The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming Soon...Street Magic Magazine and "PINCHED" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
Hello All,
Blacks Magic Group is about to release a Street Magic magazine soon. Be it in the streets or in a restaurant; it's all closeup. Here is a link to their site so you can get info on it and to sign up for a newsletter.
James Clark is a very nice guy with integerity and some great ideas.

I have been doing cloe-up for 8 years now and with the help of Blacks Magic Group; I have created a new effect that will be released in the future. It's called PINCH.

A 1 3/4" aluminum roof nail is handed out for inspection, when it is returned, you ask a spectator to put out their fore finger. You place the nail on their finger and yours goes on top. As you focus, bringing heat and pressure to the fingertips, you gently rub and pinch the nail. When fingers are lifted, there are DEEP IMPRESSIONS of BOTH fingers in the nail. It is as if it was heated and pinched almost flat.
A few variations: Do it in just their fingers, do it in just yours, a combonation of both ( as above ) or after they return it, have them mark the head with a sharpie (kinda like signing it).
So there it is. An effect that looks like the metal has melted. So look for more about this in the magazine.

http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/

Magically,
Joseph
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Who says street magic has to be close up?
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Good Point.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Quote:
On 2007-01-12 03:56, JamesinLA wrote:
Who says street magic has to be close up?

Nobody I think. The magazine just seem to focus on closeup streetmagic Smile

Nicolas
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Perhaps the magazine should be re-titled "TV Magic".

"Street Magic" ISN'T all close up, nor does it have much to do with TV Magic.

In reading about this magazine on the Blacksmagic site, apparently the term "Street Magic" USED to apply to busking, but as declared by the new "StreetMagic" magazine, DOESN'T any longer! (i was relieved to read that apparently that the "old" busking style of street magic can co-exist comfortably with the "new" self-tying shoelaces style of street magic........wheeeeww!)

The pompus and lame attempt to re-define the words "Street Magic" is bold to say the least.

I don't know what the first edition of this magazine will actually cover in issue #1, but from all descriptions so far, it will have NOTHING to do with Street Magic.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Lots of speculation out there, yet nobody has even seen an issue yet.

I think you nailed it Silverking when you said, “…I don’t know.”

You call it pompus and lame yet you are simply regurgitating a term coined by JS, et all. I have a word for you mate: “Baaahhhhhaaaaaa.” Do you honestly think the term "street magic" is something that was invented back in the middle ages with busking? Your post is truly high brow.

Try getting an intellectual grip with these two words: taxonomy and folksonomy.

Oh, wait… forgive me, I now see why you are the authority in this matter: you have 1230 posts. My bad.

:)

James
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Shot down..

Looking forward to seeing this come out. Should be interesting.
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
What's up ShallowVision?!

I love Ireland. Spent time in both Erie (Dublin, etc) and NI in Derry, Belfast, and a few other places.

Great Criac there mate!

JC
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Hey Smile

Nice enough place isn't it ? Good place to have a bit of craic alright.

Will there be a 12 month subscription available when this comes out or individual purchases ? I'd like to see a yearly subscription. I reckon I'd enjoy this...a lot.
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
You're pretty defensive there James, but that's hardly surprising since it's your magazine.

But kudo's to you for defending your investment, and I hope you prove me wrong regarding your choice of content.

Regarding your claim that my post was high brow, I'm not the guy who feels the NEED to put "MBA" in my sig here on the Café, or to use words like taxonomy and folksonomy. (although they're actually good choices for responding to my thoughts on your single handedly re-defining the meaning of Street Magic...your only error being the failure to put them into a sentence).

As you know, the number of posts somebody has has nothing to do with anything, but it was a nice try only to come off like flailing at the wind.

So.....BAAAAAHHAAAA to you MATE, and all the best!
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Silverking: I’m not defensive at all; if anything I am amused at your half-wit attempt to attack the name and direction of our periodical without logical justification. There is no need to prove you wrong; you just are.

It is a ludicrous assertion on your part to suggest that somehow we’ve single handedly redefined anything; that is a market shift that has a decade of history propagated by countless others in the real world who make it a multi-million dollar industry. Economically alone, the term street magic has value. And we’re no longer talking about busking—despite the term association.

The sad thing is that your post reeks of amateurish logic and a myopic understanding of the current culture; if the best you have to offer are fallacies in argumentation and weak come backs, then we’ve already wasted too many ones and zeros.

However, because you have totally misrepresented what we have said about the magazine and the term street magic itself, it is worth pointing out to those who lurk that your points serve one real purpose: they prove you are just another member of the flock with no foundation to your critique; in that respect, my only goal here is to rebuke your claims about the magazine so others can read the antithesis.

When you step out from behind your computer and make an effort to impact culture—beyond posting on a forum—then I will take you much more seriously.

Until then, what’s the point?

BTW, the reference to “highbrow” was but veiled sarcasm. Surely you didn’t really think I considered your rant intelligent? Smile Oh, and do you actually have an MBA? If not, perhaps that is why you wouldn’t feel the “need” to use it in your signature. You might need to earn one first before you do that.

:)

If any of the readers would like to know what I actually said about the magazine, they can read it at http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com or in the Feb issue of Genii or the interview at imagic.com.

ShallowVision: PM me and I'll give you the details.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Mr Clark, Snr., MBA, you don't have to defend your magazine so aggressively. I'm sure that people will buy it based on your personality alone.

Jeff
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
LOL.

It is funny how the assumption is that I am “aggressively defending” anything. There’s nothing to defend. That’s the one thing I wish was different about this particular communications medium; you can’t “hear” or “see” inflection or body language. If my writing is coming off that way, man, I wonder what it would look like if I were truly upset! Ha ha.

For me, this is nothing more than a slight diversion from reality. Smile

But people will buy the magazine because the content is top notch. It doesn’t matter if people personally like me or not; people want something good to read instead of the same ol' same ol. That's the one thing SM will provide that sets us apart from other magic related magazines.

But this whole thread was supposed to be about Pinched and it seems to have been hijacked, which is partly my fault; Pinched is a better topic anyway. Joe's got some wonderful ideas and I think they will be well received by the magic community.

JC
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2007-01-13 22:49, jclark wrote:
do you actually have an MBA? If not, perhaps that is why you wouldn’t feel the “need” to use it in your signature. You might need to earn one first before you do that.

PHD bro......but I'm not a pompous a.s.s. with a huge ego, so I leave it on the business cards where it belongs.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
When is Street Magic Magiazine scheduled for release? Tried to find it at a book store today.

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Now it's getting sporty. About time!

Sure you are “bro” or you wouldn't have attacked the magazine without foundation. You strolled into this post, which wasn’t really about the magazine, and let fly. And I was right; you don’t have an MBA, which largely explains your lack of insight into the current market and why you would just regurgitate what others say instead of stepping back and approaching the issue objectively. It shows.

Now you have a PhD? LOL! Fantastic. Okay, I’ll bite.

Where did you go to school my good man? When did you graduate? What was your thesis on? How many words was it? Was it research or taught? What was your GPA? Did you also earn a masters before doing your PhD? In what? I happen to have two myself and right now I am ABD on my PhD, but that is after attending law school. So it isn’t like I didn’t go the terminal route already. LOL!

But if I were you, I’d ask for my money back. Clearly you missed out on the logic and comprehension classes or you wouldn’t have misquoted and misrepresented what we have published about the magazine and our business goals with it.

I can play the testosterone induced one-up-manship all day long with the best of them... and my accomplishments are public record and easy to verify, not hidden behind a computer screen there tough guy. So, if you have a PhD that means you are published; where can I find this masterpiece of academic writing then?

Heck, put my name in Google, Yahoo, or Amazon and I pop right up. Let's play then. What is YOUR name? Oh, right... I don't see that in your signature line. Why is that?

Yep, I have a real signature line; the one you save for your business card I guess. You call it arrogance (well, you at least spelled “pompous” right this time) but I call it being transparent. I’m simply not afraid to go toe to toe with people like you who get online and try to play like they are the authority on the subject.

Save your drivel for people who will put up with it; I;ll put you to task there Doc.

Too funny. Ha Ha.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Tony: March. Happy to send you a copy if you like when it releases. Just PM me and I'll take care of you. Same with you ShallowVision. JC
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
You've got anger issues James, deal with them before you get an ulcer.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
LOL! I'm just having fun. Didn't see you answer though did I.
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Hey James,

I'm interested in your academic career; where did you start and what do you hope to achieve?

-May help others understand your message better.

PS: Awesome work here James - hats off!
http://www.jameslclark.com/katrina/index.html

Regards

David
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming Soon...Street Magic Magazine and "PINCHED" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL