The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups & Balls Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I second that, Jim!

Pete's idea sounds like a giant billiard ball holder. (Pete, are you back in town? I saw and met Whit Haydn at the castle Saturday night. Don't want to say too much till I have time to do the great experience justice. In short, he killed us!)

Also really like Dan's idea of holding the edge of the jacket with the right hand, while it is also holding the cup. I have never heard of that "move" before. I think that's yours, Dan. We should name it the "Danny Hustle." That way, you don't transfer the cup from right to left. The cup stays in the right hand the whole time.

Also really like Harry's idea of the belt pouch, which the jacket would cover. Actually, the belt pouch could work well with Dan's move.
Still thinking,
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
In an attempt to keep this wonderful topic going:

Where can I learn about these pouches everyone seems to use?
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
I believe Eric Evans makes them, you could try PMing him, there is a Gazzo style on The School for Scoundrels website made by Joe Porper if I am remembering correctly and an outfit in Switzerland, Zauberladen I think, that's selling a "Cellini" version.
:)
Best,
Jim
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
The School for Scoundrels website won't let me in for some reason. I've been trying to get in for a few weeks, but it keeps timing out. I'll keep trying, though.
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Huh, I've never had that problem, I just tried it and all was well. Keep tryin cause they've got really cool stuff!
Best,
Jim
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just spent a day with a dude working with a pouch he got from Joe Porper... B u tee full.

He does his complete act out of it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I've been stuck on occasion and found myself doing a pocket load in the wrong situation - the thing that worked for me was to use the spectators to cover the loads - think about it...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
PSC,
That is a great idea! Use a spectator to cover your final loading. The spectator is up close and personal to watch and make sure everything is on the up and up. And, at the same time, they are blocking your left side. I like that idea a lot. It, of course, is ripe with the potential for comedy interaction with this person. "You didn't see that? Maybe you should wear these." Hand them a silly pair of glasses, etc.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
You've got it, Jim! I've been using that particular technique in tough situations for about 30 years now and it has never failed me - by the way, the occasionally savvy spectator actually cooperates and blocks for you - they like being "in on it", although I've had to cue them a couple of times...

Best, PSC

And, Oh yeah, Uh, I forgot to mention....

Saw Charlie Miller load out of his back pocket MANY times - though I have to say that Charlie never worked the street - Vernon also used a back pocket load - in fact you can see it in Stars of Magic, I think. Remember, clothes were cut quite a bit differently years ago, and I swear Charlie had the suits he bought in 1941! Still...

I had the back pocket altered on a suit for a back pocket load (depth shortened and an accordion type pleat on the sides) to hold three small fruits (I was using the original Magic Inc., Bertram cups), lemon, lime and kiwi - worked fine...

This was a two pocket loading sequence of Charlie's that overcame the exposition phase of the Vernon routine, and still allowed you to load all three cups in the process of going to your pockets - very sneaky...

Best, PSC
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I talked to a guy that was NAILED by a guy doing a load he couldn't figure.

The guy didn't load in conventional way. He THREW the load in as the hand came forward and didn't stop at the cup, continuing on to pick something up on the table. Smile
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Pete! Shame on you ! That's Don Alans' Chop Cup load technique - perhaps slightly modified, but I sat with Don at his house, at 3am, with Ron Bauer, who talked Don into teaching it to me, and he did it almost all his life - picked up the cup to reveal, brought it back to the edge of the table and banged it down, threw the ball into the cup as his loading hand went to the table to pick up the small ball - did the same thing for the second load... I'm not surprised though - there's hardly a close-up guy working who doesn't owe something to Don Alan, even if they don't know it...

Best, PSC
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Wrong Paul... totally different... I know Don's handling (He taught to me). Smile
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
OK, now I AM curious! What's the difference? Can you describe the load sequence, break down the steps? 'Cause, on the surface, it really does SOUND LIKE a take off on the DA loads... Come on Biro, GIVE!

Best, PSC
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is too good to tip... HONEST. Smile

Check your email tomorrow after they find out who's in the big pile of rubble in Irak. Smile
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
The guy didn't load in conventional way. He THREW the load in as the hand came forward and didn't stop at the cup, continuing on to pick something up on the table

that sounds alot like Tommy Wonders method of loading the Pom Pom from the bag.
Ronnie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Wonder's load is much like the Fred Kaps "dropping" ball into cup as he reached over it... which came, in Fred's case, from Crandall's load (in a Tarbell course).

I believe this is quite different. Smile
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I very well may have learned The Wonder move wrong... But when I do it it isn't dropped into the cup, it is released into the cup (kind of like a line drive) as I reach forward to catch a ball. The cup's mouth is at a ninety degree angle to the table. Very deceptive.

Ronnie
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
502 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations All,

This seems to be the most logical place to ask this question.

I have Pete's Gali-Gali cups ... great cups that are mucho fun to play with. And I have a set of Bosco cups from Harries which suit my renfest style to a T.

However, there is a great deal on Gazzo and Animal cups going on until July 4. Does anyone have first hand, working knowledge of the weight and feel of these cups?

Like I said, I like Pete's cups, and Pete, feel free to chime in, but I'm interested in something a little heavier ... are the Gazzo/Animal cups appreciably heavier and able to stand up to more abuse, or do I get them and support Gazzo/Animal enterprises?

Thanks for your input.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1424 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I have a set on order (the medium size cups).

I'll do a full review of the cups when I receive them.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups & Balls Advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL