The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Blown Eggs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 11:14, jlevey wrote:
Is the Steven's Eggs-Actly EGG lightweight enough to use effectively with the Malini egg-bag?
I am torn between ordering a half dozen of blown egs from Denny magic and one good (long-lasting) Steven's egg.

Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Go to your local market. Buy Grade A medium (bantam in some regions) or large eggs... just the six pack. That will cost you approximately $0.99 USD. Then go to your local hardware store, purchase lightweight spackle. If you do not have a tiny nail or brad, go ahead and pick up one. You should get out of your hardware store for less than $6.

When you get home, take the eggs near the sink. Lightly tap the top of one of the eggs with the brad and a hammer or striking object of your choice until you get a hole the size of ball point pen's tip. Turn the same egg over and repeat. Run warm/hot water over and through the egg. Occasionally blow the egg... I'm not being rude... I mean it. When you see clear water passing through the egg, you're mostly done at that point. Repeat with as many eggs as you wish. Give the eggs a few hours to dry.

Once the eggs have dried, put some white glue inside them, and try to let the glue coat the inside as much as possible. Again, let dry.

Next place some spackle over the holes. You can make the spackle smooth with your fingers, no need for sanding. You will encounter some problems occasionally with the hole opening, but just add more spackle.

Be prepared to break some eggs while doing this. That said, you will have a set of good props for under $10.
Certainly buy the others if you wish, I have. Just be prepared to drop them, crush them, have your dog eat them, or have Eric Evans drop them in a parking lot prior to a show. That's ok... just fork out another $15 and you will have your new name brand props in 5-7 business days.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The Tirofog Eggs-Actly that Stevens Magic sells is a real egg that has been blown and reinforced with an interior coating. They are much sturdier than a blown egg but will crack if dropped. This is the egg that Gazzo recommended and sold at his master class. It works well with the Malini style bag.

We had a broken one at the master class. Looking inside we even found a logo glued to the inside of the egg! From what I can tell, they go in from the side with a moderate sized hole, liberally coat the insides, apply the logo and seal it up.

The Denny and Lee eggs are real too. Last time I checked they still had holes in the ends. I don't know if they're reinforced in any way.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 14:47, Dave VanVranken wrote:
The Tirofog Eggs-Actly that Stevens Magic sells is a real egg that has been blown and reinforced with an interior coating. They are much sturdier than a blown egg but will crack if dropped. This is the egg that Gazzo recommended and sold at his master class. It works well with the Malini style bag.

Yes, they will crack and you've paid more than $1. And sold for $$$ profit at a masterclass.
And remember, more doctors smoke Camels.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Aren't there any very lightweight synthetic eggs, that look real, on the market?

To answer my own question...
I suppose there are farmers that raise synthetic chickens, thus producing such eggs, but in case there aren't any such farms in our area, or such farms that have on-line gorcery stores, can any Café members recommend any Magic dealers that sell such eggs --seriously? No Yolk.

I'm prepared to shell out some cold cash for the right syntheic egg (or at least PayPal cash).

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 14:47, Dave VanVranken wrote:. This is the egg that Gazzo recommended and sold at his master class. It works well with the Malini style bag.

I would appreciate if you guys could refrain from using my name when giving information out on these forums. In the future, you could PM me and ask if its okay to write that "Gazzo said this, Gazzo said that, etc"

The fact be known I recommend that you use Exactly Eggs or Perfect Eggs for Practice Only. But for performance you blow your own Egg. In my opinion the Exactly and Perfect eggs are too heavy.

Thanks,
Gazzo

P.S. This is why I lecture and have workshops. So people can obtain my performance skills and knowledge from me.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Below is the product description direct from Steven's web site, for their
"Eggs-Actly Eggs"...

Eggs-Actly... The perfect egg to use for any egg bag routine! Realistic, hollow, light-weight. Specially treated for extra durability. NOW AVAILABLE IN MEDIUM AND SMALL...PLEASE SPECIFY SMALL OR MEDIUM WHEN YOU ORDER!

It's interesting to note that by claiming their eggs to be "realistic", they seem to suggest that these particualr eggs "are not real"...

Question...Are the Steven's Eggs-Actly eggs "REAL EGGS" that have been modified, or are they "fake eggs", made to look real?

Please clarify.

If you drop one of these Steven Eggs onto the floor, indadvertently (...not thrown down with hard G-force), is it likely to crack, break, or damage in any way?

In addition, Steven's offers to sell both a"medium" size egg and a "small" size egg. Which size egg is more suited for use with the Malini style bag?

Finally, back to my eariler question posted above...

Does anyone happen to know a dealer that sells lightweight plastic or hard synthetic type egg that looks real, and is good for using in conjunction with the Malini type Egg-bag?

If so, please provide a link to the dealer's site.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I'd like to know also where there be some realistic synthetic eggs. I've yet to find any in my search.

I use blown eggs w/a little spackle, seems to work fine in practice and performance.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
While waiting for someone to suggest a reliable source for purchasing synthetic/light-weight eggs, I've just "blown" my first egg and it "looks" great... in fact, it looks "very realistic" .

I'm doubtful that I can drip glue through the tiny "nail-hole" at the top (or is it at the bottom?!?) of this egg.

I suppose I could make the hole larger, or I seem to recall a note about purchasing a Dr's needle at a local pharmacy and injecting the egg with the glue.

Does someone have the link to the instructions that descrtibe this method?

Withough the glue inside, will the blown egg tend to crack if dropped from waist height?

Please advise.

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Actually, I found "one" of these links:

http://sunnisan.com/crafts/eggblowing.html

Seems I was mistaken. The needle (or "syringe"), is used to extract the liquid inside the egg. It is not used to "inject" the glue.

Still, re-inforcing the inside ofthe egg with Elmer's glue seems like a great idea. So I can't help thinking that injecting glue would be a good thing, if possible.

Suggestions?

Jonathan
Jonathan
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use wooden eggs for practice and eggs-actly eggs in performance.
For the very lightweight malini bags, I also think the eggs-actly eggs are too heavy. With the malini bags that use heavier material the eggs-actly eggs seem fine.

For the really lightweight malini bags, I think that a blown egg is really necessary.

If an eggs-actly egg cracks it will still be usable unless you just drop it on the street.

If you want to make your own, I think Jim Wilder's advice is what I'd use.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks Frank!
Jonathan
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Reality is, if the egg is really on your "want list", it likely can be broken. Always have backups and hope you carry them for no good reason.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I roll a tiny piece of kleenex tight between my finger and thumb to get a round wedge shape, stick it into the hole in the egg, and then slice off the excess with a razor blade. I then seal it with a tiny daub of white Elmer's Glue. Works geat, with no mess!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Elmer's Glue is the basis of a lot of things in life! It's not limited to magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

*** As he prepares strings for his "impromtu" cut and restored string routine.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
OKay, I have to plead ignorance here, I have been doing the egg bag for years & have never used a blown egg & do not really see why I would. I currently use an excellent wood egg that I can get for a buck & looks & feels like the real thing. What are the advantage of a blown egg over the durability of a wooden egg?

Thanks, Tom
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The advantage of a blown egg over a wooden egg is that you handle a blown egg like a real egg -- gingerly. It adds to the verisimilitude of the effect.

Johnny Thompson covers this on his egg bag video. Get the smallest, whitest eggs you can find -- if you can get pee wee eggs, they are the best. Blow the whole dozen.

I'll put the instructions for blowing an egg in the secret sessions.

I'll also finish off how to prepare the egg for use with a Malini style egg bag.

And I have included how to prepare the egg skins the way Tommy Martin, who was world famous for the egg on the fan, showed me.

You can find this here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......37&0
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks Bill!!
Jonathan
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
I have had some success with filling blown eggs with expanding foam. It gives them a bit more strength and weight. I exploded a few in my first experiments, so wear safety goggles if you try this!

Blowing things up is FUN!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 00:07, Stuart Coyle wrote:
I have had some success with filling blown eggs with expanding foam. It gives them a bit more strength and weight. I exploded a few in my first experiments, so wear safety goggles if you try this!

That would be fun!!!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 00:07, Stuart Coyle wrote:

Yes child, your dad was shelled in the war. No he did not get the Purple Heart. He got the foam yoke.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Blown Eggs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL