The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is Grey the New Brown? (It's not for lack of trying) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
There are dozens of Derren clones out there but few are as blatant as Grey. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If that's true, Derren Brown is truly on top of his game.
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
Quote:
On 2007-01-12 13:03, chichi711 wrote:
My question is this. What will Grey's new user name be?

As of now, it's "The Wicked Mr. Grey"

DM

p.s. is he trying to catch us out?
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Wow. Well there's someone I'm never talking to again. We should all do the same. Disgusting.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Amazing - the Café has not erased this thread! Guess because this time it is clear this is not opinion - but fact?

Again, I wonder if the F/U performance will be "There is Something Rotten in Old Denmark"...or Toronto.

Out out, brief candle. (Or was it a copy of a candle?)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Well said, Alex. Now off to book tickets for Derren's new show...
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Although I wasn't aware of it, I'm told that Derren Brown performed the Magic Square routine in his previous show as well. So it seems the only thing not Derren's presentation might have been the unpublished McCambridge Pk touches routine that Grey attempted.

Apologies.

- entity
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
That is, quite frankly, disgusting. I believe I offered a kind word to Mr. Grey whilst the accusations were flying around, thinking him to be a vaguely honest performer. I guess I was wrong. As has been said, people like this are destroying our art, reducing it to the mastery of blatant copying.

I'm glad you spent time posting your comments, Thomas. One part that made me feel particularly amused was your reiteration of Mr. Grey's words:

"But as for the clone comment... It is bad, yes, but that will not stop it. It just might, in fact, give them more business because people will want to see this kind of stuff live. And they can't see Derren so they'll settle for less. They won't be as happy with it, but they will settle for it. The only one's who will really care about this will be us, the people who do the work and appreciate it."

Pfff.
"Man's highest reward for his dedication to the pursuit of excellence is not what he gets from it, but what he becomes through it."
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of magikcid
Well hopefully this is a wake up call. He seems to be young so maybe he can turn this around to a positive. Definite soul searching on the horizon. As everyone else here, I am a fan of Derren Brown and we should use his example to elevate the art. But in this case, maybe for Mr. Grey, not to watch any mentalists at all especially Derren. Better yet, draw inspiration from outside mentalism to hopefully create something original. It may take a while and it is definitely the more difficult of paths but in the end, would you want to be known as another Derren Brown imitator or the only Mr. Grey.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Last month I was quick to join into the fray on a similar thread in a different part of the Café, a lot of things were said in the heat of the moment, much of it was emotional (on my part and that of others), so in attempting to learn from past behavior and not repeat it, I'll just say this: This whole course of events is saddening and disappointing in many ways.

Tony
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Did he do the little Derren head nod thing?

BTW, thank you Thomas for the excellent and very honest review.
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Hmm I think I am lucky in a few ways. I have no idea who most of you are....No idea Who Grey is...And I thought Derren Brown was just a Mentalist who wrote books. you see, I hate television, I rarely if ever watch it. I just learned who Chris angel was a couple of months ago... and I've never seen his show. I read... alot.

althought lately I've had the desire to shave off the center of my beard, start wearing a lot of eye make up and give myself a widows peak that could cut butter..........on second thought... Naaaah! (grin)
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Arcane...
check your PMs!
xxx
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
You mean das blinkin lights up tops? ok...
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Noobs..
xxx
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Hey! I've never even looked at another guy.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I wonder if Mr Grey will post in this thread. I am sure he has some explanation. I would love to hear it. Hmm... maybe his Avatar will age and grow wicked looking versus himself.

Personally with a stage name like that - he could have done the Portrait and other picture effects. Oh well.

Then again, his avatar has been of Criss Angel for a while. Maybe Criss Angel will grow old and wicked looking?

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES - could it have been some sort of mentalist prediction? Only time will tell.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Yes, I think we should wait for his explanation. Maybe we will find that it's Derren who took everything from him? No one can know for sure.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Smile

LOL

that is funny...

I know for sure...

It's a talent I have...
xxx
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
In the emails that were sent to me by Grey asking me to contact Brown on his behalf, Grey offered excuses which seemed to me unacceptable and disingenuous.

As they were part of private correspondence, I can't in good conscience share them here.

- entity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is Grey the New Brown? (It's not for lack of trying) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL