The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Eddie Gibson's Chinese Bit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Has anyone own this effect? From the description, seems like it is the same effect as Copper/ Silver/ Brass. Is this the same? Thanks. Smile
Bernard Sim
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I am pretty sure that the Chinese Bit has a center plug that fills the hole of a chinese coin when it is nested together. This makes the coin work as a double face coin as well.
Click to visit:
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
That's right.We talked about it once Dan W.
I have a set.
I believe Presley Guitar (my God, was that his real name?) invented the CSB with a chinese coin because it looked more impossible, because of the hole. compared to the original 2C/1S by conny Haden.
But because of the hole, the gimmick can not be shown as a C/S coin.
Eddie gibson solved this in a very clever way and made his Chinese Bit, where the gimmick can be shown on two sides, plus it uses a chinse coin.
It is a beautiful set but keep two things in mind:
-Due to the "plug", Dan Watkins mentioned, the gimmick is sometimes a little harder to nest. This sometimes leads to fumbling at times "one should not fumble"...

-Also due to the plug, the silver side of the gimmick looks strange at times, when there is no perfect allignment. Because I live and perform in Holland, no one ever mentioned this, but it could be another story in the country where a half dollar is more common.

Last time I saw a set offered by a dealer (Dec 2001 at MacMillan's in London) I noticed Eddie uses other chinese coins than I have. I prefer my "older" style.

After 6 years of use I changed it for a Todd Lassen set, because I wanted dollar size coins and real silver.

Nevertheless, a very beautiful set and an absolute miracle to laymen!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Thanks for the enlightenment, guys.
Bernard Sim
Gruff
View Profile
New user
UK
9 Posts

Profile of Gruff
Hi,

I have both the Eddie Gibson set and the Johnsonn set. Personally I prefer the Johnsonn set as the nesting and un-nesting are made far more easier by the absence of the plug, thus leading to (i feel) a much 'cleaner' and fumble free performance!!

I also feel this leads to much 'cleaner' and far more rapid transpositions. Ok, maybe its only a split second between the two for un-nesting, but i feel that the johnson set has the slight edge over the Gibson set for this reason.

The other reason i prefer the Johnson set is that the colour changes are far more stark and dramatic between the coins, thus making the appearance that more startling and adding the element of surprise Smile.

hope this helps
Gruff.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
So, back to the first question...
are there any good routine out there for eddie's chinese bit?
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
I have the Eddie Gibson set in Half Dollar / Old English Penny / Chinese.
Nesting is no problem. When shown as a Half Dollar the plug cannot be seen even close up. It also helps in showing the Chinese fake with the hole clearly.

Eddie Gibson's coins are second to none.

Regards
Mike
Smile Guess which hand the frog is in.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Eddie Gibson's Chinese Bit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL