The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Labelled DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Has anyone seen this on hocus pocus yet, it looks very interesting to me and I would love to read some reviews if there are some
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
It takes a lot of preperation, to do the versionh shown. It's ok, nothink fantastic. The fact that you do the marking severely detracts from the effect for me as it leads to the inevitablE question, unspoken or not, iof why couldn't I sign it. For me it's a nice idea but not a real work. those willing to put the preperation into this effect however, will probably recieve more reports.
Nick
AaronSmith
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of AaronSmith
You can find a "label to sealed bottle" routine described in Impossible Card in Bottle, towards the end of the booklet. I don't know what similarities the two effects share, but Impossible Card in Bottle has a great deal of extra ideas and tips.

http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=1508

- Aaron Smith
The Magic Depot - Free Shipping WorldWide!

http://themagicdepot.com
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
455 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
This reminds me sooooo much of Osmosis by A. Lourido. So very much, same basic Idea.
I actually like Mr. Lourido's presentation and execution better.
Sealed bottles are always nice, but for this particular label penetration in the ad, it says that it is "visual"??? It is not visual at all. It's a before and after picture.
When does this so called penetration occur? His WHOLE ENTIRE HAND COVERS EVERYTHING.
Arrrrgh, I hate ads like that.

There is never anything visibly passing through the bottle at anytime during the presentation.
You don't actual SEE anything occur. Do you? I don't.

The ENTIRE action of a penetration is covered. So how can it be classified as visual? Where did the magic moment go? To me, it's like looking at a piece of blank white canvas, THEN after some time seeing a picture on it. A before and after type of thing without ever seeing the artist actually slowly create the masterpiece. I see the before, I see the after, but nothing in between.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 16:31, walsall wrote:
It takes a lot of preperation, to do the versionh shown. It's ok, nothink fantastic. The fact that you do the marking severely detracts from the effect for me as it leads to the inevitablE question, unspoken or not, iof why couldn't I sign it. For me it's a nice idea but not a real work. those willing to put the preperation into this effect however, will probably recieve more reports.
Nick

I can see why at first blush you may think so. However, I can tell you after performing this MANY times now, the reactions are VERY STRONG. You may wonder why you couldn't sign it...but I haven't found a spectator yet who does. Give me an effect that WOWS spectators and that's the one I want. This one does.

As for prep, it takes me about 30 minutes to prepare 4 performances. Yeah, it's more time than I wish it took...but the payoff for me is the affect it has on the audience. Is it worth it? It is to me Smile

Best,
Bobby
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1399 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hiphopperco,

Osmosis is a really great effect using a special beer bottle. Wonderful handling and a very well made prop. Labelled makes it possible to have the Label of a real soda bottle ( like sprite/7up etc) signed by the performer with his signature, contact details, word or card prediction, rather than an unmarked label. As Ben points out, Labelled ends with a totally fair and examinable sealed bottle which you can leave with the spectator to KEEP at the end of the routine (you don't need to switch the bottle, you just 'slap or rub' the label 'into' the bottle, then hand it right away to the spectator) With Osmosis, you let them examine the bottle, but unless you want to buy the trick again, you need to take the bottle off them when you leave.

Not knocking Osmosis here at all, its a great trick and the two could be done together in the right setting! Just wanted to clarify the difference between the two for you.

EVERYONE ELSE: Take a look at the reviews section thread for Labelled for reviews from Café members who have actually purchased labelled and give their experiences. You will need to work through a long argument about the definition of 'Visual' but it's worth seeing past that for the reviews from members who actually own and perform it.

Yes the signature has to be your own. But the idea of the effect is to give the spectator a souvenier. Your signature works well, but better still would be to write your telephone number or web address on the bottle and leave it with them.
Or the value of a forced card!

I've been performing this for several months now, and have had bookings as a result of having my contact details on the bottle. Especially good if you are doing a trick for a restaurant manager!

One booking came from a bottle that was left on the desk of an agent, and another agent picked it up and asked about it. Its a very striking 'impossible object' that gets examined very closely (which is no problem) and a real bonus when your contact details are on it!

Hope this helps
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
Ben Williams wrote:
I would just like to add, apart from the obvious promotional aspect of the marking there is another reason for marking the bottle whether with an X, signature or details. This reason is so that the spectator's don't just claim that the label was always in the bottle, trust me after doing this for a while the marking on the label has been proof and also an added smack in the chops for people who think they know how it's done. I have had more than one person say, 'ahh I bet the label was always on the inside!' a simple reference to the marking made on the label quickly dispells this theory. Some groups may be fine, but if you don't have a marking and someone says it was always inside the bottle you have lost all that magic for not just that person who feels they have figured you out but for all the people who are amazed and stunned by the effect.

I thought I might just mention that as it the marking has helped me in the past.

Thought it would be helpful to post Bens own advice regarding the need for the bottle to be signed or marked.
MikeMetal2006
View Profile
Regular user
Anchorage, Alaska
111 Posts

Profile of MikeMetal2006
Where can I get the dvd at?? Will some one please om me with the information.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi

Two shops that have it right now are:

US http://www.hocus-pocus.com

UK http://www.Magicshop.co.uk

Its available to dealers exclusively through Murphys Magic Supplies.
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Will let you guys know what I think when I get this...I have an idea about one aspect of it, and if I'm right..it opens up so many more possibilities for different effects.

If not..then I'm even more stumped than before.
Should be here tomorrow or so... *** the suspense.
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Ok, just got this.
I have to say....I will use this, without a doubt. I'm a definetly a fan of this.

The set up is fine, I've just set up one bottle in 20 minutes, with no trouble at all.

Thanks for this Ben, upcoming birthday party and I will be performing this without a doubt. Will let you guys know of reactions.
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
866 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hey ShallowVision,

I'm glad you liked it and had no problems, let us know how your performance went, it would be great to know how it went down.

Cheers

Ben
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Also, working on a way of having this examinable before you do the effect.

Turns out to be slightly impractical but..may be worth it in the end.
-Lloyd Wright
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Labelled DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL