The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The most gothic places to travel (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
On the website http://www.gmx.net the editor posted - amongst other news - the most gothic places to travel. For him they are:
1. The castle of count Dracula near the transsylvanian city Bran (Romania)
2. The catacombes of Paris with a lot of old graves (France)
3. Stonehenge near Salisbury (England)
4. Room 100 in the Chelsea Hotel in New York (USA), Sid Vicious is supposed to have killed his girlfriend with a knife in this room
5. Blocksberg, a mountain in Thüringen, supposed to be the meetingplace of witches and the devil (Germany)
6. Loch Ness near Inverness (Scotland)
7. The Pyramides of Gizeh (Egypt)
8. The Tower of London (England)

The complete list with very nice pictures can be seen at:

http://www.gmx.net/de/themen/reise/aktue......6a4.html

Maybe this list of strange and gothic places can be enlarged to the joy of all lovers of storytelling magic.

Sincerely yours

Kai Abrell
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Something tells me that you'll love this site: http://www.simonmarsden.co.uk/
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Curator:

Yes, Simon's photographs are marvelous. I had his calendar last year and again this year.

Dave
Meng
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere in Germany I wrote
128 Posts

Profile of Meng
Let me add the Mont Saint-Michel to the list. A very mythical and inspiring place.
Unfortunately the Mont is a tourist magnet.
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Uluru and Kata Tjuta as well.
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
460 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Ah, I've been to number 1 - Castelul Bran, however it's link to Vlad Tepes Draculea is very slim. He was apparently a prisoner there for just one night.

It is a place that all Bizarrists should visit before they die (or afterwards).

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Thanks for the link Curator, Marsden's work is amazing. I have seen a calendar and a few of the postcards. Great stuff.

As Black Hart pointed out, the castle in question, Castle Bran, was not Dracula's castle, but does have some tenuous ties to old Vlad. It has been turned into a tourist attraction and from all I have heard, it is will worth visiting. For the rich and entrepreneurial bizarrist, it is my understanding that Bran Castle is currently on the market. Asking Price? $75,000,000 US. Any takers?

Dave
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
No.

We almost had a convention at Drak's castle. Kieth, any thoughts on revisiting that?

Tony
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
That would be so ****ing cool!!! Ahem. Pardon me.

J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Blocksberg is better known as the Brocken, which is the location of the Witches Sabbath on Walpurgisnacht in Faust I.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Quote:
On 2007-01-18 16:13, Bill Palmer wrote:
The Blocksberg is better known as the Brocken, which is the location of the Witches Sabbath on Walpurgisnacht in Faust I.

...and today, it was the stormiest place in Germany, winds up to 198 km/h.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
As my approach to those things Bizarre tends towards the things in nature, might I suggest that Yellowstone be added to the list of Gothic places to visit?
I know...It is rather touist infested.
It really is hell on earth however.
The smell of sulphur, the steaming heat rising from the earth, simmering pots of colored mud in a barren landscape, rumbling earth, pools of crystal blue water less than a foot accross and hundreds of feet deep boiling away...
Horrifying and beautiful at the same time.
You practically expect something horrible to climb from the depths and make itself right at home.
Other natural but bizarre locations...
Devil's Tower National Monument in Wyoming. Yes...It was featured in Close Encounters of the Third Kind as the meeting place for those touched by the aliens. There is a reason for that. To see it is to realize that something is not quite right with the world. It sould not exist. It sticks up out of the landscape like a wounded thumb.
Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico...Massive and disquieting cave system. You can't really understand the scale until you have been there. It leaves an impression that you can't quite shake. You have never heard silence so loudly, or seen darkness so profound.
And of course, there are the bats.
Every night, predictable as clockwork, there is a huge exodus of bats from the main cavern.
Hundreds of thousands of bats.
Just make sure that your mouth is closed when they fly overhead.

Also look for blue holes (Especially devotees of the C'thulu mythos!) I have been to two inland ones. You could easily throw a stone accross, but they are insanely deep. I dunno... They are just...odd. I haven't been to this one yet-
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/for......ic=45645
But I'd like to. Search on google or yahoo and take a look.
Any other "Natural" places to visit? Always looking for a road trip!
Gwyd
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
There is the Blue Hole in Dahab, Sinai, Egypt - one of the only 3 blue coral reefs... the Blue Hole is at least 100m deep - every month 2-3 people end up dead exploring it (mostly due to not being properly trained in diving (the ol' 10' in water by a semi-moronic guide - who also ends up dead a lot of the time)... I snorkeled over the area - very nice and mysterious. Good tales of the dead - or some kraken like beast down in the hole could work. Also, you have the Egyptian mystique on can draw on.

http://www.blueholeproject.com/

The Necropolis of Egypt is a nice creepy place as well.

Also, let us add Megiddo to the list in Israel - for Armageddon lovers.

http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/archaeology/megiddo/

There are also some freaky underground wells and tunnels under old Jerusalem.

Hmm.. thanks for starting this thread! I got some ideas to go play with....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Ooh...I forgot the Okeefenokee swamp.
Spanish moss hanging from the trees, the knees of the cyprus trees poking out of the water. Great reptiles slipping into the water without a sound. The incessant noise of the insects.
Extremely primeval.
If you go there...take a small unguided boat, one that keeps the edge of the boat a few inches above the surface of the water.
Just don't drag your fingers in the water.
I did it once.
It gathered some unwanted attention from something large and scaly. Not a gator, but a 5' gar pike.
Missed me by milimeters.
Fun place to visit eh?
Gwyd
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
460 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Tony

Yes, it was on the cards. It may be worth looking into again.

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
There is a Museum of Torture Instruments (I'm not sure of the exact name) in Milan, Italy. It is near the Technical Museum.

During a renovation of the Rathaus in Nuremberg, the workmen discovered a dungeon that had been sealed up several centuries ago when a new jail was built. It is especially interesting because the previous tenants just left everything in place.

There is an interesting museum associated with Festung Hohensalzburg in Salzburg, Austria. I think there is also a museum of torture in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany. (Rothenburg O.d.T. is not easy to reach by train.)
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I don't know how "Gothic" any of these are, but they are all places that I have visited that have inspired me toward dark and scary stories/routines.

Anasazi ruins in Utah Canyon Country

Necropolis of Grotticelli, Sicily

Temple of Poseidon (and nearby abandoned fishing village), Greece.

Shanghai tunnels under Portland, Oregon

Durty Nelly's pub and Bunratty Castle, Ireland. Not particularly creepy or mystical, bit I found it inspirational. Just sitting there made me want to tell stories.

And I have to second Gwyd's suggestion of Carlsbad caverns. I love it there.

Anyway, good thread. We can always use inspiration.

Dave
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Aside: In "HANNIBAL" - good ol' Lector visits the Museum of Torture Instruments with great glee
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Many years ago before it was opened to the public. My wife and I convinced a security guard in Edinburgh to let us wander around Mary Kings Close late after hours. It is a lost street hidden under modernization...quite remarkable. This street rode through the plague in the 1740's and little has changed. It was strange to descend deep to the basement of the City chambers, unlock an old door and there is a 17th Century street extending into the distance.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/about.htm
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
That reminds me of the "lost" underground section of old Seatle in "The Night Strangler"....

http://www.answers.com/topic/seattle-underground
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The most gothic places to travel (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL