The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building custom tools (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I was wondering if anyone has an advice on how to have a custom tool made. What I mean by tool is, for example, a custom designed pair of pliers.

Before I get someone saying this is in the wrong section. Smile Let me say that this "tool" I need to have made will be a magic prop. The tool will serve the purpose of rigging an object for a trick to be performed with it.

I was thinking maybe it's a machinist I'm looking for but I'm not certain.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
"Machinists" is where I would look.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Jaxon;
You want someone with a forge. Pliers type of tools are forged (hammer/anvil type of work). Try a blacksmith. Custom hand made pliers will not be cheap.
Jim
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
A machinist might be able to modify an existing tool to perform whatever it is you wish to do. You might have more luck with an amateur/hobbyist, they might be more interested in solving the problem than the professional would be (a lot cheaper as well)
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Ron,

I may be able to help. PM me with more details and I will see what I can do. If it would be better you can also email me at bartlett50@cox.net

Tom
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks everyone.

Actually this tool will be very easy to make for someone who knows how to make such things. I could make one out of wood that would probably work for a little while. But obviously a metal one would work much better and last longer.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to this one. It's not a new trick but it's something that make a trick we already know much easier to set up. You'd usually have to spend a while setting this up at home before a show this tool will allow you to set up during a performance.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Ron,

You asked for help and I offered to help if I can. I can't help if you don't give me more information though.

Respectfully,
Tom Bartlett
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-24 13:45, Jaxon wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Actually this tool will be very easy to make for someone who knows how to make such things. <snip>
Ron Jaxon

This type of comment is the "kiss of death" for any project as far as I am concerned. If it is so easy, make it yourself. This type of comment minimizes the skills/knowledge, equipment investment, etc. of someone who can do the job. Along with this comment is usually "all I need is..." and "I do not want to spend much on this...". Yeah, right. Any such comment says it all.
Jim
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Jim, don't be so hard on Ron. What he said was "...very easy to make for someone who knows how to make such things..." He's obviously seeking out someone who knows how to make such things.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Jim's comment cracks me up actually. Especially after looking at his site and seeing that he's either a machinist or knows quite a bit about it. It seems he'd know that there are occasions when someone needs to hire an expert to get things made for them. He must think I'm such a good magician that I can wave my wand and make all the machines and tools I'd need to make this appear out of thin air. Not to mention I'd be able to cause the knowledge needed to make it instantly appear in my brain. I feel like such an idiot for spending all that time in school and studying other interests. I was so stupid to hire that artist to make a painting of my family. I should have done that myself in an instant. Thanks for being a fan of my magic ability but I'm not that good.

Anyway, I found someone who can make it for me. He's got the tools to make what I need made. He's a machinist so it'll be easy for him to make it.

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I'm going to side with Jim on this one. R&D work is not that easy. For every one good you make, you have spent hours and ruined a lot of material. Seldom does the price of a one of equalize the price realized for a prop.

As for making a tool, I would look at existing tools. For instance a plier can be modified to set the wire in rolling metal. I know I have done it. You are going to save a lot of money and it will be exactly what you want. Maybe after you get a good working prototype, someone can make a better quality tool for you to use.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
No, I can't make it myself. If I could do that then why would I have bothered to even bring it up here. It's so funny how someone can pick one sentence out of an entire post and think they know all about my morals and ethics.

Let me break it down.

I made one but the material isn't strong enough.

I need one made out of stronger material. Metal would be best.

I don't know how to work with metal and I wasn't sure who I should contact to find the right kind of people to "hire" to make one.

Since this is a magic discussion board and this is a tool to accomplish a magic trick. I came here to see if anyone might be able to shine some light on the problem. Silly me for thinking someone might offer advice as I try to do as often and I can in here. I'll say again the sentence that Jim seemed to feel was worth jumping on.

Someone who knows how to cut and shape metal to form this tool. It would be an easy job for them. I guess I'll spell out the rest too. I'd do it myself but I don't know how to do the skills that are required and I don't have the tools to do so either.

"Yeah, right. Any such comment says it all."

Ron Jaxon

David Bond
View Profile
Regular user
Maple Valley, WA
107 Posts

Profile of David Bond
As someone who wrote software for a robotics company that made and used tools, I understand exactly what Jaxon is saying. It takes skills and tools. I learned a lot about machining when I worked there, but I am no machinist. I just wrote the software that manipulated the machines. The design of a tool is more critical than the design of a prop. It requires greater strength and precision.

I am glad you were able to find someone to help you.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I once asked a inventor how long it took him to make his invention. He said all his life.
That as an example, what some are saying here is; You don't tell people who have invested a lifetime developing the skills, it would be easy to make. It's no less than an insult to say it. If you can not do it yourself you have no idea if it's easy or not. Most of the people that can make it, have spent years to developing these skills, and they should be treated with respect.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I do cabinetry and it is pretty easy for me because I've been doing it for a while. For someone that hasn't done it before, then it wouldn't be so easy. That is all Ron is saying. He wasn't trying to put down and metal workers by saying it would be easy for them. Isn't most magic pretty easy after you have been doing it a while? Now for someone that hasn't done it before, then it may not be so easy.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Good grief! Let's drop this. That's not what he meant, and I think we all know it. Give it a rest and let's return to the subject at hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building custom tools (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL