The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whos going to the Super Bowl? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
February 06, 2007

Super Bowl helps Nevada sports books set near-record for wagering

ASSOCIATED PRESS

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Nevada's legal sports books made money on Super Bowl bets as gamblers made a near-record $93.1 million in wagers.

Figures released Tuesday by the state Gaming Control Board showed the state's 176 licensed books won $12.9 million - for a 13.9 win percentage - Sunday in the Indianapolis Colts' 29-17 victory over the Chicago Bears in the NFL title game.

The betting handle was just under the record $94.5 million set in 2006. Last year, the books won $8.8 million for a 9.3 percent winning percentage as Pittsburgh beat Seattle 21-10.

--
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If you crunch the numbers on the above, you get about $13 million more, out of $93.1 million total, that went on the Bears.

It works out to about $53 million won on Bears bets, and $40.1 million lost on Colts bets, although the figures are slightly distorted in not accounting for the 11-10 payout.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Lobo-

Very interesting. Are those figures strictly wagers on taking the Colts or Bears?

Does it include the over/under bets along with the teaser bets made on the Super Bowl?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2007-02-06 12:55, Vandy Grift wrote:
P.S. How could I ever forgive Moss? He wiped his ASS on the goalposts in Lambeau Field for Gods sake!

That was the funniest thing I have ever seen on a football field.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-02-07 13:47, Lambertmoon wrote:
Lobo-

Very interesting. Are those figures strictly wagers on taking the Colts or Bears?

Does it include the over/under bets along with the teaser bets made on the Super Bowl?

That's a good question, and I'm not 100% sure. It could be the total take. I have heard the books lost money on the prop bets. I assumed that release was just for the wagers on one side or the other. If it's a total take figure, then the disparity on the sides would be even greater, if my info on the prop bets is reliable, and it's a pretty good source.

Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
That makes sense.

I'm surprised the total take was a little less than last year.

I thought this one would generate more interest. Last year was pretty much the "Bus" and the Porter-Stevens war of words.
This year had a big market (Chicago) and the Peyton/Dungy quest.

Maybe the weather scared a lot of Indy action. It chopped my bet in half.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 13:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I have heard the books lost money on the prop bets.

I wonder how many people took Hester to return the opening kick for a TD. I think the odds were around 30-1 on that one. Can you imagine?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-07 14:41, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-06 12:55, Vandy Grift wrote:
P.S. How could I ever forgive Moss? He wiped his ASS on the goalposts in Lambeau Field for Gods sake!

That was the funniest thing I have ever seen on a football field.

If by "funny" you mean a complete punk play by a classless ***, yeah it was pretty "funny".

Now that I think about it, if the Packers do pick up Randy Moss I might have to do something "funny" like nail him in the head with a D cell battery.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Yeah...that would have been sweet. I have to work harder on that time machine.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I know it. It's funny to because one of those online handicappers was on the radio Friday before the game and mentioned that bet as being one that was a pretty good value. I wonder if he took his own advice.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
"That was the funniest thing I have ever seen on a football field."

If by "funny" you mean a complete punk play by a classless ***, yeah it was pretty "funny".

Now that I think about it, if the Packers do pick up Randy Moss I might have to do something "funny" like nail him in the head with a D cell battery.

No, I simply mean it was funny. Actually, it was hilarious. He was just giving back to the fans. ;^) And a lot more harmless than throwing a battery.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I know it Chessman.

I have never gone in for that kind of thing, I don't care if it's Terrell Owens dancing on the star in Dallas or Randy Moss or whatever. I prefer the classier celebrations. I don't think it was funny or cool, and that's not just because he did it against the Packers. That's my opinion.

I would never throw anything from the stands at a game in Lambeau. That's a great way to have your season tickets taken away from you. And there are 57,000 people on a waiting list that would be glad to have them.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Vandy,

Hey, a lot of people disagree with me that it was funny - just my sense of humor I guess.

I have heard that the fans at Lambeau are encouraged to let security know if certain fans are behaving poorly. How true is this? I know that you can do this at any stadium, but I have heard that they take it more seriously at Lambeau.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 17:44, Chessmann wrote:

I have heard that the fans at Lambeau are encouraged to let security know if certain fans are behaving poorly. How true is this? I know that you can do this at any stadium, but I have heard that they take it more seriously at Lambeau.

People are pretty serious about. And I'm glad. If some moron throws something or starts a fight, or is just obnoxiously drunk, people are pretty quick to point them out. It just makes for a nicer experience for everyone. People travel from all over the country and even the world to see a game at Lambeau, and the people of Green Bay and Milwaukee want them to enjoy themselves.

Now, if some loudmouth Bears fan gets clocked, chances are nobody saw anything. LOL!

But they will take season tickets away. That's no joke. And it dosen't matter if you gave your ticket to someone else and they get in trouble, they will take YOUR seats from YOU. So you even have to be careful who you give/sell your tickets to if your not going to the game.

It's not a bunch of tattle tales or snitches. The person has to cross the line, but if they do cross the line the other fans will stand up and get them tossed out of there. Nobody wants a great day ruined by some jerk. Lambeau is a Holy Shrine, it needs to be treated as such. LOL!
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Speaking of celebrations, I just finished reading a biography of Jim Brown. Very interesting read. He doesn't believe in celebrations for two reasons. One, if you make it to the endzone, act like you've been there before and that you'll be back again. Secondly, if you're wasting energy celebrating a first down catch, you're not using 100% of your effort in playing the game.

Now, I don't want Jim to find out, but I'm working on a little celebration dance this year for the draft when the Browns draft Adrian Peterson. The only bad thing about it is, that I have a softball double header to umpire that afternoon, so I hope the girls don't mind it when the base umpire does a double back flip in the middle of the 3rd inning of game two!

Actually, I do find a parent or parents that are listening to the draft, and I'll get updates between innings.
"Go Browns!"
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 18:32, mstick85 wrote:
Speaking of celebrations, I just finished reading a biography of Jim Brown. Very interesting read. He doesn't believe in celebrations for two reasons. One, if you make it to the endzone, act like you've been there before and that you'll be back again.

Didn't Barry Sanders also adhere to that standard?

I'm old-school when it comes to these celebrations too. I know times have changed and its considered "entertainment" but I consider it entertainment at someone elses expense. Just not classy.
The kids in Pop Warner work on doing "the cabbage patch" more than learning their play responsibility.

I would love the camera crew to treat it the same way they treat the morons who run onto the field. Don't show it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whos going to the Super Bowl? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL