The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Misers Dream (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
I was wondering what this trick is and where I could buy it?
Thanks
-Martin-
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Martin,
The Miser's Dream has many variations.
Essentially, the magician has a pail, hat or glass which he holds in one hand.
The other hand pulls coins from the air and drops them into the hat.
That is the bare bones of the trick.
It can be accomplished by pure sleight of hand, by gimmicks and droppers and such, or by a combination of the two.
Tommy Downs' version is in Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.
And just about every good book on basic magic has a version of it.
The real "magic" in the Miser's Dream (Downs' name for the trick which was called, up until that time, the Shower of Silver, Aerial Treasury, and so on) is in the presentation; every magician will come up with his own.
It can be done straight, pantomime, with patter, in a comedy fashion, just about any and every way you can think of.
I open every children's show with it because kids don't think you're a "real" magician unless you can pull a coin out from behind their ears.
Once they've seen you do that, they're in awe of everything else that you do.
Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Martin,
I second Peter's advice: get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. 10 bucks at Barnes and Nobel. Also, Jeff McBride has a simple but effective routine on his first manipulation tape/dvd. (Though his routine does not include audience participation). Also, search this sight for great ideas from all the creative and experienced people on here.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
135 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
John Carney's new book "Secrets" contains a very good routine. Better still, get the Don Alan Magic Ranch video from Bill McIlhany that contains footage of Al Flosso doing his routine. It's a paradigm of how to do the trick with minimal props.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
There are versions in Modern Coin Magic and some by Tommy Nelson Downs in his coin manipulation book. John Carney's is excellent, although I do not know where that can be found. Jim Pace's is also very good. I wish I knew where that could be found too. He might post and say so in here because he is on the Café. Hope that helps.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
John Carney's routine is in "Carneycopia" and Jim Pace's is printed in "Real World Magic" and in his Lecture on Video.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
One of the all time best routines for the Miser's Dream is Charlie Miller's. It is in "The New Modern Coin Magic" by Bobo. This is the revised edition by Magic Inc., printed in 1964, as opposed to the original version that is available in reprint from Dover. It is also in an old Magicana, the insert in Genii Magazine that Charlie edited and wrote from 1965 through the eighties.

Flosso's routine is, as noted, quite wonderful. It has the problem of being very idiosyncratic, something only the "Coney Island Fakir" could really pull off. As a model, though, you will find it helpful, and it is extremely entertaining if nothing else...

As Peter noted, the receptacle can be almost anything, in fact a paper sack is great! There are dozens of appliances to help you with the productions, but the fact is that there are routines that use as few as a dozen coins, and give the impression that you can produce unlimited quantities of coinage. A great example of this is the Wally Dean routine in Bruce Eliotts'"Classic Secrets of Magic" (Later reprinted in paperback as "Great Secrets of the Master Magicians"). It starts with the production of a wine glass, then the coins are produced and dropped in the glass - simple, elegant, and quite magical, with minimal props and no bad angles.

There are routines in which you produce quantities of coins close-up. I would be willing to classify these, loosely, as versions of the "Misers Dream", since you are producing money, though strictly speaking I think the "Misers Dream" should be limited to standup performance. I'm sure that people like Reed McClintock and Curtis Kam could address this issue in great detail. Why not ask on the coin forum if you are interested? I have tons more to say about this classic effect, but I'll give it a rest for now and let someone else jump in.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of kasper777
I have not seen Cellini do his street Miser's Dream. I know he wears a can around his neck, but what about his routine makes it "street" applicable?
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
633 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
The main advantage of the Miser's Dream (Aereal Mint) for the street is that with a metal receptacle, the effect makes lots of noise which generates interest from the passers-by.

Other advantages of the effect include:
- Portability (all you need is a bucket & some coins).
- It's performed standing, and the perfomer can walk around as he/she performs it.
The effect can be performed as without an assistant, with one or more assistants on stage, or in the audience.
- Coins reflect light, so they're more visible than other objects of the same size.

That's about it. No, wait...what's that behind my ear?
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I do Miser's Dream with a chop cup and then use bills to get the cash out again. Coins go in, bills come out.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
ledzepp1918
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of ledzepp1918
Gregory Wilson has a nice version of Misers Dream that is on his On The Spot Tapes. It is good for street work because it only uses two quarters and optional big load for the end. I think its called Toll Free and it can be done close-up.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
well, what is everybody's favourite production that they use for the misers dream..

I am soon starting on this effect and know there are im sure thousands of different productions possible, do you guys just use 1 in a full length routine?

and when dropping the coin, what is the preferred palm, classic, downs, a clip?

thanks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
DJ asks: "well, what is everybody's favourite production that they use for the misers dream.."

I have published several routines in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine.
The most recent were in April and October of 2000. They finish with a giveaway (which the kids in the audience, especially, love!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Misers Dream (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL