The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video of martial arts demonstration... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Reminds me of the Van Dam show when the "master" punches at that bucket of water and makes the water move, or splash, or something. I wish my Chi could do that.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I am amaze how this little video has brought out so many Wing Chun aficionados. I was studying under Master Joe Sayah before he returned to Australia. The school is now under Master Alon Peterson. Yep, the whole legit "inheritance" of the art from Yip Man is quite an unresolved issue.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I've done martial arts over 50 years, and I'm executive director of one of the largest martial arts organizations in the U.S. I trained with a pre WWII Okinawan sensei, Chinese sensei, Korean sensei and American sensei. I've seen many such demonstrations, and done quite a few myself. I've been in magic about as long as well, and consider myself pretty experienced in most forms of illusion. The reality is a lot is simply what it appears to be, illusion. Some is simply principles of physics that are not obvious to most observers. Some involve aspects of human anatomy and physiology which is not well investigated. Some involve psychology. But there are some that cannot be so easily explained. In the way it was presented in the clip, I cannot say whether what was done was illusion or real. But from having seen thousands of such demos, I'd say most of it was illusion, simply based on the nature of how it was being presented. The real demonstrations I've seen of fa-jing, chi-kung, dim-mak, kyusho jutsu etc, simply were just done. The practitioner just did it, no elaborate set up, no show. Plus the situations where I have observed or done breaks done without contact or deeply penetrated in a stack without disturbing the ones above it were simply done, impromptu, no showmanship. Showmanship in martial arts always raises my suspicion. I saw a long kong jin sifu make some bruises disappear off the arms of one of my students before my eyes. The sifu was of the opinion the bruises he was being asked to "heal" were fresh and recent bruises. They were, in fact, very old bruises, as the student has a blood disorder in which she has an extremely low platelet count. Those bruises had been on her arms for years. All he did was pass his hands a few inches over the top of them. No preparation, no apparent exertion of "energy" just passed his hands over them and they in a few seconds faded before our eyes and returned the skin to what should have been its normal healthy appearance. Having worked in the medical field, in psychology, in magic and marital arts I cannot explain that one. The student was a skeptic. She did not believe this "hoodo" would do anything, after all she had tried everything modern medicine has to offer trying to get rid of those bruises (which were quite large, not small fingerprint size). Her physician was not able to explain it either.
So yes there are some things which our science has yet to discover how it is done, and some of what is done in martial arts or its related areas is based in reality, but we do not yet know the actual mechanism by which it happens.
Yet, the orient is long steeped in magic and shamanism, and these "tricks" have been passed down through generations of martial artist. I know a good number of "chi" or "ki" demos done quite regularly which are nothing more than simply application of applied physics, but the observer is not likely to pick up on that. The demonstrators have been taught that this is caused by chi and believe such, they don't realize they are doing a "trick" So there is no fraud in such types of demos. In others, the demonstrator has to know how to set it up, and as such knows that the demo isn't real. How many people watching a martial arts demo have advanced knowledge and experience in martial arts, psychology, medicine, magic and an undergraduate degree in physics? Not many. Thus, it is like the situation of so called psychics who fool scientist. How? Scientists aren't magicians, they don't know what to control or what to look for. Same with many of these martial arts demos. Some are real and we don't at present have an explaination. Others are illusions being presented as martial arts feats. After all the Chinese words Gong Fu or Kung Fu literally mean "earth master", this also could be translated as "doctor" or "sorceror" or "magician" Wu Shu refers to fighting arts, the use of Gong Fu got attached because they were the arts practiced by the "Gong Fu" Elements of illusion are well documented in some of those ancient practices.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
You really are a fighting priest aren't you? Great post Grasshopper.
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
His method is if you fail to agree with his religious standpoint he will beat it into you Smile Resistance is Futile.
MM
Butler # 254
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
If you think he's bad, you should see the nuns!

Tony
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

I would certainly enjoy that more than you realize Smile
MM
Butler # 254
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17197 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-01-09 14:00, The Doctor wrote:
You really are a fighting priest aren't you? Great post Grasshopper.

Yes, I suppose you could say that. LOL judge for yourself
http://www.akbba.com
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
Kicking ass in the name of the lord....I love it
InvisibleMonkey
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of InvisibleMonkey
How old are you Scott Xavier?
As you seem to have been doing EVERYTHING "for years"...
I'm just wondering as you look about 18 maximum.
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Your kung fu is obsolete! only ninjas have real ultimate power!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-01-10 03:17, shinobi wrote:

A ninja with a sjambok! Interesting idea.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17197 Posts

I don't know about obsolete. I once stepped in Kung Fu, liked to have never got it off my shoes, very obsinate stuff. Smile
Quote:
On 2007-01-10 03:17, shinobi wrote:
cardima
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of cardima
Woow I am impressed!!!
is this guy really use the "chi technique" or its a "trick"
anyway it looks real!
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

It is a trick and I can tell you how its done if you pm me. Best Wishes!
MM
Butler # 254
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Whew! Very interested to see all the other mentalism afficionados who are also into the martial arts.

I've been studying Gracie/Brasilian Jiu-jitsu for almost a decade myself.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

MentaThought I have studied a similar style to you for the last 16 years. I began in Ryu Kyu Shotokan Karate but soon found out that Karate was fine to fight someone in similar style but not that effective on the street. I then began to study Daito Ryu AikiJujutsu. Not only was it totally effective in real world situations but it has served me very well as a police officer for years. Funny how people who share one interest often find out that they are more similar than they first had thought and later find out that they share many many common interest. Mentalism and Martial Arts...what a combination lol.
MM
Butler # 254
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2007-01-14 12:42, kyle_freemason wrote:
Funny how people who share one interest often find out that they are more similar than they first had thought and later find out that they share many many common interest. Mentalism and Martial Arts...what a combination lol.

I hear ya!
I figure that if I can't read their minds at least, with my Jiu-jitsu skills, I can choke them.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
This may be a little unrelated...but are there any books on Qi (Ki, Chi) Gong that I could buy or at least look for?? Or do you have to learn in a studio, like other martial arts (Tai Chi, Jeet Kune Do)?? Just wondering, as you all say some of the material could be used for PK demonstration, and the one and two inch punch have got me stunned.

Interested,
Monte
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Monte,

Please check out the book, "Skills of the Vagabonds" and " Behind The Incredibles-Skills of the Vagabonds" part two. Both of these books were written Ting Leung who is very well versed on this subject. Both books teach all of the little tricks demonstrated in the Chinese circus and by Shaolin Monks. I think you will be most pleased with both books. The subject of pk is also covered in great detail. Hope this helps!

-Kyle

Oh and by the way MentaThought....like I always say when in doubt choke em out!
MM
Butler # 254
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video of martial arts demonstration... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL