The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Giberciere (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I'm going to be making myself a giberciere, however I have never seen one up close. Any Ideas or advice. as of now I have bin using a basket that hangs from my belt at about knee hight, I can ditch things ok, (I'm a juggler rember) but there is no way to steel anything out and it is not practical to hang it mutch higher.
I'm thinking of using lether as it would look good for the ren thing, but I am open to any Ideas.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I have always used a waiter's small bar apron (about 10 inches top to bottom and with four main pockets) in black nylon; but, then, I don't do any juggling so there is no real weight put in it.
For leather, you might check out a big hardware store for a leather carpenter's apron (same principle, just in leather); although it may not be big enough for what you want.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Poke,

What would be excellent is if someone would sell a pattern for a gib, the way Ammar (and another magish I don't remember) does for the toppit. (How's that for a hint to the giberciere makers?)

Until then, I found a cheap nail apron, the kind carpenters use, and I'm going to modify if from there and use it as a pattern. I found some imitation leather at a good price, i.e., cheap, so I won't be out much before I perfect it.

It kills me that when Cellini was in town I didn't study his more closely. (Sounds from KC of a head slamming into desk!).

Good luck, and have fun playing in the street.

Joe in KC
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Pokie,

My first question is what do you want to do with your gib? Do you want to hold all of your props? Do you want to use it to ditch? Are you going to load a cups routine from it? Maybe you want all of the above?

Gazzo’s is just a big, open, stiff leather bag. It is perfect for loading his cups routine but you really don’t use it for anything else. Cellini’s gib (Made by our own Eric Evans) is much more utilitarian. There is a thought for everything and a reason behind it. That is the best advice I could give you. These guys came up with pouches that were perfect for them. First we need to figure out what is perfect for you.

I’ve used both a waiter’s apron and a carpenters nail apron and both were quite serviceable for what I needed them for. Try one of those on for size and see if a leather one would suit you. One big bag usually works better than two pockets. The Cellini gib looks like two pockets but is really only one.

Hmmm…

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
I recently made my own, sturdy and a cheap. I went to Wal-Mart and got a plain canvas tote bag from the arts and crafts dept, ($2.97), needle and thread ($3.00), one of those 12" hoops that are used for sewing (.77). From there I cut the hoop a little less then in half and reinforce it by wrapping electical tape around it. I then cut the straps off of the tote bag and folded it inward with the semi circle thing in front. With the hoop thing in front it keeps the pouch open. I then sewed down the folded parts of the bag. I then cut two slits in the back for my belt to pass through and reiforced it by sewing the slits. And there you go. After doing that I notice the front side of the gib was too high so I cut the front about 2 1/2" and folded it in over the hoop. More comfortable to load from now. I am now in the process of putting pockets against the back of it to hold my balls, no pun intended. I hope this give you an idea.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I hope to keep my C&Bs in it and the loads, maby some odds and ends as I have no pockets now. my marbels, some coins, a rock or 2.
I have some lether about but I think it is beter to ask those who know befor I start cutting.
Prime use, cups and balls. after that...? Smile
It has to look the part, I do all my costumes so the look is important, to me anyway.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Do an archive search in the Café. There is some really good information here.

I made mine from some upholstery material I got from my upholsterer. He has an entire walk in closet that has odds and ends from old jobs. The cost was nothing. I am sure a good sized upholstery shop in your town would have the same.

The pattern I used was from Cellini's lecture notes with some modifications that I gleaned from the Café. The notes are pretty thin on detail, but you really don't need much as it is a very simple concept.

I have designated it my giberciere as Mark I as I know after using it I will be making modifications and someday a new one. Technically it is my second giberciere as I made up one out of scrap material first to see if it was the correct size etc.

You may want to consider hanging your Cups in a bag from your belt as they are pretty bulky.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
Thanks to Peter Marucci, I checked out this site http://www.tmyers.com/magic/magicindex.html and purchased my first gib. I got tired of waiting on the Gazzo Gib and this one is only 65$. The pattern is hard to understand on this website but it may give you ideas.

Here are some ideas
Two big pockets the top edges of which must be stiff enough to stay open (to clean up neatly&quickly)(this handy feature will change your magic), little loops of material to hold and also knock off TT's, someone mentioned secretly connecting the two pockets. Pockets in pockets. And card& coin sized pockets _behind_ the apron. Just to keep things(Pockets?) in perspective, remember Gazzo's final load.
Also (on the cadillac of fantasy Gib's)
a velcroed pocket for ID and large bills.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Giberciere (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL