The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic Friday by Jamie D. Grant » » THE POWER OF POKER from John Bannon's book Dear Mr. Fantasy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Jan.19/07

Hello Everyone,

Long time, no read. I've finished my first three Magic Friday S.E.'s for Street Magic Magazine and, even though I'm starting to take on a much larger role with that publication, I'm always happy to come back to the Café!

What The Audience Sees:

"Okay, this week was nuts. Jamie showed me ten cards (face down) and told me I was going to pick a hand of poker for myself. Jamie would show me a couple of cards and I would pick one. This went on until we both had five cards. At the end I had a Full House. But get this, he had a Straight Flush! And I made every single decision. It was crazy!"

How It Went:

Wow, talk about a great effect. It also helps that I'm such a huge fan of poker. Self-working, easy magic at it's finest. John credits Dave Solomon as the creator of the effect and Dave came up with a killer. And the Magic Friday crowd ate it up. The only problems arose when someone had no idea of poker hands, but I think that only happened once, and even then, I was able to explain it before the finale.

Best Lines:

'Ohhhhhhhh. That I like. I like that. I like that a lot.' -I think he liked it.

'No,no,no,no,no. I made those choices. I want the Straight.' -well, you can't always get what you want, right?

Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how the effect is done... A high rating means he'll never figure it out.

'... ... ...That was pretty %$^$&&$ sweet.'- yeah, I know.

My Rating:

Going on my previous rating system of the highest marks going to standing walk around effects, I may have to unbelievably dock a point here. I suppose you could do it in someone's hands and, now that I'm writing it, I'm surprised I didn't try it. The only other problem is what I mentioned earlier of running across someone that doesn't know poker. But man, I love this effect! Let's say 8.75/10. I might even go higher but we'll leave it there for now. To be honest, Dear Mr. Fantasy, as a whole, is a 10/10 anyways.

The JDG Tip:

I think John has nicer spectators than I do, because whenever I let the person choose the last card face up, a couple tried to mess with me intentionally. In the end, I would turn the last two cards face up, ask the spectator to turn all of their cards face up, and say, "I'll even let you have the last card that best helps you". Thereby making the decision together.

Closing Thoughts:

You'll still be seeing me pop in and out of the Café from time to time. Even though SM is taking up a large part of my life, I'll always be grateful to Steve Brooks, and all my friends here, so you should still be seeing Magic Friday at least once a month. Take Care and...

HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

Jamie D. Grant
http://www.jamiedgrant.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic Friday by Jamie D. Grant » » THE POWER OF POKER from John Bannon's book Dear Mr. Fantasy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL