The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What to wear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Hey-I'm not sure where else to post this...What do you all suggest me wearing for a show? Right now I wear all black and am looking into a performer's vest on ebay I found.

Let me know, Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hi Josh,

A vest is good. For kid shows you should think more bright colors, like a red shirt with a white vest, then black pants.

Don
Terry
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Terry
G-String and light coat of oil???

It works for me!!
duncan doughnut
View Profile

medway kent england
0 Posts

Profile of duncan doughnut
Hi!

I found waistcoats too hot. I like black trousers and short sleeve shirts.

I have my shirts made for me. Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Harry Potter, Bob the Builder...whatever the children are into, you get a shirt made to match. I have just had a "The Mask" shirt made for when I work 8 or 9 year old shows, --they love it! The shirts cost around £15 for the material.You need 3 meters and arund £25 to be made. I hope that is a help.
duncan
Mr A
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mr A
What kind of show are you going to be doing?
mcatalani
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of mcatalani
" G-String and light coat of oil??? It works for me!! "

I don't think I want to know where production items are stored for a body load!

Michael
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I wear leather, black t-shirts or shirt, and leather pants. As I perform predominantly for biker types, goth teens, and so on, it suits me.

Besides, I look like a dork in a tux!

Ben
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Somehow, darker tones like black work if you are into something more like mentalism & want an adult appearance.
I thanks Josh for bringing this up, because really reminds us conjurers that good dressing maketh the wizard! Smile
mrmental2003
View Profile
New user
USA
21 Posts

Profile of mrmental2003
I think that the way of dressing like geeky magicians is over!

Let's start keeping up with regular fashion trends. I think this is an important lesson that David Blaine taught us.

Look what he is wearing in his TV specials.
Believe it or not, that is one of the reasons he is so well liked by the public. He actually looks like a human, and not a geeky magician.

I understand that for a paying gig you want to stand out, but you are better off finding a stylish suit or top that fits the event- rather than a magic vest. Check out magazines like GQ or other magazines and copy their style of dress. You can find similar looks, and for reasonable prices, all over the place.

You don't find singers or comedians dressing up like out of style geeky characters, do you? Of course not, but for some reason we think this is cool in magic...well folks...it ain't!

It's up to the rest of the magic faternity to move forward and out of the dark ages of style and fashion, and with that will come the respect from the public.

Something to think about.

Chris Smile
MagicDiva
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
43 Posts

Profile of MagicDiva
It depends on what kind of performance you will be doing. I would wear all black, if I was doing stage magic. My idea would be to come out in a loose fitting suit, then undress into a skin tight outfit. But if I were just doing close-up, then I would just wear something casual. Smile
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Hey Josh,

I think it's more important to first define who you are as a performer - and then let your dress happen naturally as an expression of yourself.
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
Quote:
On 2003-01-15 04:17, duncan doughnut wrote:

You need 3 meters and arund £25 to be made. I hope that is a help.
duncan

3 meters? Either the material is half width or you have a hamfisted cutter. Generally 1.5 m per shirt of 60 in width is more than adequate even for the clinically obese.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mr. Mental writes: David Blaine "actually looks like a human and not a geeky magician."

Really?

This must be new then!
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
I agree with Chris. Too many magicians dress in a way that emulates an image of "what a magician looks like" that is, from a stylistic point of view, outdated and unimaginative. And that makes magic seem quite "unhip" to a generation weaned on MTV, punk rock, hiphop fashions, etc.

I agree that David Blaine in his early TV specials just dressing like a normal slob was actually a part of his attraction to the public -- ANYTHING to get away from the cliche of the tuxedo-clad magician (or for that matter, the Vegas-style jump suit look).

Again, it depends on what look you want to get across, and what your audience is -- dressing for a kid's birthday vs. dressing for a corporate dinner and so on.

But hey - it's entertainment - and America's a free country - take some liberties - come up with a distinctive look -- give folks something interesting to look at.

Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Apparently just about everyone posting here seems to think that anything EXCEPT what they wear is "geeky" or "a cliche" or "unimaginative".

Remember: You are unique -- just like everyone else!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am into the more conservative and darker colors. I figure out what the audience is wearing and dress as they do...or slightly more formal than them. If I am with kids, I wear my various cartoon shirts that I love and have (unless I am in formal garb).
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What to wear (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL