The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tranishing Iron Clad Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Does anyone know if the bleach trick to tranish silver coins and give them a dark old apperance with bright highlights would work on coins like and Ike or non silver kennedy half?? If not what is a good fast way to make these coins look aged?? I know they will not look the same as the silver coins, but I have seen some really "dirty" coins that looks pretty good with all the contrast and detail caused by the high and low spots.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I searched google for "how to make coins look old" and one link is:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?......8AAmiL4o
Aim To Amaze
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Thanks, I didn't really find anything usefull when I searvched, but I'm going to do some tests and what kind of results I get.
-Stevie D
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Iron does not tarnish as such, it either turns orange with rust, or brown. A gun shop can sell you a bluing kit for repairing worn finishes. Other than that I remember an article in one of Lautard's books about 'browning' a gun barrel. If I remember correctly, boiling the rusted piece turned the rust brown and stable. You might try searching for ways to 'antique' or 'patina' metal.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What makes a cast iron pot black?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2007-01-22 12:11, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What makes a cast iron pot black?

Soot.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Cast Iron has a good deal of carbon in the metal, this is burnt out or reduced when making it into steel.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Cast Iron has a good deal of carbon in the metal, this is burnt out or reduced when making it into steel.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Cast Iron and Steel are not the same.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
More to the point, Ike Dollars and modern Kennedy Halves are not iron. I don't think I have seen any that naturally corroded, or for that matter discolored. Apparently the copper-nickel alloy they are clad in is extremely stable.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Quote:
On 2007-01-22 16:53, BSutter wrote:
Cast Iron and Steel are not the same.

Remove most of the carbon and you have steel. As far as iron in coins, I assumed the original poster was talking about non-USA coins.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
No, he specifically mentioned Ike dollars and clad Kennedy halfs. They are definitely an alloy, but I don't have an answer yet on how to "age" them.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I think the original poster was referring to what many call "clad" coins, and simply mistaken in calling them "iron clad".
He spoke specifically of Ikes and Kennedys, which would mean the standard cupro-nickel clad coins we carry around in our pockets, and which simply don't seem to tarnish the way the old silver coins did.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
I have never seen a non-silver half look anything worse than a little dull. The highlighting the poster was talking about might be done chemically, but I would just give them a wash with acrylic paint. The nickel-copper alloy they use is very stable and will resist tarnish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tranishing Iron Clad Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL