The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Honest opinions please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I thought I was watching David Roth!! LOL! Nice job on Roth's Wild Coin (I See Green.)
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I really enjoyed the Coins Thru table, but please tell me it uses gaffs!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Feher,
Your work on the videos were outstanding! I was very impressed at the way you work with your coins. The sleights were flawless.

I hope we can see more from you in the future. In the mean time, keep up the great magic.

Brian
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Thanks!!!!
You'll see more from me if you guys don't mind......
Just so everybody knows if I put up a vid for you to check out please don't be affaid to tell me that I need to work on something or you just didn't like it, if its the second part you just didn't like tell me why so I can think about it.
Be completely honest with me it will only make me better....... Trust me I won't get upset!!!

As for the coins thru table I did someone asked if I used a gaff the answer is No....lol sorry
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
772 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
No gaffs but 1 extra Smile (for the coins thru table). Very clever Feher. Outstanding, really. If YOU came up with this, hats off. I've never seen this done like that before.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
Wow! I'm impressed! Awsome coinwork. You seem to be very confident, and your sleight of hand is just phenomenal. The I See Green trick especially. Also, that Coins Through Table effect is great, and I'm suprised that there is no gimmick involved. Congrats on such great videos! Smile

Adam
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2952 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Looks terrific, very magical.
I j
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Coins Thru Table—Nicely done. I would recommend that you not make such a bit deal of showing both sides of your hands. If you get in the habit of doing that because you can then you’ll have a harder time learning to “hold and hide” because you’ll feel guilty. Let your hands be seen empty but don’t work so hard ‘proving’ that you’re clean. Think of it this way: if you were really doing magic you wouldn’t feel the need to prove anything would you?

I See Green—you sound a bit too much like David Roth, from whom I’m sure you learned the routine in this video. You do the routine well, but need to write something of your own to say…

Matrix—Lose the coin production. Unless you can explain why your right hand is following the card as it flips over (and you can’t tell them it’s because the trick won’t work if it doesn’t) you need to not do it that way. It’s just way too obvious where the coins are coming from. It’s not that you do it badly, it’s just a poor construction. The assembly is nice (though not any better than the original).

As for the assembly itself, there’s a bit too much heat on the right hand when you move the coin from fingertip rest to CP. Again, this isn’t because you do it badly, just that it’s a bad moment to have to palm. Since you are waving both hands as a magical gesture I would suggest that you move the coin into CP under cover of the left hand waving over the right. In other words, cross the hands twice, first with the left hand shading the right as the coins his moved and the right mimicking that (shading the left) after the coin is secure. The old “larger motion hides the smaller motion” gambit…

1,2,3,4 – This still needs some work on the handling. When you table the card that is used to vanish the coin do so at the same moment you reveal where the coin has appeared. That way there won’t be anyone looking at the card that is being tabled, which no matter how you well you do it doesn’t look like you’re just placing a card on the table… Lifting the other card will direction attention (which is WAY better than misdirecting attention) away from the awkward moment.

Triple Change—Another nicely handled routine. You’re big David Roth fan I see. Two minor suggestions: when you use the curled left fingers to “allow the hand to be seen empty” try to not have the fingers look so cramped. You can do this by curling the fourth finger a bit more and NOT curling the first finger so much. This will give the hand a less “symmetrical” and unnatural appearance. Or you could simply omit that display, as it doesn’t add much and isn’t really necessary because Roth’s construction is so solid.

Chink-a-Chanky—very nice. Most of the coin assemblies I see online just plain suck either because they’re badly done, or because the person who constructed them just doesn’t understand the effect and it too caught up in method. This version looks good and isn’t overly complex visually.

I have to say that most of the time I leave MVD after watching two or three videos, because most of what I see online is just plain painful to watch. But, as you can see I watched all six videos and enjoyed each one. A couple are very good.

I would recommend that you devote the next year to working on your presentational skills and to polishing these routines by looking at how to better shade the moment when something happens (as in my comments about moving the coin to CP during the Matrix style assembly). Darwin Ortiz has a new book on presentation which come highly recommended. You should also check out his book Strong Magic, and Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms.

You’ve come a long way in a short time. Congratulations.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Wsduncan
Holy moly thanks a bunch for the tips and comments. You spent some time....I will go thru and see what you are talking about. My CP is almost there I do know what your talking about. Need to look at some timeing issues, take out moves that don't add or take away. I know about the Roth thing and my style that's my goal for the year....lol Work on presentation.
ok got it.
Thanks
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Now that's a great critique!
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I assume you are talking about wsduncan's critique rutabaga and you sure got that right! I wish I had the ability to do that, but right about now I can just express if I think it looks good or not basically. However, if I ever need a critique I want wsduncan to do it, he does make very valid points and he has a good eye.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
ilusionista
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of ilusionista
I thought all the vid’s looked great. I do see the patter as somewhat instructional and repetitive but can’t wait to see your future releases as you work on your presentation style. And I loved the little helping hand in Chink-a-Chankey.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Tim,
There is nothing wrong with your technique on the Classic Palm. The difference between an expert and an artist is that the artist knows not just how but when… Change the moment by a split second and shade it a bit more and no one will suspect, let alone detect (as a famous card guy once wrote…).

Best,
bill
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
153 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Hi Feher

Though the links don't work anymore, I watched some f your video's on the magic depot. I was awed. As a beginner I am still waiting for my copy of Bobo to arrive in the mail, but at least I can see what I should aim for. Thank you for your video's

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Honest opinions please (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL