The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snooker Shell - Where to Find? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

coppertop103
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
26 Posts

Profile of coppertop103
So I want to create a billiard manipulation act. I've got "Now You See It, Now You Don't" by Bill Tarr as well as McBride videos. From what I've read on this board, this is plenty to start... so now for my questions...

-I want to use snooker balls (I was looking at 1.75 inch balls) and would like to know where to find a shell. The reason I'm looking at snooker balls is these are the cheapest balls I can find. I'm a college student (poor) so I doubt I can spring for fakini's and I really don't like the look of the Vernet balls.
-If finding a shell is not viable, is there any advice out there for making a shell? I imagine this to be a real pain, if not impossible for me to do, but I may as well ask. Also, has anyone had success with a multi-ball routine using no shell at all?
-Last, but not least, I'm looking for ideas on the routine itself. I know manipulation is usually set to music, but I was hoping to come up with something involving a story of some sort.

Ok, Café community, any ideas? I appreciate any and all advice... thanks!

-Trevor
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Try to find, maybe on ebay a set of wooden multiplying billiard balls, then you can paint them to look like snooker balls.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Lewis Ganson's Book "Routined Manipulations - Book 2" describes how to do a billiard ball act without a shell, all by pure sleight of hand. It's a lot of work to master, but you'll have a routine that can't be done by every kid with a magic set.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
I have been really cheap about buying the fakinis. I have been useing the vernet, painted wooden balls, and small dog balls. Two weeks ago I finally made the plunge and ordered a set of fakinis, not really expecting much.

I have not been with out in in my hand for two weeks. I hopped on line and ordered spares and different colors. They rule.

My guitar teacher said if you want to learn guitar, the first thing to do is buy yourself a guitar that will inspire you and make you want to play it.

I have been off and on working on a billard ball set for a year. In the past two weeks I have made more progress than the whole last year combined. I vote - just buy one ball and see how it works for you. You can add more slowly as you go.

Walk In Peace,

Sensei Strange
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
I can't remember exactly where we found the samples but there is a style of thermoplastic sheet that can be put into boiling water (we had about an inch & a half in an electric skillet) and shaped while soft. Kind of like a poor man's vacu-forming. You could get the thinnest sheet made, heat it and "over-press" one of the balls into the sheet, then cut around the hemisphere of the ball to get the shell. You'd obviously have to paint it when done. If you're interested let me know and I'll try to find who we got those from. Might take a day or two, it's been several years.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Try going to your nearest art and handicraft store and get some materials that can be shaped to form the shell. There are several types of materials that can do that.
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Why don't you just buy the old wooden sets if your short for money they don't cost much maybe 30 dollars. However I do reccomend buying fakinis they are what I started with and what ill end with they are the best.

Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snooker Shell - Where to Find? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL