The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I have challenged Mr. Randi » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12..19..26..33..40..44~45~46 [Next]
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Here's my own challenge to you believers. My Grandmother's maiden name. If someone accepts this I will PM it to Steve Brooks or any Admin staff and when revealed I will pay $1,000,000 dollars or equivalent.

To MOTA I will bring you a cancer patient and you must heal them completely. Same reward applies.

Off you go. For the record and my own opinion is, there are some delusional people on this board.

Posted: Jan 24, 2007 5:14am
-------------------------------------------------
Tried to edit but I can't so I post again. Just to applaud Scott Xavier, the voice of sense.

Also all those crying that Randi is "arrogant, rude blah blah," if you don't like his test there are many others. Go to link below and click on world challenges (under links tab). Choose one of them.
http://www.aske.org.uk/
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
I don't believe that Randi will back down from the challenge, I believe that he just won't care because it is quite silly. Nothing can be proven, or disproven for that matter, from this as this is an opinion based experiment.
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Harry, well said. Randi may back down, but there are others that will put up money, now lets see if the other side steps up!
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
You can't beat Randi. As the great Robert A. Wilson said: Whatever the Thinker thinks; the Prover proves.

Hail Eris

Rick
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
If Randi and Mota can agree on the rules, Mota's challenge should be accepted under Randi's "Current" yet waffleing rules Smile
Scott......Shame on you! Are you saying that a person has to have "Marketing Skills" in order to have some Psychic ability? Please correct me if I
m wrong here.I know ALL kinds of people who would NEVER go on TV for various reasons. If one of them had some Psychic skill, they would go unnoticed.
I think that Mota's challenge is a valid one.
Randi is once again "Backing Down" Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Wowsa - this thread also has not been swallowed up - has the whole world gone topsy turvy!?!?!?!?

In any case, I posted in another thread how to win the challenge - it however invovles likely spending more than $1M - but think of the satisfaction.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Mota can win for real! But Randi will dodge him Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
I never realized how obsessed people are with Geller and Randi until I signed on here.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2007-01-24 02:44, Scott Xavier wrote:
I can honestly say this looks like an attempt at publicity and a cry for attention. I feel randi wont go for it. Why try and be challenged? Its up to you to prove yourself.

[snip]
Better yet, why should they care about you? Kid you have no street cred....
Slims daughter has more of a name than you.

Bravo! Let's stop feeding the trolls.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Trolls need love and food too I think.

Oh wait - that was the troll from Dora the explora (my daughter watches that)... I suppose most trolls just want to eat people alive piece by bloody piece?
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Is Mota claiming he is genuinely psychic? I can't quite wade through the waffle of his and Slim's post.
He is clearly unstable,at least.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Having lived under a bridge and been taunted by goats, I have a fair understanding of what constitutes a troll. Applying it to Mota is unfair, as is Scott's calling him a goat! Let's stop the insults.

Mota has challenged Randi by accepting, in part, Randi's Challenge. In doing this, he has done as many here have advised and suggested. as such, I find it funny that he is being rebuked for accepting the challenge and applying.

Tony
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
He may have applied but it's a pointless test!

It's like saying I will make a cake and Delia Smith (famous UK cook)makes a cake. But the two people chosen will know my cake is better than Delia's! So what?
Doesn't mean nothing.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
"Doesn't mean nothing. " (Double negative)

Exactly, it mean's something!

If he had not applied, he would have been told that if he felt he was "real" he should have applied. Now that he has taken that step, he is told this?

Give the guy a break.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Tony - you are surprised at this? C'mon - you are Tony Eye - you must have realized this!

(Pssst - its a demographic cold reading technique - you got so exasperated you forgot we are on the Penny for your thoughts forum!!!!)
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Wow...I'm doing stuff in downtown Dallas, stopped by a library and looked...man a couple of you get excited.

I haven't seen my e-mail yet so I don't know if I have a response...I'll post later tonight. Despite my feelings on Randi specifically I expect he will be professional and polite.

So just touch on a few thoughts.

The publicity of a big show would be very problematic for me. Many of the readers I have met here use stage names because some sitters will come and knock on your door. Still this test should be done in a public forum so everyone can see what happens and make their own conclusions.

Except for Magnus and one comment by Scott there hasn't been much in the way of personal attacks. I've come to expect such replies from Magnus...I still read his posts and sometimes they have content...Scott surprised me a little.

Scott, this kid is old enough to be your grandfather. Me and the wife feed some stray cats at our complex....there is one orange cat we call Mooches...he is old and getting gray and missing teeth. I like him...we got a lot in common.

I don't do healing...as far as that post goes. I am offering a challenge with readings. As far as the maiden name goes I think you may be setting yourself up for some magician to nail you...but that is up to you. You clearly don't understand the difference between a reading and a psychic trick.

I think cold reading is a psychic trick...real reading isn't. Hopefully I cleared that up.

As Tony pointed out no matter what some skeptics seem to whine...be tested if you believe it...OK...it's not a good test...some of you guys aren't any different than a fundamentalist preacher...slip-slide away.

Banachek was mentioned as a thought as he is local. Since he is too busy to deal with this maybe the fellow who suggested he was too busy should e-mail him. He has the section on exposure on his site as one thing he does...he obviously doesn't know yet he is too busy and needs you to tell him so he can remove this section.

I am looking for a skeptic who will do good a good job with a cold reading. Another person I had in mind was Joe Nickel...intelligent, experienced in the world, would do a very good job presenting the cold reading point of view, and wouldn't have his ego involved. I just figured Banny was way closer.

But there are many possibilities. A while back there were interesting discussions about Ian Rowland's Cold Reading book with passionate supporters of how good a reader this would make you.

So, where are you guys?

Let's test the readings side-by-side in public.

I don't suppose Ian Rowland will be around any time soon...it's a long way from England. I would enjoy doing readings next to him but I can sure understand how being in England might make that a bit inconvenient.

I saw my wife for lunch and told her about these posts. She pointed out something.

The lack of intellectual curiosity among the nay-sayers is remarkable. I've offered to do this straight up...I really thought that at least one of you know-it-all skeptics would have the curiosity to see what would really happen.

I am curious...as some here know I used to be of the skeptic camp...then went over to cold readings...many years back I helped Marc Sky with one of the late Herb Dewey's books...it was the one where he recommends going through the bathroom garbage at a psi-party...at the time, with a skeptics mind this seemed like a good idea...now I think it is pretty stupid and unnecessary.

I've been the skeptic, gone to cold readings, and now learned to really do it (yes, I do psychic readings...if there was confusion let's clear that up again...).

I am curious what would happen...obviously I think Rowland or anyone else who would take this challenge would end up looking pretty lame in comparison.

But still, I'm curious...what would happen in a side-by-side test.

It's a pity that no skeptics are...they already know the answers.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I hate to rain on the parade, but mota has not applied.

Filling out an application clearly stating exactly what you can do, to what degree of accuracy, and how you propose to demonstrate it, then having it notarized and sending it in with the required documentation = applying.

Firing off an email saying "Your rules don't work for me so here are mine instead," then proposing a laughable test with the same chance of success as a coin flip, knowing all along that it will serve no purpose beyond earning you some congratulatory backslaps from some of your peers = posturing.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I challenged Mr Randi to a dance off. I never heard back. I will try Geller next, and failing that I will issue a challenge to Criss Angel.

I am the greatest dancer the mentalism world has ever seen!
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
After reading this whole thread, I think I started realising why exactly Randi has changed the rules of the challenge..
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Salsa, I'll see your irrelavent challenge and raise you one: I hereby challenge Kreskin to a cutting contest at the piano. Gene Neilsen too. Heck, I'll take them both on at once. I will channel the spirits of Ray Charles, Professor Longhair, and Dr, John*, and I will be known henceforth as the supreme pianist in all of mentalism!

*Yes, I know he's still alive, but he's a Hoodoo priest, so he can lend out his spirit once in a while.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I have challenged Mr. Randi » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12..19..26..33..40..44~45~46 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL