The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Drunk, Stoned, or High at Ring Meetings? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Hence the By laws that affect behavior of the members. We as a group have to reserve the right to exclude members if they are participating in illegal activities or are impaired enough to cause a nuisance. I can not stress how far this can go as a single impaired member driving out of the parking lot can land you in court. Here in DC (there are two lawyers for each person) Legal suits are a way of life and DUI laws are tough. This isn't the 60's anymore gang.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Wow! I did not know that this thread would bring up so many different ideas what people think is ok and what isn't when it comes to going to a ring meeting under the infulence. Some people I notice need everything spelled out to them to understand. If you are causing problems and embarassing the club in or out of the meeting you are causing a problem. What I mean out of the meeting is that if you are performing and someone comes up to you and ask you do you know magician so and so. You say "Yes. He is a nice guy." Then they tell you about how high he or she was at this magic show that they were hired for and that they were selling drugs to their friends. This just is not right. By reading these replies it is easy to see that some people do not understand what a true professional is when it comes to performing for others. My conclusion is if you are making it uncomfortable for others because of the way you use your substance and are going to a club or representing a magic club don't get ****ed when someone tries to talk to you about it. Also, fighting a club meeting or club event is uncalled for. Now, if one of the guys if drunk or high or showing his a-- someone should tell this person about it. How the under the influence person acts because he might not be all there at the moment he may not remember or cannot recall what was really happening if he or she thinking might be impaired. I have been performing magic professionally for 22 years. I have never drank alochol, used drugs, or smoked. So I am sorry if I come off strong about this topic. I just believe now that if no one tells the person or people about what's going on they might never know how and why they are acting the way. Finally, by us all being in the Brotherhood in the end we all should care about each other.

Bairefoot
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
Maybe if this is such a problem it should be addressed at your next meeting.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Dredz, Like I have said before in past post about this topic. I only posted this thread to see hows rings would and do deal with this Drunk, Stoned, or High in their ring and if its ever happened before. I have never said anything about my and your Ring. Again thanks to everyone that has answered the post and sent me private emails. All the best.

One more thing Dredz I have never said that there is a problem in our Ring. Everyone to my knowledge have great behavior in the Ring and problems that people had in the past are in the past. Am I missing something? By the way this post has to be one of the all time viewed list. Just wondering if it does.

That did not sound right. What is the highest viewed post ever and which one has the most replies ever? That is what I was trying to say.

Bairefoot
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Quote:
Right on.......

I can assure you if someone has smoked some pot..They will not be a nuisance in any way... It just doesn't make sense..

Tell that to the two toddlers in the news recently because their uncle gave them pot to smoke. Not a nuisance, I'm sure you can assure us of that.

Pure Lunacy!

Jim
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I've been involved with a few rings. They all seem to have someone that make others uneasy. I figure every organiztion has that problem. It does make the meetings not quite as enjoyable. I hope I'm not one of those people. Some folks like to show off, some like to sit there and just watch. Different strokes. I myself can get chatty at time, hopefully not at the wrong time. And my lines may not sound as witty to others as they do to me.......must be the low grade drugs. Sorry just had to pop that in for a laugh. Don't flame me...with your fire wallet. see it goes on and on. Mr. Straight (and not so funny).. Trois
ps.. I'll go to Charleston for a lecture to. I've got some orginal stuff I'll share and some takes on some classic, plus my son lives there.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Hoagini
View Profile
New user
USA
34 Posts

Profile of Hoagini
Just have the meetings in the morning. Guaranteed the people will only hungover at the very least. If they're under the influence at time of day they are probably even less likely to show up anyways. The night seems to bring out the ugly in people.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hi,

We just reactive our ring 321.
We have written club rule, members who influence under drunk, stone is not allowed enter the room. The sergeant at arm can warn them.

CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Wow Ssucahyo. Did this thread have anything to do with this written club rule that ring 321 has now? Thanks

Bairefoot
fingerflickin
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of fingerflickin
Well, I think I found our spokesperson for every ring meeting around the world..
LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYGvMGUa26k
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
That one really got me thinking. Just say no to drugs and booze, for sure, but really say no to fat guys in mesh shirts!

Thanks for the laugh. So many ways up the mountain...

Yours,

Paul
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I'm going to the ford clinic for bad attire.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for their input on my thread. So here it goes.

I would like for Ring 334 and other Café members to know at no time was I talking about Ring 334. Ring 334 is a great ring with great members. I started the thread just to know how others would handle this type of situtation. Someone asked me the other day how I would handle it and this is what I said. I would go directly to the person or persons causing the problems and talk directly to them.

Again Thanks goes to everyone who has help and replied to Drunk, Stone, or High.

Once again. I belong to a great Ring Ring 334 and my question at the start of Drunk, Stoned, or High had nothing to do with my Ring 334. They only thing is that maybe I could have worded that first question a little better. Again, Drunk, Stoned, or High had nothing to do with Ring 334.

Thanks for reading and eveyone here have a Magical Day.

Bairefoot
sclitsome
View Profile
New user
Jamaica's Alright
47 Posts

Profile of sclitsome
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 23:11, Bairefoot wrote:
Eric I think you are missing the point. A ring meeting or some ring meetings are trying to make better performers and for some just a chance to perform. If someone is visting the ring or new and sees someone under the influence at a public meeting like a Ring Meeting this could be trouble. I would not want those people saying yeah that had this guy who was high but he did great stuff. And sure would not reccomend anyone who came high or stoned to a club meeting for a paid performance or let them be on any public show that the ring is doing. Becuase how do I know he want show up that way?

Bairefoot

The funny thing about our ring is that they're not "trying to make better performers" they just go to hang out and heckle each other. I am 21 and WAS the youngest member. And as far as worrying about getting recommended for shows, well that won't happen because all our members are hobbyists. That's why it's not even worth going to the ring now. No artistic, social or professional merit. Just a bunch of people doing the same tricks every night and making the same bad jokes at each other's expense. So why not have a few beers?
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2008-11-16 18:28, sclitsome wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 23:11, Bairefoot wrote:
Eric I think you are missing the point. A ring meeting or some ring meetings are trying to make better performers and for some just a chance to perform. If someone is visting the ring or new and sees someone under the influence at a public meeting like a Ring Meeting this could be trouble. I would not want those people saying yeah that had this guy who was high but he did great stuff. And sure would not reccomend anyone who came high or stoned to a club meeting for a paid performance or let them be on any public show that the ring is doing. Becuase how do I know he want show up that way?

Bairefoot

The funny thing about our ring is that they're not "trying to make better performers" they just go to hang out and heckle each other. I am 21 and WAS the youngest member. And as far as worrying about getting recommended for shows, well that won't happen because all our members are hobbyists. That's why it's not even worth going to the ring now. No artistic, social or professional merit. Just a bunch of people doing the same tricks every night and making the same bad jokes at each other's expense. So why not have a few beers?

Then why bother going at all. Seriously, if it's all that tedious, there are more pleasant excuses for having a few beers.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Man I'm going to be in trouble then. I've started writing a show for myself that involves a drunk magician. I walk out on stage drunk (acting at first), drink throughout the show, do tricks based around beer bottles, drinking, and shots, and will actually end up a little tipsy at the end of the show. Guess I shouldn't practice the routine at one of the meetings ;-)

And yes I know I can do the whole routine with colored water but what fun would that be Smile

I'd have to agree that as long as you're not breaking any laws (driving drunk, acting intoxicated in public) and you're not being obnoxious during the meeting it shouldn't really matter. There are such things as medical marijuana prescriptions (at least in California) so it's not always illegal. Being intoxicated and acting intoxicated in public are two different things.

I will say if you're completely intoxicated then it would be a waste to go to a meeting anyways since you wouldn't get much out of it and in that case should stay home. I don't think anyone should attend anything completely intoxicated but I don't have a problem if someone has had a few drinks, smoked a little, and is sitting quietly or contributing good things to the meeting. I've seen plenty of people that prove you can be completely sober and still be completely annoying.

After saying all of that, if the IBM has made it a rule then it should be followed.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
FX...reminds me of a routine called Guzzler's Gin..(now done brilliantly by Tom Mullica as Red Skelton..

In theatre, I have played one who enjoys his liquor(including brother Stanley in Smoke on the Mountain) One can act, without having the inspiration coming from liquid spirits.

Besides meetings, I am guessing that I am not the only one that has also observed this at conventions..(magic and other types)

As one who used to work in Reno, I have seen alcohol lead to interesting behavior.
Of course this is not restricted to magic. This also includes churchs, malls, comedy clubs, business luncheons...and as the King of Siam said..

Ect, Ect, Ect...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I've contemplated performing the routine without any alcohol involved. I don't feel that I actually need the alcohol for inspiration but I think it actually adds to the act if people know that I actually get a little tipsy by the end of the show, it just adds to the humor. If someone asks me after the show I want to say that it is real alcohol without having to lie about it. If people know that it is all an act I believe that in some way it will take away from the magic I've performed as well (fake alcohol must mean the rest of the show must be fake, which it is of course but you don't want to validate it any more than you have to).

I love watching Ron White perform (Blue Collar comedy guy). As the show goes on you can really see it in his face that he's feeling the alcohol a bit more. I read an interview with him saying that the fans are also really forgiving if he flubs a line or forgets what he was talking about since he's been drinking, might be a good way to cover up any minor mistakes I could make in the show. I don't plan on getting wasted during the show, just enough to get a good buzz but still be able to drive home an hour or two after the show (meet and greets, packing up the show).
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
FX....Humor and laughter are wonderful things...They are among the things I am thankful for these days/daze.

Ah the joys of acting including magic shows...

Being able to handle "hecklers", can help. Over the years, they have come up everywhere for me. This includes kids at birthday parties, 8 AM shows for middle school students, comedy clubs and even at Church events....

re: artistic inspiration with "spirits"...

Reminds me of my earlier theatre years doing Cuckoo's Nest...(one flew over that is)

Do you think Thorazine would have helped?...(smile, and mini lol.)

Isn't it great to have a place to share ...agree..and at times agree to disagree....

With tongue somewhere near my cheek.....

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Yes I totally agree, it's great to have a place to share thoughts and agree or disagree. I work in film but I'm not much of an actor (I've acted in plenty of student films, it's just not my thing). I don't like playing characters when I perform my magic either, I don't like saying "On my last trip to China an old wise man gave me these magical coins", or "This deck of cards used to be my great grandfather's until he was shot in a dual", I like being myself. Right now I'm a 28 year old who likes to drink with friends, head out to bars and clubs, crack a few jokes, and perform a little magic. I just want my show to reflect that. I'm sure once I'm older my attitude and presentations will change, once I actually do get to visit China Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Drunk, Stoned, or High at Ring Meetings? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL