We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fold Flat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
I am designing some plans for a substitution trunk, and I would like it to come apart. I have a set of plans here that have already been designed and that I am getting some ideas from. In the plans I am reading, it suggests hinges to allow the box to collapse for easy transport.

My question, then, is what type of hinge would be best, how do you hide it, and is it really practical? I was thinking that two loose pin hinges at every edge (inside) except for the three unconnected edges of the top of the box. That way, to take it apart, you remove the pins and it all falls to pieces.

It all seemed to make sense, but then I thought about what I would think if I saw hinges inside the box like that. I would probably explain the mysterious transposition as the magician having removed the pins from the hinges and traded places. This may be impractical, but audiences aren't exactly concerned about whether their ideas are practical or not.

Second, I could put the hinges on the outside, but that takes slightly more effort, and this is my first illusion. I don't exactly have a lot of tools.

Would hinges work, or would there be a better way that I could do this? Perhaps bolts? I'd rather not use bolts if I didn't have to, but if that's my only option then I guess I'll go with bolts, ha.

Thanks for your help,
Jared
Jared Brandt
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3405 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
One possibility would be to construct the sides and bottom using a mortise and tenon join, where the wood meets. The join could be bolstered by drilling through each piece, from the top and inserting steel rod down the length. All you would see is wood at each corner.

Just a thought!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
I appreciate the suggestion and I will jot it down in my list of things to remember, but I think it's a little too advanced for me... I looked it up on lowes.com and I'm pretty sure that I would screw something like that up royally.

Thanks, though!! Smile

- Jared
Jared Brandt
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I constructed one years ago that broke down. I used angle steel along the edges and the parts bolted together. It was not a really fast set up, but it worked better than hauling around a huge trunk. You can buy angle steel with holes all along the length. Cut the pieces to size, and use whichever holes you wish as a template for drilling through the wood. All the angle steel was on the inside. It could be used outside, but you'd likely need some that is wider to wrap AROUND the edges.

My building skills were minimal at that time.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 18:10, Michael Baker wrote:
I constructed one years ago that broke down.

I hate it when that happens...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
There are cam and post knockdown fittings availible from woodworking stores like Rockler, you see them on cheap office furniture.
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
Thanks very much for the ideas! I will research them and let you guys know once I make a decision. Thanks again!

- Jared
Jared Brandt
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I use 1/8 x 1" aluminum angle on the inside with holes drilled for bolts.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
538 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
What about the plastic fixings with a screw that are commonly used to fix kitchen units together? (Well, here in the UK at least.) They could be used inside the box and shouldn't create as much suspicion as a hinge.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
What about painting the hinges to match the interior, or if fabric lined, it only takes a small extra bit to cover a hinge. The only one who should be close enough to make that out would be the person inside...
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
You could also use heavy duty L brackets on the inside.
klefkow
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of klefkow
Check Rockler.com for "knockdown hardware".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fold Flat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL