The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Tempo... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
I LOVE storytelling, I honestly do.
But one time, I had to perform together with a bunch of magicians who did fast-paced magic, big illusions or dangerous magic. I'm afraid that people just aren't in the mood for stories in such situations.
Isn't it so that storytelling magic only works for people who already are willing to hear stories and not for people who come to see a magic show ?
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Hi Rosemary

I think context(here, as everywhere) is the key. In the performing situation you were in you're probably correct, a long story would have seemd out of place. (although it would have certainly added some variety)

However, it's not been my experience that people will only listen to stories who are already willing to listen to them. I'll often include a storytelling piece in the midst of a more "traditional" set, and for me it plays strong. Storytelling as people like Eugene Burger have pointed out, can add variety and texture to our magic, which is a worthwhile goal for any magician.

As an example, people bought tickets to Ricky Jay's show expecting to see a magic show(which they got) but also an evening full of wonderfull stories. So storytelling magic can work extremely well. In the right context

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Tempo... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL