The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri Geller search for a successor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Do any of you, outside of Israel, watch this high rated TV program (over 30%)?
It is very big in Israel. What do you think about it?
Do you like the idea of 9 professional mentalists compete to win this title?
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Hi Roei, I'm from Israel but just wanted to say you were the best one on the show in my opinion. Too bad you didn't last that long. There have been many discussions about this show if you want to search it, but you brought up a very interesting question.

I think it's a very new and cool idea to do a reality show about magicians this way, as it brings a lot of attention to the viewers. Just too bad it has never been advertised as a regular "magic show", but more like people with powers that are looking to become the new Uri Geller. And you probably already know some of them problems that it has caused.

It would be great to have a show like this again in the future, just this time described as a regular magic show and nothing more than that.

Best of luck.
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Thanks for your sincere response.
It is a VERY good question. Should the mentalists at that show have to claim they are magicians or not? Wouldn't it have spoil the fun and mystery if they did?
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
169 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
Would love to watch the show but don't understand hebrew- for those of you in Israel can you please let us know who is left? Has a successor been named?
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Davy, I think next week is the final show. The ones left: Amir Lustig, Ehud Segev and Lior Sushard.

Roei, I don't think they have to really claim they are magicians during the show, but of course that that they shouldn't hint about powers that they don't have, especially in interviews and promos. Not just that it's against the code of ethics here in Israel, but it makes the audience feel a bit cheated when they find the truth. It's perfectly alright to create mystery and all that, but never to take it too far.

I know that outside the show you don't claim about things like that, and I think I even read that you don't believe in the supernatural, but it's too bad the producers made the magicians claim that during the show itself. As you already know, it caused a lot of magic exposure in the media, complaints from the audience and so on. At least it's good to see the show has learned a little in the last 2 weeks, and says that it could all very well be just magic tricks. It's too bad they didn't do that since the beginning.

I'm sure you will agree with me that magic is a lot of fun and mysterious, even without claiming about things that are not true. It should be about the performance not the words behind it.

By the way, who do you think is going to win? I choose Lustig. Smile
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
169 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
Thanks for the update. Has there been any really different new original effects on the show so far or standard know material?
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Since my hebrew is a little rusty, no...
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Hi Roei,

Except the claim to supernatural already mentioned, I think the immense reliance on pre-show work was akin to shooting oneself in the foot (with nothing less than a 5.56 bullet!). When this is ultimately revealed, as it happened extensively in Guy Pines' program, all the program turns into a parody of itself. The average lay person who until yesterday believed that these were real mind readings (thanks to the hint to supernatural made by some of the participants) will feel completely cheated today, and dismiss everything as prearranged.

In the first few shows I had to convince people who asked me about it that there is nothing supernatural involved. Nowadays I have to convince them that it is not all prearranged.

Omid.

P.S. And the fact that Uri Geller couldn't use a simple magnet properly surely didn't help Smile
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Quote:
On 2007-01-13 19:02, davybabybrazil wrote:
Thanks for the update. Has there been any really different new original effects on the show so far or standard know material?

As far as I remember, there were some interesting twists on already existing concepts, but most of the effects were based on already known concepts. Amir Lustig did two effects which I think are not published (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. You are behind someone and ask him to make a body movement (raising hand, foot, etc). Standing behind the person, you predict the move in advance. Derren Brown has a somewhat similar effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClJLxsS1TY

Though I think the method Amir used was different.

2. Making someone fall backwards, apparently without touching him. I don't know if this has already been published, but I've seen Derren Brown doing it in Messiah.

And of course the most amazing effect was moving the compass in a novel way Smile
4cards
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of 4cards
Hello Roie
How did you feel when Uri said that you are bad?
how did you feel when you were told to go home?
3 times???
did it help your business?
do you charge more or less for the shows now?
I felt very sorry for you.
I think you made a mistake and I hope people will forget
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
As a rule I avoid all such "reality" [sic] shows, but in this case I'd be very interested to see the series.

Perhaps the Israeli network that aired it can add English subtitles or voice-over to it and market in the States?

Roie, what network did it appear on?
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
Its on Channel 2, and the producers are Keshet TV (www.keshet-tv.com).

Making someone fall backwards is not a new thing.

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
4cards: Uri didn't say I bad. I did not to go home 3 times.
In fact, Many people think My acts were great and it is not fair I didn't get to be at the finals.
Dude, relax with your 'trick questions' embedding negative presumptions.....

Participating that show was/is very good for business. I charge enough for my shows. I don't think I made a mistake taking part at the Uri Geller show.

The show is controversial but high rated and the biggest thing running at the Israeli TV for the last two months.

There are negative article at the national newspapers and major internet sites, but....it is every day. Every Day! No one got such national response.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I'd rather have a small response because of good things, rather than huge response because of negetive ones.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
And has that happened yet DJM?

And if so could you provide a link?

Or are you just pitching stones at a fellow doing better than you?

It sure looks that way to me.
(Heck you do not even have enough positives to fill out your profile).
Insert yellow ball with vacant smile

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
What are you talking about? I told him how I loved watching him at the show and how sad I was to see he had to leave so soon. That man has a great talent and I told him that in this thread. Isn't that something positive?!

The topic was not even about Roei but about the show in general. It has been getting very negetive reviews in the last few weeks, because of the way the producers chose to describe it. I'm not the only one here with the same view but almost all the people who watch the show, including famous magicians. I didn't write here negetive stuff, but telling the truth about the way the Israelis have felt about it. That's what the topic is all about.

If you don't like my opinions or the things I say, then fine. Just don't attack me about it this way. And I've been positive a lot of time on this board, you just choose to forget about it.

By the way, I don't appreciate the fact that you made it seem like I said something personal against Roei, when I wasn't even talking about him. As you can see in the beginning of the thread, I have a lot of respect for Roei.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
DJM, I was commenting on your post.

Sorry if you did not like the question.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I just didn't like you accousing me for "pitching stones" at someone that I said I have a lot of respect for. This discussion has nothing to do with Roei.

Do I have a link about myself? Not yet, because I'm just someone with passion for magic and mentalism. I'm afraid I'm not good enough to become a professional, but it is a dream of mine. And if I do become one, I hope there will be a regular magic show on TV so that I could appear there without getting bad feedback from everyone in the country.

Hope that answers your question.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Good answer.

But why no profile information?

J ack

H.O.A-X
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Thanks Jim

I didn't think people even read the profiles, but I added some stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri Geller search for a successor (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL