The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dying Polypropylene (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
Anyone had luck dying polypropylene material?
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
I know that machine made oriental rug manufacturers use poly in almost all their rugs, which are all dyed. Might try a little research on how they are manufactured. You might find out about the dying process. I will do a little searching myself.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
I did a test last night on some poly paint booties with dismal results.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I'm not an expert in this, but I can relate it to another field--I make my living in the theatre. Years ago I used to build a few prosthetics and wigs. I discovered I couldn't dye the synthetics very easily because, unlike human or animal hair or fur, it has no real texture...no pores, no interior, nothing to hold onto the dye.
It would slide right off.
I did not pursue this any further at the time. There were alternatives.
But it appears to me that synthetics are created with the color as an integral part of the chemistry. Take apart a plastic toy...it's the same color inside as outside.
Attempting to add color might be a useless pursuit.
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
I discovered the same thing today. I talked with someone who told me that polypropylene is dyed in its liquid form before being extruded. I have officially thrown in the towel in pursuit of another material.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dying Polypropylene (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL