The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video of martial arts demonstration... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I have attempted 99% and am working on that 15 now. ;-)

SSHHH! Its a secret!
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Tony:

What did you study under Dr. Ting? WingTsun Kung Fu? Simulated superhuman martial arts feats? or the "real deal" feats?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Arnon:

I spent a year studying Wing Chun.

Tony
ceeswing
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of ceeswing
The Video is impressing (is it real?) but has noting to do with Wing Chun.

Regards
Cornelius
France
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

No, it did not. Not sure where you got the idea that it might.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1018 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I am currently studying Traditional Wing Chun Kung Fu (grandmaster is William Cheung who introduced Bruce Lee to the art back in the 1950's). I agree that video is impressive "magic" with a martial art overtone. This isn't any Kung Fu I know of. I thought they only did this kind of stuff in those Hong Kong movies.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

George:

It is supposed to be a demonstration of Chi Kung.

Tony
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1018 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Thanks Tony. Chi is a vital teaching in Wing Chun, as is in many kung fu style. As you know it deals with that internal force that does not dissipate with age and allows a practioner skills beyond the frailty of our physical bodies. Whether this reaches out to such an external force as portrayed in the video...I am not too sure. Could be called Jedi Kung Smile
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
What is portrayed in the video is trickery and nothing to do with 'chi'.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-01-08 14:28, The Doctor wrote:
What is portrayed in the video is trickery and nothing to do with 'chi'.

No you are wrong. I am everywhere. Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
LOL Chi...

Tony, I take back all those mean things I said about you.

I am starting a new philosophy religion and spioritualistic martial arts movement called psionix it will encompass all the stunts above with out having to be old or drinking weird kool aid.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Scott:

You are one of the reasons I enjoy coming here. Smile

Pass the Koolaide. Smile
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
Anyone got any ideas how the newspaper fire portion of the video was done?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZBfEZLbN......;search=
MM
Butler # 254
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Interesting video...

I have been a student of wing chun for 10 years in the linage of William Cheung (who now lives and teaches in Melbourne Australia). My Sifu Ian Protheroe was Cheung's best student and received an official blessing from Cheung to teach Wing Chun in Queensland where I live. He is also one of the the only Australian Sifu to be a full member of the original Hong Kong 'Ving Tsun Athletic Association' and has Authored several books etc.

Protheroe has a saying 'There are no tricks' by which he means that so called CHI PK (no touch) type demonstations are all BS. However he does acknowledge that a subtle yet powerful internal strength and energy can be greatly enhanced and cultivated with CHI development exercises (Chi Kung, Postural aligment, accupuncture, etc).

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Kyle, buy an electric touch. I use to light torches off my tongue when I toured with the side show using the old electric chair gizzmo which is basically an et on crack (Super charged step down transformer, negative ion generator).
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
268 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
I've got one of William Cheung's books around here somewhere. I studied WingChun under Augustine Fong for about a year. One of these days I hope to return.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Wow!
I am a JKD student here in Taiwan. This is really exciting to know you guys are martial artists.

We also do the 1 and 2 inch punch, no chi here just applied physics.

Al, William Cheung and Leung Ting are serious rivals. About 20 years ago, they had some serious showdowns for who was the legitimate heir to the Wing Chun legacy.

Both are seriously great martial artists.

My teacher, Sammy Chung, is a really great JKD man. He went to Hong Kong in the 70's and studided with Bruce Lee for a few months and caught the bug hard. Finished his training here in Taiwan and now teaches. His floating punch is devastating. He can actually hit you at a very slow speed and the force will travel into your body coiling like a spring. Another interesting thing about Sammy, he is totally deaf!

Nice to be among Kung Fu Brothers!

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
I've been a FMA/silat guy for the past 10 years. All of my teachers have been very grounded. Nobody ever taught me to stop a machete with the power of my mind. Smile

I've had some extremely painful pressure point techniques used on me during live sparring. The other esoteric techniques are wonderful for demonstrations and psychological/spiritual growth (I love watching it) but I've never seen any of it hold up under realistic fighting conditions.

Most of the masters who do these special techniques don't actually need them to beat you into a pulp. Smile
“You are what you pretend to be.”
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2007-01-08 07:24, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Arnon:

I spent a year studying Wing Chun.

Tony

Then you would know what my name means. 5-6 years study under Sifu Hawkins Cheung:)
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
William Cheung took a serious pasting from a punk a few years ago. The tape did the rounds of the clubs a while back. He certainly did not look like a serious martial artist in any way, shape or form judging from the pitiful account he gave of himself. The whole Ving Tsun/Wing Chun saga is going to run and run.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video of martial arts demonstration... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL