The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind vs. Banacheck vs. ??? DVD series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bradymc
View Profile
Regular user
Allen, TX
111 Posts

Profile of bradymc
I've been in magic now for about 10 years and have recently started to become more interested in Mentalism. I was researching some of Luke Jermay's material and found Skullduggery which seem to have some good things. After chatting with someone about Jermay's Room 101, he mentioned Kenton Knepper. I perused the internet and found Banacheck's PSI series, Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles and Osterlind's Mind Mysteries.

I know a few mentalism routines and do them mainly in close-up or impromptu settings along with magic. On occassion, I will perform for larger audiences and appreciate having that one routine that plays well for a larger crowd.

Let me say up front that I'm a fan of DVD's over books. I've never liked to read... anything. So I was hoping to get everyone's vote on the best DVD series (I can afford about 4 videos) to help me in learning more about mentalism with good routines that I can use or most likely branch off from. I'm open to "road maps" as well. "Get this one from this guy, that one from that guy, etc."
Brady McCain
Website Designer / Magician
www.GoMylo.com
www.GoMyloDomains.com
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
126 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
Definitely the best series is Osterlinds Mind Mysteries, then EZ to Master...then if you get serious, read 13 steps.

That's my 2 cents worth.

-Brian
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Just get it all. Smile
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I have not seen all of ones you are considering, but I would recommend Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries, which is one of the best DVD's on the market. I prefer Mind Mysteries to Osterlind's other DVD's because it contains routines that have been part of Richard's professional shows for 20-plus years. When you see these performed, you immediately will see that they are well honed pieces that have been successful for thousands of audiences. His other DVD series from L&L are excellent too, but they are in general not the routines that he uses regularly in his own professional engagements. In the Mind Mysteries series, I would start with Volume 1, which contains the following:

Radar deck--four audience members each think of a playing card, and the mentalist names all four after minimum questioning of the spectators.

Time routine--spectator thinks of a time of day, and mentalist guesses the time and shows that a watch held by a spectator displays the same time.

Magazine Test--spectator fairly selects a page of a current Newsweek magazine and then holds the magazine behind his or her back and circles a word on the page. The circled word matches a previously made prediction on a slate.

Billet reading--spectators write blurbs on small billets, which are collected and kept by audience. Mentalist reveals thoughts on these billets.

etc.

As with all L&L DVD's, the technical quality is superb.

I hope this helps.

Jim Mullen
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Were dvds around ten years ago?
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Bradymc:

Welcome to the Café and welcome to mentalism.

I too am not the biggest fan of books. I agree that Osterlind is the way
to go.

And I am pleased that no one (except for Brian and his excellent quip) has
responded with the predictable "Start with Annemman and Corinda...read them cover to cover. Read them again..."

Another excellent DVD for the skilled beginner is Bob Cassidy's "Mental Miracles."

Bennett
NY NY
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Osterlind’s "Easy to Master Mental Miracles" is definitely the way to go.

Elliott
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I would offer that much that Osterlind offers started with Annemman and Tarbell.

For that reason I would suggest Richards work though I have not seen any of his DVD's.

-Jim

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
bradymc
View Profile
Regular user
Allen, TX
111 Posts

Profile of bradymc
I have a mind to dive deep and buy the whole MM 7 DVD series from Osterlind, but would I be biting off more than I can chew? I have the belief that out of 10 routines on a video, about half of them are really good and I'll only use about half of that half in my repertoire. Ok, Ok... I know that math comes out to 2.5, but you get my point. Are all of the routines on Mind Mysteries really that good (great)?

As far as DVD's being around 10 years ago..... ehhh....that's roughly the time of birth for the DVD. My earlier purchases were of the VHS variety.
Brady McCain
Website Designer / Magician
www.GoMylo.com
www.GoMyloDomains.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 22:37, bradymc wrote:
I have a mind to dive deep and buy the whole MM 7 DVD series from Osterlind, but would I be biting off more than I can chew? I have the belief that out of 10 routines on a video, about half of them are really good and I'll only use about half of that half in my repertoire. Ok, Ok... I know that math comes out to 2.5, but you get my point. Are all of the routines on Mind Mysteries really that good (great)?

As far as DVD's being around 10 years ago..... ehhh....that's roughly the time of birth for the DVD. My earlier purchases were of the VHS variety.

I think you need to shed the "magicians" mind set here for a second.

I've got both sets of DVDs that Richard has produced, and with the single exception of the DVD devoted to the card effects (I don't do the sort of mentalism that these routines would fit into.) each,and I mean that; each DVD contains material that is usable and worth keeping in mind.

I can't say that about the Maven DVDs that I have.

As to Banachek I can't comment, I only have a VHS of his metal bending,so others will have to comment.

Concerning the "Start off with Annemann and Corinda" type responces, if you invest in Osterlinds set "Easy to Master Mental Miracles" (A mis-leading title if only for the reason that the phrase 'Easy' could one to assume that you can get the DVD on Monday morning, and do a show on Monday night.), is actually an excellent introduction to the works of Ted Annemann, and Tony Corinda.

Cassidy is also a good intro too.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
muffin
View Profile
Loyal user
London
294 Posts

Profile of muffin
I started with Richard Osterlinds DVD's and I found these as a perfect introduction to mentalism. Of course you get effects that you can perform, but you can also learn the mentalism mind set by watching a talented and experienced performer. For a short time after I found myself buying various mentalism style props which proved detrimental to my performance style. Osterlinds DVD will give you plenty of material to do performances in almost any situation, from close up and impromptu all the way up to a stage performance.

In addition and I know some won't agree Max Maven's material is also very good. I can only speak for the one DVD I have, Max Maven Videomind: Phase 2 - Close up mentalism. The material on this introduces some really useful principles and has some easy to do yet high impact effects.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I think that you should get everything you can - watch the way they perform, how the sets are structured, the presentation and all the subtle nuances - this is as important than the effects themselves in mentalism. Take what effects would fit what you are trying to portray, work with it and take your own spin on it. That is the best way to go. I also think watch as many non-tutorial things you can - Derren's Tricks of the Mind are an excellent place to see how creative you can be with mentalism.

In terms of what to get, I agree that OSterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles is the place to start - classics revisited that people think are 'outdated'. From there, I think The Mind Mysteries series,then Banachek and Maven, then Cassidy.

However, I think to shun books completely is a mistake. I know you said you do not like to read, but you are missing out on the foundation of mentalism principles, which are vital for learning - most mentalism stems from the classics, and by studying those, you are broadening your knowledge base for the future.

The other problem with DVDs is that you, probably unconciously, copy their style. With books this does not happen, and you can twist the presentation to suit you.

Hope this helps,

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 22:20, Bennettjc wrote:

And I am pleased that no one (except for Brian and his excellent quip) has
responded with the predictable "Start with Annemman and Corinda...read them cover to cover. Read them again..."

Yeah, what could all those people know, right? A bunch of suckers reading Annemann and Corinda, jeez...

Now, I have never been one to subscribe to the idea that people who learn from books are somehow superior (in fact, I find people who believe that to be deluded) but, if for no other reason than to mess with Bennettjc a little...

Start with Annemman and Corinda...read them cover to cover. Read them again...

Okay, that was strangely satisfying, here comes the real gold of the post. Based on your background and experience level in the field, I STRONGLY recommend that you start with 22 Blows to the Head by Jay Sanky and not Osterlind, Banachek, or Maven. You will find things you can immediately add to your repertoire and you can see what you like in the field. Plus it is only one, relatively inexpensive, DVD (only 22.50 at penguinmagic.com but they are out of stock; $30 at mjmmagic.com and they have it in stock).

-Carlos
Cognite tute
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
There are as many ways to present a mindreading act as there is a magic act, depending upon your personality. (Dunninger certainly had a different approach than Maven does.) I think that you should first find a source who you find appealing, and start there.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Yes and no, jakeg. An effect or method is not a presentation nor should a source determine how your present your act. In other words, it really shouldn't matter *who* your source is, in terms of your presentation, unless you plan to blindly emulate them, something that should never be recommended.

There is a great example in Strong Magic. The idea is that if you put a red ball in your hand and then it isn't there anymore, you don't have an effect. What happened? Did it disappear, teleport, was the audience hypnotized, etc.?

Now, bradymc has a background in magic, so I think it is safe to assume that he can put his own presentational touches on. As such, I think a broad platform of basic methodology is much more important than just an appealing act.

Having said all that, I get what you are saying but I just don't think, in the current situation, that it is the best advice. Just my opinion, though, please feel free to ignore me.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Bradymc,

I think mindguy is right. For a good solid DVD intro to mentalism, I think Easy-to-Master Mental Miracles would be your best bet... especially if you have enough to buy only 4 DVD's. These DVD's have some of the best fundamental material from both Annemann and Corinda.
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
".....if for no other reason than to mess with Bennettjc a little... ":heckno"
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Lol
Cognite tute
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
"...if for no other reason than to mess with Bennettjc a little... "
:heckno:

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 4:27pm
------------------------------------------
There...it worked...
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
I would ask exactly the same question (with about enough money to spend on 4 dvds) but I'm not interested in stage effects, or one's involving expensive (+$60) props. Primarily looking for impromptu, close up mentalism. Could Anyone list and rank the order in which I should purchase the above? Kind regards,
Will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind vs. Banacheck vs. ??? DVD series (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL