The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic At School (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Hello. I was wondering which effects I could perform at school to amaze my friends. I would do card effects, but I don't think cards are legal at my school (although a classmate had them today, and I did a few things with them). Here are conditions that I would like the effects to satisfy

-impromptu or requiring little preparation
-hard-hitting
-using objects found at a school.

Here's a small list of tricks I came up with
-TORN
-MindBender
-Coin vanish
-Mentalism

Do you have any other ideas? Thanks!!!
Batty
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Batty
I perform all of my tricks at school, so I can suggest a few practical things. If you don't mind fitting things into your pocket, sponge balls get my best reaction, followed by Color Monte (any person can see that they aren't the traditional cards. If anyone questions you just show them the trick). The Ring Things DVD has some nice stuff on it too where you only need a ring. I occasionally carry a samll chop cup with me in my pocket as well, and it usually gets good reactions. And if you want something that is extremely hard hitting, and own a vice or other means of bending a coin, bending pennies gets great reactions. Also, since I've established myself as a magician in my school, I can get away with carrying cards, and found that in free time, three card monte always gathers a group (not for money, of course), but I only use the basic three card monte move, and I let it go as more of a game than a magic trick, but many people enjoy it and it is a fun way to pass the time. And try a striking vanish witha a pencil. Also, "Stuck!" gets great reactions, and I use a routine developed using the coin through hand tricks from Bobo's and with Stuck as a finale. And remember, friends can be the worst audience, because they don't mind being casual near you and won't hesitate to grab a trick, so you should always use examinable tricks
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Becareful not to over do it. Remember we need education to read those magic books.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
A book or video about performing magic with ordinary objects and impromptu should be on your list.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
And near instant reset is pretty much a must. For some reasons people in school always ask for it to be done again.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Rubber bands might be good props … unless your school considers them "weapons."
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Check out the Greg Wilson videos "Off The Cuff" and "On the Spot" in particular learn re-cap, all you need is a pen and it's cap.
Aim To Amaze
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Also, use no gimmicks if at all possible. "Friends" love to be grabby with props... I TOTALLY second re-cap....
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Scotch and soda, dime and penny, coin bite, hot rod, killer keys, do a vanish with a TT. These are small props to carry in your pocket.
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
BodyMagic. Under the right conditions, you get great reactions. Plus, its impromptu, ungimmicked, and you can carry the prop everywhere Smile

I think James Coats has a DVD on this.
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I especially like On The Spot with Gregory Wilson!
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Profile of dodgechargerrt30
Lol batty that reminds me of a time I WASNT KNOWN AS A MAGICIAN and I was at school and all theese ppl were crowded at my desk and I had my money set up in my hand like Chef anton and I was doing the three card monte lol needless to say the teacher was wondering what we were doing and I got in some deep.....trouble

they wouldnt believe me when I said don't worry its only fun I'm a magician so I did a trick for them a simple trick I learned from E where I have a dup and place it then use a short card and tape and blah blah blah and the card disapeared and they sent me to the office and the teacher CALLED the office and said sorry it was a misunderstanding send him bakc to class because durring the lecture of the day she opened her graphing calculator to find none other than her choosen card....i remember the kids saying that the teacher said "holy SH**" when she saw it lmao

memories man memories

I'm working on next week getting a camcorder and taking a 50ft mouth coil into class and randomly getting up and starting it while a friend hides and tapes
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Thanks for the info! However, do you know any good mentalism effects I could do? I can do Stigmata with Advicus Novus. I'm also looking for some good effects with 1 coin. Stuck seems good. Do you have any other ideas?
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
On occation I'll preform at school. Tipically I cant find the time but when I do I usually coin vanishes and small stuff I can slip into my pocket on my way out in the morning. Another thing that I sometimes use is invisable thread and 'Loops'odveiously you cant see in and it can be used to levitate small objects like pens. It is really fast and easy to do and you'll still get a great reaction.
Ashley
Ashley Taggert
moving up in the world of magic
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Deck of cards and learn card on ceiling. Do it in the Caféteria. You'll be famous.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Definately card on ceiling. EVERYONE in school will know who you are.

I have had amazing reactions to Cavorting Coins (I think that is what it is called). Totally examinable before and after, and if you hold out 4 quarters you can add a great finish to the effect.

Scotch and soda for sure
I love holy moly and killer key for real close up and slow...
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
LEARN 4-coins across!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had the most reactions ever with this trick!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic At School (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL