The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Healed And Sealed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MyTurnPlzAA
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
288 Posts

Profile of MyTurnPlzAA
Hi all,

Can someone tell me what this effect is like? Is it worth the money and can any can be used??? Pm if its a bit, you know, to post.

Regards

James
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
The effect is great -- it's worth more than the price Anders is asking for it. Any can can be used, but there are some that will work better for reasons you'll find out when you get the manuscript. However, the can must be prepared in advance. It will only take a few moments, but must be done away from anyone. A bathroom is a good place to do this.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
MyTurnPlzAA
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
288 Posts

Profile of MyTurnPlzAA
Ok that's what I mean. It would be better if you could go up to anyone drinking a can and do the effect there and then Smile
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Then that would be a real miracle and I'd pay more than £10 for it.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
You can buy it for alot less than 10 pounds. I think it is about $9 at Ellusionist and is a bargain at that price.
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
I love healed and sealed. I do it and people's eyes just get huge. It's very powerful magic.The only down side is what you said, you can't just go up to someone, take their can and refill it. You could probably switch the cans if you're good at that sort of thing.
One way would be to have the gaffed can under a table and to borrow an empty can, then "accidently" drop the real empty can and switch it with the gaffed can.
Anyway, it's a great trick and I highly recomend it. Also, if you skip the phase where the can's dents pop out, you can set it up in about 5 seconds.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
It isn't impromptu by any means but it is a very nice effect. Takes quite a bit of set up but I agree...well worth it!
Smile
Daniel Faith
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
Oh, and don't buy "re-pop" or any other "rip-off" get the original Anders Moden version.
-Vincenzo
pyro
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of pyro
Just thought I'd tell you that you can't do the trick close-up, you have to stand well away from the spectators.
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
Actually I've gotten away with it close up.
tankk
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of tankk
Works fine up close and purchase the original Anders Moden version.

Kevin
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Sounds like a great effect but from what I have heard, Blain is the only one that can do it on tv.
So what happens if they post it on a news channel while they are viewing your performance?
Do you get into trouble for that?
Michael Macdonald
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
Hmm, never happened to me. Blaine has tv rights until 2005 I think, but I'm sure you can do your best not to do that trick on tv.
Why? are you on tv often?
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Quote:

On 2003-01-10 19:13, Vincenzo wrote:
if you skip the phase where the can's dents pop out, you can set it up in about 5 seconds.

?? Why would you skip this part? It's the most amazing part!! Heck, I'd say it's the whole trick!
Timbo637
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Timbo637
This is a great trick. For the reactions you get the "price is right".
Tim Dunning
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Graham_Salisbury
This is an extremely clever effect and "Why-didn't-I-Think-of-That" simple.

Although it isn't impromptu you may like to note that the prepared can may be left for quite a long while before performing the feat. I have left a can for over two hours, then retrieved it from a bin and - WOW! it restores right before your eyes. Smile

The reason I mention this is that with a little preparation and planning this effect can be made to LOOK completely impromptu. And no-one will *EVER* forget it. Smile

Quote:
Blaine has tv rights until 2005 I think

Yes this is true but that shouldn't stop you using it.

If you are producing your own promo video, then you should still be able to perform it. I believe the rights only apply to media which will be broadcast or sold to the general public.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On 2003-01-11 21:37, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
Sounds like a great effect but from what I have heard, Blain is the only one that can do it on tv.
So what happens if they post it on a news channel while they are viewing your performance?
Do you get into trouble for that?
Michael Macdonald

If someone else were to record and broadcast your performance without your knowledge or consent, then you'd be off the hook. The network would be in trouble.

However, I'm not sure that the TV rights thing would stand up in court. Given that magic tricks themselves are rarely protected by intellectual property law, it's unlikely that anyone would really need to seek a performance licence for an effect.
Anders Moden
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Anders Moden
The way I see it is that when I have granted exclusive TV rights for David Blaine for this trick, I do everything in my power to inform everyone of this.

I can only think that if ONE person does it on TV, pretty soon others will say: "well, HE/SHE did it, why can't I do it?".

The tools we have to protect our art isn't the same as big corporations have to protect their products. What do we have is our common interest for the survival of magic. i e trying to educate each other, evolving, developing new methods, keeping the secrets to ourselves - and so on.

I would like to think that the wish for David Blaine to be exclusive in this on TV a couple of more years could be respected, without getting into speculations what would happend if...
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
With all the time and energy it takes for that "one guy" to figure out how to "beat the system" a halfway decent performer could
come up with several new effects on his own.

Pay for Ander's hard work and effort to bring the public a near miracle. I did.

And if you think you may be on TV, don't be a fool and blow your big chance trying to rip off someone elses work. Create a never before seen miracle of your own. (or buy the rights if you have the spare coin to do so.)

Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On 2003-01-20 17:26, Anders Moden wrote:

I would like to think that the wish for David Blaine to be exclusive in this on TV a couple of more years could be respected, without getting into speculations what would happend if...

You're quite right, Anders, and I should clarify that my post was in no way intended to be a justification of any attempt to perform the trick on TV without permission. I was pointing out that legally a violator would likely not be in hot water. I should have added that as a matter of ethics, they'd have a tough time justifying their actions.

It's an issue I've discussed on other threads in the past, and I've always made a distinction between the legal and ethical impact of such things as exposure, usage, and ripoffs.

Legally speaking, creators of effects are offered little or no protection. Ethically, we have to hope that members of the magic community continue to adhere to a code that has been in place for centuries. So far, even in the Internet era, the number of violators has been small and those that have violated the code have been reviled, as they should be, on this and other sites.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Healed And Sealed (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL