We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Unpaid impromptu » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
See my last post on page one of this topic.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I do not think that there are that many NO pay, No play Pro's out there. Most of us will perform a trick or two IF ASKED.
But ask yourself honestly if you do not go around telling everyone that your a magician
(as opposed to saying if asked what you do)
or as I used to do when I was a teenager sit performing coin rolls or fancy cuts until someone asks if your a magician then perform.
You might get asked to perform a couple of times a year.

As a full time pro I enjoy performing, studying and practicing magic, but because I perform so much for cash I have no need to Actively ecourage casual performances.

I do not remember who said it but it is true
"I love performing magic for the love of it and the more they pay me, the more I love it!"

phillip
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Quote:
GreatScott said:
I guess my point is, there's a big difference between being ASKED to be the center of attention by the host at his party, and going there PLANNING to be the center of attention, when the party is in someone else's honor, and you are not on the agenda. I fear many magicians fall into the later category rather than the former, and I think it's just bad form!

I understand your point here Scott and I think it's a valid one. However I feel this harkens us to the impromptu argument. If you rolled in the magic case with your scantily clad assistant in tow (I gotta get me one a them) that would look like a prepared performance and would be bad form indeed. But if you were stocked with those not so impromptu impromptu items, you are simply responding to the hosts request.

Quote:
On 2002-02-07 17:36, p.b.jones wrote:
I do not think that there are that many
NO pay No play Pro's out there. Most of us will perform a trick or two IF ASKED.

Well that certainly is a relief to hear this said again. If it's just a few malcontents out there I can live with that. Smile
Yakworld.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Max Malini never performed ANYTHING unless it was to secure a gig, for money, or as a little favour before he asked for a BIG one!

Good idea, I think.

Ben
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
What are you saying Ben? Magic should be all about me?

Very BAD idea, I think.

And I had just found my happy place. Smile
Yakworld.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Being a magician 24/7 also means knowing when to respect your art too much to perform under circumstances unflattering to the art. It is through such acts that the general public learns to respect magic and magicians.

We are not trained monkeys waiting to dance for a tip and a tune...and sometimes not even a tip.

Extend the graciousness of asking at the right time or in the right way and the world opens up to you. But it is that way in all of life.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Jeese Tom, you been on vacation or something? I don't think I'm following your opening comments. Would you mind clarifying a bit?
Yakworld.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
247 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Jeff McBride is always ready to do magic for anyone, anytime, anywhere. He will surprise a hotel desk clerk, a cab driver, or a waiter with a little bit of magic. I think that works for him and his character.

I have a certain number of close friends with whom I spend a lot of time. They are used to the idea that if I've worked up something new I may wish to give it a trial run with them. This is more of a test drive than a "social situation."

Just in a regular situation, I'll do something if I feel the environment and circumstances make it appropriate. Sometimes I may be asked, sometimes it may just occur to me that it's a good opportunity for a miracle. It would need to be a relevant miracle, though -- I'm not pulling out a 'hot rod' out of the blue.

Anyway, it's a matter of discernment. If you are a professional, will you maintain a professional reputation by performing this effect? Or will you come off looking like Uncle Buck who never goes anywhere without his svengali deck, five rubber bands and a finger chopper?

If I think I can enhance my reputation as a professional with a quick but strong effect at someone's request -- I'll consider it.

Was it Leipzig who said never perform on the first request? Always wait to be begged...

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Well put Joe...and nice avatar.

Here is what the backspace button has stopped me from posting for a day now. Smile (A whole nuther story)

Gee, you're a painter? Here, do a painting of me right now. Oh, c'mon...just a quick little one. Ok then, how 'bout just a sketch.

Wow, you're a chef? Lets go in the kitchen and have you whip me up something. Oh, nuthin' fancy just a quick sumthin'.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Well I just got off the phone with my cousin. He's a chef. I asked him,"Has anyone ever been so ecstatic when they found out you were a chef that they asked you whip them up something right then and there?"

"Yeah, you."

"But you invited me over for dinner."

"You invited yourself over."

"Alright, anyone other than me?"

"No."

And I have been in the military for 11 years and no one has ever asked me to liberate their living room or bomb their garage.

My dad was a biologist and no one ever asked him to dissect their dog. (Well one guy did but he was really drunk.)

Are these comparisons really the same as handing a magician a deck of cards and asking him to take the spotlight for five minutes?
Yakworld.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
There's a world of difference, in a social setting, between asking a magician to "do a trick" and asking a plumber to fix your sink.

Lance Burton once said something to the effect that "don't tell them (the paying customers) this but I like doing magic so much I'd do it for nothing."

There's nothing wrong with performing without pay, as it were, just so long as you are SURE they really want you to perform, and are not just asking you out of politeness.

But, then, several people have pointed that out already! Smile

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
And I have been in the military for 11 years and no one has ever asked me to liberate their living room or bomb their garage.

My dad was a biologist and no one ever asked him to dissect their dog.

Ah ha! So magicians are less respected than Sergeants and Biologists.

We can be brow beaten into doing our profession for free at a moments notice.

No thank you. As the magician I reserve the right to decide when and where I perform. I nearly always perform when respectfully presented with a respectful opportunity. And yes sometimes people don't even know they are making the offer. That is when the magic is strongest.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Hello all. I've been watching this debate and my head is whirling. I never would have considered this such a hot debate. I am not a pro, but a student of magic.

I understand what Great Scott and others are saying about being asked and not (sorry for the pun) forcing yourself on others. I am assuming that any performance would only be one that was practiced, prepared and ready for public display.

With all of that being the case, wouldn't it be rude to not do a little something. I would think it would be insulting not to. (Now I do not intend to get anyone fired up with that comment, I am just trying to understand this debate.)

My understanding of the question is this: You are at a social gathering & it has somehow been made known by some means that you are a magician or study magic or whatever. You are asked by another guest to preform an effect. Wouldn't it make you seem like a snob to not oblige the request. Again assuming the situation is appropriate.

As for the arguement of plumbers and biologists. I think magic does inspire awe in the public, and people like to be awed. I was a plumber years ago, and while I was never asked to fix a leak right on the spot, I was asked questions a lot. I would always answer and give advice, because it let me help others to do so.

I guess it boils down to: What is your philosophy on magic. My philosophy is to use magic to provide a little momentary escape for people from the world. Make 'em feel like a kid again. I don't do magic to make people like ME. I do it to make them like them.

Sorry I rambled, I just had to clear my head. I hope something in the above makes sense to someone other than me. Thank you for your time.
Smile Smile Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
Wouldn't it make you seem like a snob to not oblige the request. Again assuming the situation is appropriate.

Who assumes the situation is appropriate? I reserve the right to make that asumption in the case of my magic.

It is no more "snobbish" than the dancer declining the request to dance for the guests, the chef declining the request to cook for the guests, or the musician declining the offer to musish for the guests.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Tom, I often enjoy your analogies to other arts and professions, but this all seems a little out of line. Perhaps asking a magician to do a card trick is more like asking a doctor what the best pain medicine for his headache is.

I'm assuming they're not asking you to set up and do a full-scale performance, but a card trick or a little vanishing scarf for the kids? C'mon, if you really want to destroy the face of magic, that'll do it.

“Magicians are fun people who like to show people tricks.”

I think that's how we're generally seen. Usually requests I've received have been nice and when appropriate I do them. Perhaps you've had really bad experiences I haven't had and if that's true I'm sorry, but it means we're all talking about different situations. Whatever the case, I find it interesting that this general attitude seems to come primarily from pros.
I'm a semi-pro myself, but I'd hate to forget that magic isn't just a profession, it’s a way of life.

Another analogy for you, if a priest was asked for a little advice in a spiritual matter, would he decline and say "come to church Sunday and pay your Tithe first?"

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Quote:
On 2002-02-10 01:20, Tom Cutts wrote:
Ah ha! So magicians are less respected than Sergeants and Biologists.

We can be brow beaten into doing our profession for free at a moments notice.

Dude.

(I said I was done here so that's all I'm saying.)
Yakworld.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
(I said I was done here so that's all I'm saying.)

I must have missed something. Where did you say you were done here? My oversight.

D'oh Smile

Tom
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Oh sorry. My bad.

I typed this HUGE rant about how I shouldn't discuss this any longer because my opinions on the subject are a little too strong Smile and it kinda focused only one aspect of the discussion blah blah blah and everyone here had some really great perspectives and I didn't want to direct the conversation because of my annoyance (was that a run on sentence?). And since everyone was playing so nice I posted it as a new thread under Food for thought.

But since you got me talking again LET ME SAY THIS...just kiddin'. Smile
Yakworld.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Semianimus,

You are agreeing with me 'perform when appropriate' but denying me the right to choose when is appropriate for my performance. A performance which may be nothing like yours.

Is that correct?
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hey, I just got off the phone with my brother. He's a colorectal surgeon and...

Would you believe he's in the adult film industry? (Mom is so proud.)
Yakworld.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Unpaid impromptu » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL