The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Vhs that erases itself (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I just got a little pilot audience survey thing in the mail I'm supposed to watch. The interesting thing that got my attention was that the vhs tape is specially made to erase itself as it plays. Wondered if anyone ever heard of this? Sounds interesting and seems like it might have potential for something!

Thoughts?
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
267 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
What in the world is a "vhs tape?" Smile
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
It is like a DVD but for indigenous people.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3269 Posts

Profile of magicmind
They had talked about rental DVD's that did this a few years back. Obviously it never caught on. VHS is old technology, but you could do a routine with the tape baing a family movie Smile
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
976 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
You can watch "VHS" on some sort of electromagnetic-imageregistration-device. That's what I heard
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I was thinking something along the lines of causing an old VHS tape to erase when you aren't there, maybe over the phone or something. Just got my mind working a little bit.
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
You can use your PK-Ring to erase these tapes, too.
Another effect to be performed with this gimmick.
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Is smoke coming out? I think I saw that on an old "Mission Impossible" rerun.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 12:37, magicmind wrote:
They had talked about rental DVD's that did this a few years back. Obviously it never caught on. VHS is old technology, but you could do a routine with the tape baing a family movie Smile

These weren't rental DVD's. They were DVD's that were sold for very low prices at retail outlets. The idea was that you could watch the DVD for a couple of days after you opened the package, then the contact with the oxygen in the air would cause them to darken, and they wouldn't play any more. About a year ago, our local Walgreen's store sold a bunch of these that were past the expiration date. They were good for one playing and then they were opaque.

The stores that sold them found that they had a much shorter shelf life than they needed to have.

Regarding a VHS tape that erases itself -- I can think of a way that could be done, but I think it would damage the player.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
The way this did it was a magnet on the right part of the reel so that after the tape passed the head of the VCR it passed the magnet. Someone took one apart. It's posted on a website somewhere.
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Uh oh...theres the secret....(waves goodbye to this thread Smile
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Ha ha! It's not an effect Arcane. It's something audience survey companies use to mail out copies of television programs to make sure they can only be watched once and are immediately destroyed.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 23:42, Jonathan wrote:
The way this did it was a magnet on the right part of the reel so that after the tape passed the head of the VCR it passed the magnet. Someone took one apart. It's posted on a website somewhere.

That could also magnetize the heads of the VCR. You would want to have that as far away from the heads as possible. That's precisely what I was referring to.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Ah! ok got it! hmm I don't think you would need a very powerful magnet if it was set to run right up against the tape. I imagine a fridge magnet would do it therefore the heads of a VCR would be alright.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You would be surprised how much damage a refrigerator magnet, especially one of those sheet rubber magnets can do to a tape head.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Vhs that erases itself (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL