The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Magazines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
technojeff
View Profile
New user
Jeff Whiting
24 Posts

Profile of technojeff
I am interested in subscribing to a Magic magazine (Paper version). I am sure there are a few out there, can anyone tell me what magazines are worth subscribing to. Smile

I am interested in reviews, and close up magic. General articles. Smile

I have purchased all the Apocalypse books and I am stunned by the quality of the material that was presented in those magazines. Smile

I have just thought, there might also be some good NET based subscription magazines which are worth looking at.

Can you advise? Smile
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
There is a topic posted in 'The Good The Bad and The Garbage' that goes into whether Ichazod should subscribe to 'Magic' or 'Genii'! Smile

http://themagiccafe.com/archive1/viewtop......9&10

Check it out... Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Technojeff,
I don't know if you belong to the International Brotherhood of Magicians but it's worth thinking about, if only for the Linking Ring magazine (and not just because I write a column in it!).
Columnists Tom Craven, Tony Econ, Aldo Colombini, and myself lean heavily on close-up and the Parades (monthly trick section) has the equivalent of 40 typewritten pages of effects, edited by Jon Racherbaumer, again very heavy on close-up material.
It might be just what you are looking for.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
247 Posts

Profile of saglaser
Genii and Magic are both excellent magazines. If you have to choose one over the other, then it comes down primarily to a matter of taste. I'd hate to give up either one, but if I did, the one I'd keep would be Genii. The next guy might go the other way. If you can find copies of both, read them through and see which best appeals to you.

Peter is right, that you get a fine magazine plus membership in a fine organization by joining the IBM. If it's primarily the magazine you're looking for, that's the organization to join. The SAM is another wonderful organization and it's magazine is nothing to sneeze at, but it's probably the weakest of the four magazines mentioned here. Again, others may disagree.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sorry, I didn't mean to slight M-U-M,
the magazine of the Society of American Magicians. After all, I have material published there, too!
It's just that M-U-M may be a little more focused on cabaret and stage magic, while the Linking Ring is more closeup-oriented.
They are both excellent magazines and both organizations are worth joining.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com Smile
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
247 Posts

Profile of saglaser
If you're looking for trick material, both
M-U-M and Linking Ring are fine sources. But of the major magazines (and keep in mind that I've read only a couple of Linking Rings since I'm not an IBM member myself -- yet) I found M-U-M to be the most feel-good oriented and most diplomatic, which sometimes means less apt to look at some things deeply and discuss them "warts and all."

This is certainly not an absolute (as a letter of my own published in last month's edition attests) but merely a matter of gradations on the scale. And, admittedly, it is a very subjective judgement.

Thinking about it more, I'd be most apt to pick up M-U-M if I wanted to feel good about Magic, and most apt to pick up Genii if I wanted something to make me more thoughtful about magic.

Of course, I want to do both, so I read both.
And Magic, too Smile
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
How often is Genii published? My wife got me a subscription for Xmas and I haven't seen it yet. Smile
Yakworld.
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
247 Posts

Profile of saglaser
Genii is published monthly and comes out about the middle of the month. Some magazine subscription fulfillment companies have a lag so the first issue takes awhile to arrive, but then they catch you up fast and the rest follow right on time. I dunno if that's your problem or not as I don't have a subscription -- I use picking up a Genii as one more monthly excuse to stop by the magic shop Smile
funmagic
View Profile
New user
Patrick Cordier
29 Posts

Profile of funmagic
I agree with the comments of the previous contributers - ALL the magazines are good and I would suggest that you do what all other serious Magi do and subscribe to them all...if you only get one idea from them it's worth it.
haulboss007
View Profile
Regular user
Carlsbad, CA
103 Posts

Profile of haulboss007
I don't know if anyone has seen this magazine but I really enjoy Mr. Gadfly. It's for card handlers and it's pretty good.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
The Magic Menu is a great source of material for close-up, restaurant type work. It's a little expensive to subscribe to if you're impatient as it's now published quarterly (I believe). You can buy ten years worth of material in book form (two books) for a quite reasonable price.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1447 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Jeff,
The magazine I primarily want to recommend is
the "Linking Ring" and secondly "Genii" and last but not the least "Abracadabra" these are really good sources of information consecutively. Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd resurrect this post. As a newbie, I've been looking around for a mag (or two) to subscribe to and was wondering what the concensus was today. I even stumbled across a new one called "Street Magic" and was curious for any reviews on it as well as others.

Best to all,

Kevin
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Ok as a relative Newbie, I started with the Linking Ring; I would occasionally get issues of Magic & Genii. That was 3-4 years ago. I now get The Linking Ring, Mum, Magic, & Genii.

They all have their ups & downs but all in all are great resources. The only one I cannot recommend is Street Magic magazine. While I liked their article with Cyril in issue 1 and I missed issue 2 with Ms. Funovits (anyone have a spare issue?) I just don’t like their style and format.

Just my $.02
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
After reading the recent Zarrow Shuffle article in Genii, they've got my endorsement. The people there care deeply about crediting and history to the point that it's almost an academic text.

Now, another magazine might have taken all those pages and split it up to give you more tricks or methods for your money, so that might be a consideration against Genii.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
If you are into Family Entertainment Kidabra has a good magazine. You have to be a member to get it. Just like IBM for the Linking Ring. I think the group magazines have more content then ads. Magic and Genii tend to have a lot of ads of the new stuff, if you are into that. I still get both but I think I get more out of the group magazines.

B-Rad
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
For me NOW Genii is a Excellent Magazine but the Magic Magazine is Very good....if I have to choose one my money is on Genii...
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sometimes the best way to acquire the "feel" for publications is looking at stacks of them. Back issues come available in large quantities at times. The ads are dated but the content is usually rather universal.

Ask people in your local magic club to help you get access to periodicals. Many of us have to "make room" from time to time. You may be the solution to someone else's problem.

Then you'll know which publications meet your needs best. Your subscriptions will be based upon personal research solving your problems.

Good question!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
I was lucky enough to have a friend & fellow Magician give me 35years worth of old Linking Rings as his wife was making him clean up his magic stuff. Talk about some great stuff, and this is stuff that a lot of people have forgotten or passed by the wayside on their way to pick up the Trick/DVD of teh week from an online vendor.

Great Stuff All Around
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I like MUM and Magic.

The few Genii issues I looked at seemed more stage magic and magic history oriented - but it may have been just those issues...

Anyone know of any monthly net type magazines - or emags?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Magazines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL