The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Vest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
I'm thinking of buying a vest. Any ideas on where to buy one? I want something casual that you can where with a nice pair of slacks. Any other info regarding sources for magic with vests (i.e. vesting) would be great!!

Thanks,
Bama Gambler
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I'm not sure about where to get one, but I wanted you to know that vesting and body shape have to be considered. I have a big belly and am not sure that I could vest (it may make the "dirty work" difficult for me). I also wanted to let you know about topits.
Although I have never used one, I have seen them in action and they ROCK !! Check with Michael Ammar on how to make one. I really think it would be worth it. Good luck!!
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Jay Scott Berry also makes awesome topits and does great work with them. He was showing me how he vanishes stuff with it and he had to show me 4 times because even when he was trying to "reveal" it to me I still missed it (maybe I need new glasses).

-Dan
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
Thanks for the replies!! I know what a topit is and I have the Ammar tapes, but I really wanted to lose the jacket and start wearning a vest. A vest is much cooler (temperature wise). I know Jim Pace wears a vest.

Bama Gambler
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Concerning a nice, casual vest - Most of the nicer department stores like Macy's carry lines that have vests. I've seen Claiborne and Kenneth Cole vests in Macy's that seem to be what you're after.

Ron Reid
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
Bama,
Now you're talking my language. I've been working on Vesting. It is a much subtler way to vanish small items. For me, I don't wear suits in everyday life but I can wear a vest and still look casual and do some amazing things. I had to search a lot to find them though. You can get Western cut ones at most of your Western Wear stores like Cavenders. The only other way I came across them is to buy a 3 piece suit. Private message me if you want to know some of my handlings. Keep me informed on what you come up with also. Leipzig mentions vesting in his book (used with Cigars from purse). By the way R Paul Wilson posted a coin routine on the Genii forum that used a vest also.
hope this helps,

Ronnie
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Ron Geoffries did a mini-lecture at our local SAM meeting on his vest and coat and the many pockets in them. He stated he bought material he wanted from a fabric shop in South Phila (lots of choices). Then took this to a local tailor who made him his vest with pockets inside and out. (I think 15.)

If you want a specific look and style, with lots of pockets, then you have no choice but to find a tailor to make one for you! All it requires you to do is open the phone book and call a couple tailors in your area.

To them it's a challenge. They tire of taking in, taking out... doing the same thing over and over. A "magic" vest is something different and it will excite him/her. Expect it to cost about $300.

Another area to check is your local tuxedo shop. The larger ones probably have more of a selection. I got a nice red vest for $40 but it had no pockets. While I was there the tailor told me of the local magicians who had sewn topits and hidden pockets, as well as dove pockets.

I ended up buying two full dress tuxedos for myself, one kid size for my Axtell rabbit, A Tux Jacket for my Giant Rabbit, and they did a lot of tailoring for my rabbit and rabbit outfit, similar to below:
Dennis Michael
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Bama, I believe you can get them from Bob James magic in Elmhurst, IL. I think they are special ordered and custom made for your body height and size. I have seen them and they look professional and are very well made. They have plenty of pockets sewn in and out. Not sure about the price but I believe they were in the area of $100 to $120.

Snidini
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For street workers I would think a photographer's vest (big camera shops) would be ideal... 15-20 various sized pockets.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
Do you think this vest would look professional?

Magician's Vest
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think it looks casual and would work great for strolling. I am thinking about one for myself now, thanks for the link Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
If you're looking for a vest and don't want to pay top dollar or buy a 3 piece suit just for the vest, check your local good will or salvation army stores. Sometimes I've found brand new clothes there, or at least very nice ones, and I've picked up a couple different vests there for just a few dollars, then a few more to have them drycleaned. It's worth a shot, you may find something that would fit you. Good luck!
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
If you're a large person (like myself) get one made for you. I have one that fits well, has extra hidden pockets and some extra magnets etc sewn into the vest.
Large people cannot use topits very well so I have a special pocket that does almost the same job but relies on misdirection, it looks like a natural habit of mine so I get away with it.
Vests are great, they can be casual or dressy and are very versatile for storing your tricks.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Thanks for the link for the Bob James' Vest. It looks good. I just got off of the phone with them. They custom make the vests at the time of the order. She described the pocket layout and variety to me, it sounds like a well thought out product. Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
If you have the type of vest with a cord in the back to tighten it and a good tailor available then you can also a a great pocket into the back of the vest. simply have the edge of the pocket covered by the cord across the back. You will be amazed how handy a large back pocket can be.

MAt
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Try Daytona Magic. They have many pockets, come in many patterns, and can add a topit or dove pocket for you. Best of all, they're well-made and sent very quickly. Good price too. I'm quite happy with mine!

http://daytonamagic.net/customer/index.c......tId=8287
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Men's Warehouse is where I buy all my suits, tuxedos, and vests. Try them.
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I second the Daytona Magic Vests, I have two of them; they're great! I had a topit added to one of them..
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Mark even appears to be wearing his Daytona magic vest in his avatar picture there! Hehe
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
ottomagic
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of ottomagic
Hey Bamagambler!
You might want to check out TUXGEAR.COM.
I just received a black bartending vest for $32, priority mailing included. It has 2 spacious interior pockets on both sides and 2 pockets in the front. That's 6 total pockets...I don't know how many you need but it is more than enough for me. I ordered it 3 days ago and it's already arrived. I'm very pleased with the vest...check it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Vest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL