The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dresden Files (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan Mindo
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
125 Posts

Profile of Dan Mindo
It looks as if they are going for hip and cool. I think it would play better if Dresden were a bit more brooding. It is a little too happy go lucky considering the subject matter. I will give it one more episode but I won't get my hopes up.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Read the novels by Jim Butcher to get a good handle on the character of Harry. He is supposed to be even more irreverent than he is on the show.

This is the problem with adapting material like this.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This is pretty toned down from the pilot that I saw.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Well, I watched the second episode. I thought it was a bit better, but as Dan said, the mood doesn't seem right. I'll give it one more chance...
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Watched the first episode when it was offered for free on iTunes. Haven't read the books, so I don't know how they compare, but the characters and dialogue in the show were flat and uninteresting to me. I think I've been spoiled by the Whedonverse. Even when the plot was thin on Buffy, Angel, or Firefly, the characters and dialogue were sharp as tacks.
Dan Mindo
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
125 Posts

Profile of Dan Mindo
Hey Tony, did you get a visit from the Fab Five?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Did you catch me on the show?
Dan Mindo
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
125 Posts

Profile of Dan Mindo
No, but I'm digging the new look! Did you have to cut up cheese cubes?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

No, just a wig, and a bowl on my head for the cut.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

The latest episode was better; we actually got to see some wizarding.
I'll have to remember that thing with the mirror.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Scrying with a mirror has a long history. There is an effect you might find useful in The Wizards' Journal #1 (on my site) from Eleazar Goodenough, when he was just six years old (with a lot of help writing it down from the "old man"). It's called "I Scry."

"The scryer demonstrates the art and science of scrying with mirror and ink. A plain inexpensive hand mirror is shown and allowed to be handled by the person who lost the object. The mirror is placed on the table. Then the scryer takes a bottle of black ink and with an eye-dropper, drops some ink on the mirror. The ink begins to form numbers and letters on the mirror as the scryer rocks it back and forth."

In Eleazar's plot, the letters and numbers identify a chosen Tarot Card which has been "lost" in the deck as an example. The ink could also form an image of a person's face, for example, or a lost object. If you already have or get the article and want to investigate those other possibilities, we can do so via a secret session on The Magic Nook Forum.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The Dresden Files starts in the UK this Wednesday evening (Sky One at 9).

Barry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dresden Files (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL