The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Unpaid impromptu » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I don't quite get that one, but I hope it's not the same brother that is the chef. Smile

I almost passed out trying to get through that run-on sentence. Smile

Tworld
Home of the world famous gloating foat and the Smile that thinks I'm it's wife.

Had to be careful with that donut line and choice of donut. Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
[QUOTE]Semianimus,

You are agreeing with me 'perform when appropriate' but denying me the right to choose when is appropriate for my performance. A performance which may be nothing like yours.

Is that correct? [/QUOTE}

No, and I wouldn't "deny" you anything. This is why I said that your experiences may be a different case than the ones I generally think of when asked to perform "a little trick or two". As a full-time professional, I could see where you might be talking about different things. All I'm saying is that not doing a trick for someone just because you weren't being paid was off the mark. And the statements I made in your direction had more to do with your analogies (at least I intended them that way). We could argue over them forever, but I just felt that a magician showing a trick to someone (not a full performance), couldn't, not be compared to a chef cooking you a meal. A chef cooking you a meal would be more like you giving a full performance, etc, etc.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Ah, but the asker told the chef "nothin fancy just a quick little something" Sound familliar? Oh please, just a tiny little snack.

There in might lie the rub. Now we are gettin' somewhere.

The world sees chefs, dancers, plumbers, etc as doing complete things that would be out of place just off the cuff.

They see magicians as people who do these quick, disjointed, amusing, little tricks.

That cliché is exactly the image I work to avoid in my performances. Which is exactly why I want to dictate the parameters of my performance.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
This survey that Yak started seemed to turn into a rather heated debate as it were. Smile

I myself do not have a firm stance on the subject one way or the other. If someone ask's me to perform, and I feel like it, I do. Otherwise, I don't. Simple as that.

I had posted a different post earlier that might have been taken in the wrong light, so I moderated myself and removed it. Smile
Ain't magic great. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Unpaid impromptu » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL