The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » TT's Exposed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Almost unnecessary to second Bob.

Check out this one as well . . .

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&36
Cards never lie
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Randi, I used to work in a magic store in Denver and we would have the occasional redneck guy ask for the same exact thing and call the silk a "rag" too! Ha! I would always look at them like they were crazy and tell them that I had no idea what they were talking about. Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Well, one thing I do when I'm using a TT in my routine is I always give "2 Thumbs Up" when I get the okay to perform. It's a little subtlety, but it goes a long way. It also sounds corny, but when you joke it off, the audience can be quite amused and it's a good way to start them off laughing. Try it.

Best,
Steve
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
That's funny Morning Star.
It's amazing how many rednecks there are doing the rag trick.

Randi
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The first Santa Claus I remember had pointed boots. (We lived in Dallas, Texas.)

Can you imagine the problems the cowboy had in the US Navy when he saw "rope" and they called it "line"? To a real cowboy, the term "line" never means "rope". "Line" can mean riding down a fence, riding around water sources, traveling (line out), or a lie someone repeats. Can you see Garth Brooks singing "Line the Moon" or Johnny Cash singing "I Walk the Rope"?

In the magic silk business, Harold Rice and Peter White are artists. They do/did things to beautify silk I'll never be able do. Since 1969 I've been the importer. Therefore, I jokingly refer to myself as the "ragman" amoung "artists". Actually a neighbor who also had a business at the Atlanta Merchandise/Apparel Mart introduced me to the term "Ragman". There it applies to people in the garment business. Perhaps cowboy magic with silk fits too!

Instead of "Presto!" just say "Yee Hah!". And the rag'll be plum gone! Then you can produce it from behind your belt buckle. Yep! it's majjeck!

Cowboy Bob

Bubba Whodini lives!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I have always thought that working at a mainstream magic shop must be such a nightmare for someone who really loves magic. It is a very strange premise to start with and watching play out between the worker behind the counter and the (not quite) layperson is truly strange and absurdly funny.
I feel your pain(s).

On the TT issue; here is the thing...don’t do the effect like Ben Stiller in the movie. Not even if you don't leave the tail hanging out. Be more subtle, more crafty, perhaps some timing between the steal and the reveal. All of these things can "re-arm" a very useful weapon.

I used to work "Boo at the Zoo" every year in Fort Worth and always did a TT based rabbit from hat (silk pictures) for the little girls. Many kids were onto the TT idea but by breaking up the "take" and the "leave" from the reveal, it worked well and greatly fooled them! Good luck!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Isn't it amazing, Randi? Not to mention: Being a lady in a magic shop with almost all male clientele is quite an adventure, to say the least.

"Alabama" Bob Sanders is showing his true accent! Except for the fact that Bob has far too much class to really BE that way! Plum funny, Bob!

Good advice, UFO. It is always good to let unfortunate public exposures stimulate our brains to find new ways of presenting an old effect.

When I see exposures I get mad and disgusted, but I don't waste energy worrying about them. It is difficult, but what's done is done. In time people truly will forget. I spend all that "angry energy" working on new methods of presentation. Otherwise, I expend a lot of useful energy on something that I cannot do much about. A bell cannot be un-rung.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Being a lady in a magic shop was an adventure, a horrible one at times.

I am so glad I quit.
Ever since I left I have had more shows, more ideas, met more people, and enjoyed life so much more.
Working at a magic store was draining.
You get so caught up in the garbage magic that is on the shelves.
You forget what you actually like about magic.

As for being female...
There were guys that would walk out and not let me help them.
Of course, these people were idiots and no one really cared.
It's not like they bought anything any way.
Also...
Guys were degrading to you.
Not all, but some.

UFO...
"Boo at the Zoo"... awesome.
I bet we know a lot of the same people.
The magic shop I used to work at was “Magic etc.”
I won't say anything good about that store, because I quit over bad blood.
I don't like the owner.
If you ever get the chance...
A group of magicians meet at Bennigans, on 360 by Six Flags, every Monday night around 8pm.
It's not IBM or SAM; it's just a group.
You should come by some time if you are in town.

As for TT's,
I still think you can use them successfully.
I don't use them though.
But it does remind me of something.
Once when I was doing either cups and balls or linking rings, can't remember.
But someone said to me...
"I know how one version of that trick works, but not what you just did."
He actually did know. I just did it in a way he has never seen, or better than he has seen before.
This could easily apply to TT's.

Randi
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Randi,
Thanks for the invite! If my schedule and the moon unit phases ever all work out in perfect harmony-I will try to drop in! I do know your former shop and boss. Good luck in all your new endeavors!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:46, David Bond wrote:
My wife bought me a TT but every time I wear it, it lights up! Smile

That isn't a regular TT, that's a D-Light TT, if you press down on it hard, it will light up.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 21:57, Dougini wrote:
I guess not everyone has seen Penn & Teller or "Night At The Museum".
Doug

Penn & Teller, Night at the Musuem.... There must be a connection there!
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Gee, what a discussion... It is so easy to substitute the TT for a Dye Tube. Different handling same effect and no TT's...
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
Like Bob Sanders said near the beginning of this thread, there are multiple methods for vanishing a silk. And like RandiRain said, the TT has been exposed time and time again. I think it's safe to assume that Night at the Museum doesn't pose much threat. It will blow over like all the other exposures. For now, use a pull, hank ball, dye tube, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » TT's Exposed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL