.However,I guarantee that within an hour of receiving my deck that barcode will will no longer be visible. Smile

Rich
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I also think they would do better if they used something other than standard Bicycle backs. I think they came into being around 1894 or so when USPC came into existence.

The old Safety or Racer backs would have been a better choice for the period and even those didn't come around until the end of the 19th century.

That's not stopping me from looking forward to getting my hands on these. I'm sure I'll find a use for them.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-01-03 15:04, niva wrote:
Lol

or else a spell that maintains there smoothness although their age :S

Rick any old deck from you? Actually this is a good idea to elaborate on. Rick?

We've been working on an effect with aged cards (con man mentalism/western theme). I won't go into detail, or hijack this thread, but they will pricey.

I do think that there are countless routines that you guys will develope with the "odd" aged card in a deck revelation.

I love the "time glitch" storyline of the spec selecting the only card that has traveled from the past, into a new deck.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The demo video is so tricked up that you don't get a real good look at the cards.

Fortunately, there are photos.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6898 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I was thinking out loud with the whole re-coating thing. But, hey, I've heard crazier.

That's the main problem with these cards. They look cool, but what the heck are they? How do you use them? If they aren't "re-coated" or whatever, then how do you explain them?
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Just handle them slower than you would with a regular deck of cards. Why does the audience HAVE to know they feel exactly like new cards?
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Well I think, at the very least, you will have a deck of cards that the spectator will remember. Although you could come up with something. I think what I will use is these are vintage cards that were restored and coated so they wouldn't fall apart...then I'll say "I probably shouldn't be using them but I just can't resist" or something like that...

I can't wait...should be here tomorrow.

Marc
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
Niva, count yourself in bro! The next big convention, I got you! Or if your at Hank's on Saturday... Smile
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I have several presentations involving the invisable deck and one of these releates to an old pack of cards that has been in my family for years.

The fact that these look old from stage but will act like a new pack will be great for the routine I do.

I will probably make most of mine into invisable decks.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
justini
View Profile
New user
Salisbury, MD
54 Posts

Profile of justini
I bought a dozen and was also thinking of making a few into Invisible Decks. Although I haven't thought of patter yet, it seems like some type of story about an old deck with magical qualities passed down through the years would fit. I agree that the bar code might be a problem, so maybe there is a way to cover, scratch or somehow make it less noticeable. All in all, though, I think these are just really cool to look at. I think any card trick might look more interesting to the audience when being performed with this deck. Can't wait to get mine!
justini
View Profile
New user
Salisbury, MD
54 Posts

Profile of justini
One more thing - anyone know if they are coming out with a Vintage gaff deck, like the Red, Tiger and Ghosts? I know that the deck itself is almost a gaff, but it might be interesting to get some of the gaff cards in this vintage design.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
With the darker color of these cards, the aging of the card would not be nearly so noticeable.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6898 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Invisible deck... now that's a good idea!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2111 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
For those worried about the barcode and logo, why not cover it with some opaque tape? Could work even better if you bang the box around a bit first. It's so old, it has to be taped together...

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 18:12, Cameron Francis wrote:
Invisible deck... now that's a good idea!

The very second I saw these decks that's the first thought that came to mind.
They're going to fit into my routine very nicely. I'd like to have these in mini-bikes too.

peace, charlie
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Well I got mine today and I am not disappointed! These cards are top quality just like all of http://www.ellusionists.com stuff. These cards look so amazing! I love all the face cards with all the cracking they look wicked! I will definatley be using this deck a lot and coming up with some good patter for them. Right now I think I'll say that they were real old and found in some cellar somewhere, maybe an old magician or something. Then I'll say I had them restored so I could still use them. Which would explain the barcode on the box...because the box they made, while the cards, they just sealed. Oh well, if the tricks are good, no one will think about the story!

If you are thinking of getting these cards, just go get them...they are definatly worth the money!

Marc
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Just used these cards for a couple tricks and used the patter in my above post. The reaction was awesome. These cards add so much to a trick! How many other cards can do that?? I know the Ghost deck got some great responses too but these cards have their own patter. One person did say "sure those are old" but after the trick he was blown away and didn't mention the cards again, only to say they look cool.

Again, go get these!

Marc
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I just got my 1800 cards. From a moderate distance they look very nice! Old and brown just like I expected them to be, but they handle like new.

Here are some early observations:

The card box looks old and torn, but in reality it's a fresh new box. Even the holes and cracks are painted on. Again, good from a distance but would never pass having someone believe it's actually an old box. Plus, the "E" logo and bar code are a dead giveaway that these aren't what they seem.

The cards have a "pseudo-random" pattern on the back. Let me explain:
All the backs start out with the same brown texture paint. An added bonus is that this texture isn't symmetrical so the deck can be used as a "one way" deck by reading the edges. Example: if you reverse the four aces in the deck, simply fanning the face down deck identifies the location of these four cards.

There are seven distinct back patterns imprinted on the brown back. These don't seem to be suit based, and if there's a numerical pattern to them I can't find it. (This would have been a GREAT idea if they had thought of it. You could have had a stacked deck that could be read from the back) The seven patterns vary in the intensity of the red pattern, but things like black smears or breaks/tears in the pattern are uniform. Some pattern groups have nearly twenty cards while one group consists of just one card that matches only the "E" advertising cards. One edge of Ten of Spades is visibly darker front and back than any other cards and it's the same on all three decks. That means the Ten of Spades visibly stands out from all the other cards in the deck whether it's face up or face down. It's painfully obvious with even a casual glance so I'd avoid using this as any kind of force card.

I can see people taking advantage of these pattern differences to set up potential marked hands or some other trick that requires locating a card (or group of cards) easily.

All in all, it's a great start. If I want to make them truly authentic, I'd keep the box in my back pocket for a few days and maybe use sandpaper to wear down the finish to coincide with the printed wear marks. Of course I'll also have to scratch off the bar code and even the Zip code off the flap as Zip codes weren't invented yet.

The cards can be used as is and would look great in front of an "Old West" reenactment group (as long as I don't hand the deck out for inspection, but I never need to so that shouldn't be a problem) The only glaring inconsistency is that the Bicycle pattern wasn't sold until around 1897 or so. They could have chosen a better back pattern than Bicycles if they wanted them to look truly "authentic."

These cards aren't for everybody, but they will fill a need for antique "looking" cards if your routine warrants it. My particular application is for a variation of the "Ten Card Poker Deal" where I will have only the cards I need in an old card box that I "found" somewhere along a dusty trail or in an old saddle bag from days gone by.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
How do they feel as far as doing color changes and d lif*s and such ? I would think they would have a little getting used to time since they are painted or whatever ? Thanks in advance !!
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bicycle Vintage Series 1800 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL