The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Subtlety's for showing one rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

I perform Dan tong's prof. nightmare routine with a different ending. At the end of this routine you have three equel pieces of rope (from the audience' view). Dan ties two knots and vanishes one of them and slides of the other and is left with one long piece of rope.

I let two of the ropes fuse together in my hand and tie a pop-knot between the other two and let it fall of. Now I'm left with what seems one long piece of rope(I hide the two ends in my hand). I'm looking for sublety's to show this as one piece of rope.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Simon
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
I'd name DVD titles but I'm worried about exposing the nature of the routines. I'll pm you...
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Check out my Mongolian Pop-Knot Routine. It has a nice display for the restored ropes.

http://www.whithaydn.com/video_clips.htm
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
I like the Mongolian Pop-knot Routine, is it available for purchase?
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
You betcha, it is.

Whit has it either with a video or as a booklet. (I bought the booklet. Very clearly explained.)

You can find Whit's stuff through one of the links in his signature.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Conway rope trick "show" at the end utilizes something like the Vernon wand spin "drop" of the remaining knot. Hard to visualize here in print, but think about it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Thanks for all the reply's. I should have made myself a bit clearer, but I was afraid that I might expose to much. At the end of this rope routine I'm not left with a piece of rope with a knot.

I'm left with what seems a long rope but in fact I'm holding the loose ends of two of the ropes in my right hand.

Simon
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Then just wind it up and get on with the next item.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Simon said:
Quote:
At the end of this rope routine I'm not left with a piece of rope with a knot.

I'm left with what seems a long rope but in fact I'm holding the loose ends of two of the ropes in my right hand.

Simon

That was the position I was left in with the original rope routine I used to do that was taught to me by Ed Mishell. I was working the streets at the time.

I found that people would come up and asked to see the rope after the effect. I realized that because the knots had disappeared, everyone's attention was left on the rope.

I also found it difficult to show the "restored" rope in an effective fashion. I came up with the idea of adding a knot from my pocket so that both knots can be thrown into the audience.

The attention follows the knots. The rope is then carelessly shown using an original move of mine, and put away. The audience is no longer interested in the rope.

It doesn't really make sense to me to treat the two knots differently. The trick is not really a knot trick after all, but a restoration.

The problem that I have with most rope routines is that they are not routines at all. They are just a series of rope tricks that have no motivation or meaning other than "Here's another little trick..."

I like to see the performer have a routine that has a reason for performing each part of the routine, and an overall arc or storyline that carries the spectator from beginning to end--"I'm going to teach you a trick." "I'm going to sell you a product." "I'm going to demonstrate a scientific invention." "I'm going to contact the spirit world."

This line of thought gives the spectator something to hold onto throughout the routine that keeps him focused and attentive. This point of focus increases the anticipation of the audience as the various complications and climax are reached.

It makes the routine seem to go faster in the spectator's minds.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 19:42, Pete Biro wrote:
Then just wind it up and get on with the next item.

that's exactly what I do now, and it works fine. I was just wondering if there were any subtleties out there to show it as one one rope.

@ whit haydn

Hi whit,

I love your mongolian pop-knot routine. I must have watched it a dozen times on your website. Your presentation is hilarious, but yet you keep the routine very magical. I haven't seen many performers that are so skilled at that. Brilliant!

Dan tong's routine is very similar except for the beginning and the end. I choose for a bit different ending which I motivate with my patter. I fully agree with you about the 'exposition' element (just showing you can do some cool stuff with a rope) in many rope effects, I try to work around that and have a couple ideas which might work for me, but that need to be audience tested.

regards

Simon
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You are showing it as one rope. Don't if they are not chasing you.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You don't want anyone chasing you with a rope...
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
There is a subtlety exactly for that in the Fiber Optics DVD. I use it at the start of a one rope routine. This isn't a move to prove that it is one rope but a subtlety that reinforces that you only have one rope without calling specific attention to it.

If you don't have this DVD, PM me. I think I have a video of my rope routine on the internet somewhere. You'll be able to figure out the move from that.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
MikeDes
I love your routine, it is the same one I do, but I make those moves in a different order, and a kinda different narration. If you learn "full circle", and or "acrobatic knot" you will be able to stretch your rope routine to infinity, or change it every night. This is exactly the kind of rope magic you won't learn in an old dusty rope magic book.
GREAT STUFF
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Thanks Al. I will definitely check those out.

I do this same routine at Birthday party shows but with a helper. The beginning is a bit different as I initially cut the rope to get the two required pieces. At the end the birthday child "magically" cuts the rope as well. It plays really well for the kids and the adults watching just love it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mike
I especially like the way you move the little piece from hand to hand at the beginning, very deceptive.
GREAT STUFF
Al Angello
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
That's the subtlety I was refering to. It's in Fiber Optics.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mike
I'm a rope magic nut, and I have most of the rope magic books, VHS tapes, and DVD's that are worth having. We are on the same page my friend.
Al Angello
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Whit - that is so interesting, thank you for sharing that history and those thoughts
Jolyon Jenkins
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Looks like I have to get both the Mongolian Pop Knots and the Fiber Optic DVDs to learn them all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Subtlety's for showing one rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL