The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magicians Wax (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Hi, I just went through my box of magic effects I don't use anymore (I bet you have a box or drawer like this too) and discovered a can of magicians wax I got with a Card on Ceiling trick I bought a few years ago. So now I wonder, what else can I use this wax for?

Jim
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am curious about Magic Wax.

I have seen a really hard wax that came with my one of my card tricks, and it works great. Now I have the Micheal Ammar Magic wax which is very soft wax. The MA wax is very messy when you apply it to a card, cannot rub it off without creating sticky smudges all over the place.

Should the wax be hard or soft? What wax does everyone recommend? Which Magic Wax is hard like the kind that came with my card trick. Could someone please help me out on this.

Many thanks
Keith
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
One of the applications with sticky magician wax is to use it to pick up a coin while you do a card trick. Somewhere here in the Café, I remember reading that Ed Mishell has a small booklet called "Wax Fax" if you want to learn all about the uses of magician's wax.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Thanks Evolve629! First hit on google shows this booklet for $7.50. I think I'll get it!

Thanks!

Jim
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
It depends what you are trying to stick to what.I have a tub of Michael Ammar's wax that is actually pretty hard. It may be that its just old, or possibly there are a "hard" and "soft" version available. That's why I like Brick & mortar shops, if you have a question like this, they can let you see what they have.
I have used some wax that you had to knead before you performed with it, because at room temp it was stiff but softened up with handling.
Way back in the past, magicians sometimes used something called diachylon the way they use wax now. it was a type of sticky putty. Oddly, it was used by plumbers as a putty and also by the medical profession as a sticky dressing. There's an entire section in Hugard's "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" on tricks using diachylon. (diachylon has pretty much gone away, mainly because the main ingredient was lead)
Apparently it could be dissolved and used as a sticky coating, as well as using it in solid form.
Some of the tricks in that section might appeal to you, modified for modern use.
When I want a soft wax, I don't buy it at magic shops, I get dental wax from the drug store (It's used to cover the sharp parts of orthodontic braces)
The putty that is sold for hanging posters, as "Blue Tack", "Fun Tack" or whatever, is also a good "stickum" for some purposes. .
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Thanks to both evolve629 and DStachowiak for the information. I just pulled out my new Triple Threat Wallet so I could get my credit card and order another book for my magic books library. Yep, just ordered Wax Fax and I hope it's a good book.

Hey DStachowiak, I once read in American Photo magazine that some jealous photographer would take patroleum jelly and smear it on another photographers lens. So everytime I think of Magician's Wax I always think of that story.

Thanks again
Keith
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
A number of card tricks use Wax - I remember that Elmsley also had some tricks utilizing wax to conceal a card . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Hey Don, interesting info on the diachylon.

In addition to some of the items already mentioned, I use wax to help me keep track of the ends of my I.T. and I.E.T., especially when stripping or tying loops.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Magiguy
Absolutely, I don'r know any quicker or easier way to rig any type of IT setup.
Remember way back before I.T., when the instructions for a trick often started out "Attach a ball of sticky wax to a long female hair..."
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I keep a small piece in a ball on the corner of my pocket handkerchief. Odd no one ever asked about it. It is really handy for coin tricks!

Try coin through the table this way.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Bob -

Are you sure that it's a ball of "wax"?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Quote:
On 2007-01-22 11:03, Stanyon wrote:
Bob -

Cheers! Smile

:rotf:
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-01-22 11:03, Stanyon wrote:
Bob -

Cheers! Smile

I'm a magician. You can take my word for it! LOL

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
I created a trick with wax (card through box with the card being HEARD in the box - I call it BOXED), but the only problem is that I don't have any magician's wax. Is there a cheap source of magician's wax? For some reason I remember soap as wax . . .
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Go to your nearest hardware store. A wax toilet bowl sealing ring costs less than $5 and will last you for years.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Dental wax for braces from the drustore is also cheap, and comes in a nifty hinged plastic box.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I vote with Dave on this one. A plumber's wax toilet ring will supply you and five of your closest friends for years. The Stuff is really good too! Gently warm it and pour it about 1/4" deep on foil and cut it into pieces you can easily store and use.

Borrow Stayon's handkerchief and put small ball of it on the corner then let him explain it! Don't touch it! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2007-01-20 11:48, Jim Salabim wrote:
Hi, I just went through my box of magic effects I don't use anymore (I bet you have a box or drawer like this too) and discovered a can of magicians wax I got with a Card on Ceiling trick I bought a few years ago. So now I wonder, what else can I use this wax for?

Jim

Most IT applications use wax for the hook-up.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I found a wax toilet ring that is less than two dollars. It is for trailers and campers. Try your Ace Hardware store.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magicians Wax (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL