The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mental Chess Players (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Hey, that's what google is for, to make us all look like we know something Smile

This is a slow game, I've downed a whole pot of green tea, and nobody has moved.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think that we should play an agressive version of the Perc defence...anyone else?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Sorry Slim, Dragon or Nimzo-Indian for me. Don't go for the draw, go for the win. Smile

I enjoy chess myself, although I play for fun.

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 20:18, MoritaNaoki wrote:
I used to play a bit of chess every now and then: but I'm still not able to bear my father.

Instead, I prefer to term myself a grandmaster. Of noughts and crosses / tic tac toe.

Did you say grandmaster? PM me when you want to play.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
WOW
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I used to play a version of the Dragon....that's what I meant by an agressive Perc. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

The Pirc to me, with the early g6 tends to lead more towards a draw than a win. I've never really spent a lot of time analyzing the Pirc opening though.

Maybe Omid will lend his analysis to this. Smile

Anyone else notice that Corona keeps taking teh middle square? I think he is looking for a game.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This hyper modern fiencheto (sp) of both Bishops will lead Corona to a false sense of strenght and enpowerment. The counter attack will be surprisingly efficient Smile He will lose the exchange and slowly the tide will tell the story.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Coming from an International Grandmaster I can tell you that you guys have no idea what you are talking about.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
It's "fianchetto", which is Italian for "fix", such as when you attach a bayonet to the end of a rifle.

A double finachetto is too slow...it allows white to build a space advantage and squeeze the life out of the position and force a breakthrough on the wing black is forced to neglect because he doesn't have room to maneuver. Trust me.

Curt
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Curt:

They are playing Tic-Tac-Toe

:)

Tony
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
So am I. Smile

Curt
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 23:58, cfrye wrote:
It's "fianchetto", which is Italian for "fix", such as when you attach a bayonet to the end of a rifle.

I believe that "fianchetto" is a diminutive of "flank"; that is, it is "little flank" position. I've never heard of the connection to the bayonet. Are you sure?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 22:55, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The Pirc to me, with the early g6 tends to lead more towards a draw than a win. I've never really spent a lot of time analyzing the Pirc opening though.

Maybe Omid will lend his analysis to this. Smile

You asked for it Tony Smile

The Pirc looks to me like the kind of post-modern experimental rock music that can drive you bananas. With black, I prefer the more civilized King's Indian (even though to a Nimzo-Indian player like you even that might sound too unorthodox!).

And regarding the "drawishness" of the openings:

Nimzo-Indian:
40710 game(s):
14126 white win(s)
11560 black win(s)
14980 draw(s)
White score: 53.1%
draw: 36.8%

King's Indian:
81525 game(s):
34198 white win(s)
22636 black win(s)
24604 draw(s)
White score: 57.0%
draw: 30.1%

Pirc:
30615 game(s):
12687 white win(s)
8970 black win(s)
8924 draw(s)
White score: 56.0%
draw: 29.1%

Tony, your opening seems to be the most draw oriented Smile

And against e4, I have played Sicilian in every single tournament match in my life. Mostly Scheveningen instead of Dragon. Some stats there:

Dragon:
4637 game(s):
1756 white win(s)
1435 black win(s)
1436 draw(s)
White score: 53.4%
draw: 30.9%

Scheveningen:
7081 game(s):
2815 white win(s)
2252 black win(s)
1998 draw(s)
White score: 53.9%
draw: 28.2%
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
And speaking of chess and mentalism, I'm still convinced that contrary to what he was claiming, Derren did cheat against the 9th player in his simultaneous exhibition (my guess is that he received the moves via an earpiece). More on that:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1610
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
I used to play chess alot. Unfortunately I stopped at 15 and moved of to other hobbies including magic . I now use the World Chess Network server to play and have a rating there of 2300++ . Unfortunately I do not hold a FIDE rating . Some of the people who started out with me during my childhood , turned out to be some of the best chess players in the country . Fide Masters , National Masters and even International Masters titles were taken up by them . The highest rated player in my country is rated at 2400++ . There is currently no Grandmasters yet , and we are eyeing for one very soon . I've played with GM Ian Rogers from Australia , GM Nguyen Ah Dung from Vietnam and GM Rogelio from Philipines .....yeah , but all were simultaneous matches ....and I lost all 3...

1)g3 ... ?

-David
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 04:51, davidlai308 wrote:
1)g3 ... ?

1.g3? Nah Smile

2913 game(s):
1072 white win(s)
968 black win(s)
871 draw(s)
White score: 51.7%

Looking up the statistics of weird openings I came across something very weird:

1.f4
5045 game(s):
1790 white win(s)
2098 black win(s)
1156 draw(s)
White score: 46.9%

1.g4
209 game(s):
88 white win(s)
85 black win(s)
36 draw(s)
White score: 50.7%

Grob better than Bird?!? I would blame this illogical result on the low number of games with Grob opening, and so the low statistical confidence of the result.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Boy you guys can talk!

How about playing a little chess, my pawn is still on D4 and he's getting bored.
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
Haha Omid , I've never usen Grob or BIRD in any of my tournaments . It was always
1)Kf3 ( King's Indian )

To Corona

2)c5

I'm aiming for a Benko's Gambit here ...
Looks like there are many chess players among mentalist here ...
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 06:38, davidlai308 wrote:

To Corona

2)c5

3) pawn to D5.

Stick that in your Benoni Woozle!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mental Chess Players (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL