The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » In Closing Steal and Beijing Coins Across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Just reviewing POS2 and learning Beijing Coins Across when I read Curtis' Dangerous Notions notes and read about the "In Closing Steal".
This is a nice exchange, utility move, but I wasn't sure if anyone (Curtis?) applies it to the original routine with the 3 Chinese coins held out in fp? I can see how I'd be able to do the REG under a stack that were already in FP (ie if you hadn't done the Downs to FP transfer early on).
Or do you just do the Beijing CA as is?

Help would be appreciated

Shanester

PS those with the notes and DVD will understand the abbreviations. Sorry to those who don't
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
IF you do not want to use that move which I believe is a Gary Kurtz move,i use it a lot, it is a wonderful move; you can start the whole routine with the coins in DP,in Curtis routine, Curtis does it to show both hands empty; I hope that is what you mean.

Mano.
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
I am a huge Curtis Kam fan, love all his material and especially the Beijing Coins Across....such a great routine. The only move that for me seems questionable is the transfer of the silver coins after the first change to chinese. Maybe I need to provide more misdirection, b/c it always seems that the silver coins talk to much in that exchange. Maybe, Curtis could shed some light on a possible change for that transfer. I don't think the move you're talking about could solve this.

Not to change the direction of this post, and hopefuly Curtis could give us some info.. Palms of Steel 4, 5, 6....anytime soon!!!

Michael
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
As luck would have it, I'm a huge Curtis Kam. It's nice to hear from a fan. Thanks, Michael.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I've been lurking a bit to see if anyone had any tips. I'm always open to good ideas. Here's what I got:

Michael, the noise on that transfer is a consideration only in very quiet settings. I place the coins really, instead of dropping them. As your hands come together, you'll find the fingertips of the receiving hand can contact the incoming coins directly. It's not a clean fingertip to fingertip transfer, but that's okay. There should be a pause here for applause. (sometimes you have to wait for it, the audience is usually stunned for a moment) To cue that applause, or just to give the routine some punctuation, your hands come together in a rest position. The transfer of the coins is nothing more than an "accident" that happened because your hands came together, and then separated.

Alternatively, you could just learn to do the rest of the sequences left-handed. That's tough if you already do it right handed, but if you're learning it for the first time, you could just learn it that way, and eliminate the transfer.

There are a number of changeovers that would deliver the coins silently and directly into position, but either of the above work for me, so I've never bothered.

Shane, thank you for reading and trying "In Closing". I do use it for this. I've found that the best thing to do is to do the steal as written, with the coin going into EG. The coins in FP don't interfere, and they shouldn't for you, either, unless the coins you're using are really large compared to your hands. That's one of the benefits of using only your third finger to do the gripping in a FP, it leaves your second finger free for EG fun. (as Kainoa would say)

Again alternatively, as you said, you could just leave the CC's in Downs palm for this, and transfer them to FP later. At that point, you'll have two visible coins in your hand, so any small amount of noise caused by the transfer is covered. But there really doesn't have to be any noise.

Oh, as to "anytime soon" all I can say is "anytime" is accurate, "soon" maybe not so much. The last estimate I heard for Palms 4 was November 2006.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Good tips Curtis, thanks.
I guess I just need to keep working. It's a tough routine and one that I've set myself as a challenge. I think it'll be worth it!

All the best

Shane
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
You know....if Curtis were to come to Las Vegas for the WMS, there might be a chance to get some sort of material to his loyal fans before the end of 2007. Smile I was in New York this weekend and people were asking things like "so is Curtis still doing magic?" I tell them he's not to create more of a mystique. Hey, that's another Las Vegas reference.

I wasn't a fan of the inclosing steal originally, but Curt has got some fun stuff with it, as do a few other people (like Joe Cole, whose application to copper/silver material is very cool). It's a pretty move and well worth applying it to everything and anything.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I just purchased POS 2 and watched it......WOW! I think my favorite routine is the Beijing Coins Across, I add the the sequence that kainoa taught in COE and ive done some of the ideas he briefly describe for the coins across phase using edge grip. I am also very upset at curtis and kainoa because now I want to get all the material they have published,and I will be adding a review soon. by the way curtis, the other day I just found out that my good friend richard bartram is the one who illustrated Deceptions in Paradise.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Wow, how is Richard? I've enjoyed his work for years, but even when he illustrated the book, we never got to meet in person. I have always wanted to thank him for taking on that job. I thought about the moves on the "Deceptions in Paradise" tape, and decided I would never be able to get the message across in still pictures. To his credit, I have met people who do those moves well, and they learned them from the book.

I'm happy to hear you like the material. I've got a brand new and improved version of the Tianamen Square routine that's very scary. With any luck, I'll be showing it around later this year at some of the conventions. Kainoa and I also have a joint project in the works. But there's really not all that much out from us yet, so there's still time to get it all. Smile

Just remember, the harder the material is, the longer the DVD's and books will be useful to you. It's not an expense, it's an investment.

I'm looking forward to the review.

Aloha,

Curtis
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » In Closing Steal and Beijing Coins Across (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL