We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » When NOT to do magic...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Are there time/ places where magic is not appropiate?
TheMagicalTurtle
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalTurtle
Funerals, in my opinion, would be a magic turnoff.

Jokes aside, there is a time and place for all entertainment. You have to know when not to pull out your linking rings and start a routine. Never start an effect, privately or otherwise, while another person is speaking or performing. It's extremely disrespectful.

If you're at a formal gathering, I think it to be appropriate to only do magic when invited. If you happen to be among people that you aren't familiar with, hinting to them during conversation about your "magical capabilities" would be a good way to get a show on the road.

Sticking to the old phrase 'there's a time and a place for everything' and using good ole' common sense can usually tell you when magic isn't appropriate.

Hope that helped.

The best,

Cameron
It is no sin to attempt and fail.
The only sin is to not make the attempt.
-Suellen Fried
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Don't perform magic if you're not supposed to be the center of attention. It might make the host jealous.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Quote:
On 2007-01-22 21:34, TheMagicalTurtle wrote:
Funerals, in my opinion, would be a magic turnoff.

Somebody's never seen a coffin sawed in half!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Great question.

I think there ARE times when it is not appropriate to perform magic. It would seem that inappropriate occasions would be obvious when you're in them. The mood, or reason for the gathering, is just not right.

As they say..."let your conscience be your guide."

Mark.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I'm actually glad someone brought this up because it IS important. There are many times when magic is not appropriate to be performed. In fact I find myself in situations where there are people asking/begging me to "show them a trick" because they know this is what I do, and I have to try to explain that it's not a good time/place for any number of reasons. Don't let people guilt you into peforming if it isn't the right time or place. As mrunge said, you'll know when it is or isn't a proper time to perform.
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Neither my wife nor my girlfriends like me to show cardtricks when we have... (well, I am quite sure you guess that...)
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 11:47, thoughtsexplorer wrote:
Neither my wife nor my girlfriends like me to show cardtricks when we have... (well, I am quite sure you guess that...)

You have a wife and girlfriends? That is a trick itself!
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Or very strong misdirection Smile
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 19:00, ToasterofDoom wrote:
Or very strong misdirection Smile

Who said this stuff wouldn't come in handy?
David Bond
View Profile
Regular user
Maple Valley, WA
107 Posts

Profile of David Bond
It is probably very strong delusion.

Why is it easier to see when the other person doing something at the wrong time than it is to see when you are doing it yourself? Or am I the only one for whom this is true?
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:

:rotf: Totally! I've actually been borderline assaulted by them for attempting to show my latest trick.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
689 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I knew a young magician who had that he performed at funerals on his business card, it was the funniest friggin' thing. "Birthdays, Weddings, Funerals, Corporate events..."

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I know plenty of girls who themselves have turned a trick or two in their time, police surveillance not withstanding. You should see their method for the disappearing $100 bill routine.
Maleficia
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, ON, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Maleficia
Quote:

I'm pretty sure they'd be more interested in your other "tricks" at that point. *lol*
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Quote:

On the other hand, picture this situation. You and yours are wearing nothing but an afterglow. One's significant other is playing with your ring hand casually and can see /feel that it is empty. Then one reaches out with that same hand and pulls out a large Chinese coin (1.5 inches high) from their ear. Done at just the right moment when the two of you are about to get up anyway, it can create a surreal little transition.

Ummmm.... entirely theoretical situation. Of course. Yeah, that's it.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
That would be a magical turn-off first grade . . .
Cards never lie
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
No matter where I go, I'm set...
but...
it's usually NOT a good idea to perform in stores that haven't hired you (department stores), in malls (security is tight), funerals (duh), your wedding night (just no cards...in theory...), at a sporting event during the game...unless hired to do so, in a school...unless hired..., basically don't just start performing where it could get you into trouble or upset someone. When people pay to see you, that's a whole 'nother animal.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
For scientologists...
Aim To Amaze
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
You also have to think about if a trick is going to work in the right places. If you are doing magic with a ITR for example, if you think the lighting conditions are not appropriate I wouldn’t risk performing, even if that is the only effect you have on you at the time.

This is just an example of another way of looking at the whole appropriate theme.

Hope that helps.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » When NOT to do magic...? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL